Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

06 Airbag Light - How much $$$??

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012 | 02:42 PM
burley
|
6th Gear
06 Airbag Light - How much $$$??

I've read a ton of posts, but can't seem to find a fix. Mines an 06, so I'm guessing its the seat sensor. There's a weird thing poking up form the passenger cushion, almost looks like a button (rounded end, about the side of a pencil eraser). Not sure if thats related, but its a little annoying. If I move the seat up or down the light sometimes goes away.

Question is: Anyone get the dealer to fix this for free since there are multiple service bulletins for the problem. http://www.automd.com/recall-tsb/sea...e=53&model=872

Also, will the airbag fire or not? I'm sure this is the million dollar question… I see lots of complaints but not many solutions when searching.. Thanks!

Old 07-22-2012 | 03:38 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
I've got the same problem, if it's the seat sensor you're looking at around $1,400. There doesn't seem to be a clear answer on whether the airbag will fire or not. Wish I could be more helpful.

Originally Posted by burley
I've read a ton of posts, but can't seem to find a fix. Mines an 06, so I'm guessing its the seat sensor. There's a weird thing poking up form the passenger cushion, almost looks like a button (rounded end, about the side of a pencil eraser). Not sure if thats related, but its a little annoying. If I move the seat up or down the light sometimes goes away.

Question is: Anyone get the dealer to fix this for free since there are multiple service bulletins for the problem. http://www.automd.com/recall-tsb/sea...e=53&model=872

Also, will the airbag fire or not? I'm sure this is the million dollar question… I see lots of complaints but not many solutions when searching.. Thanks!

Old 07-22-2012 | 03:43 PM
smieska
3rd Gear
I have on 07 R52 with the pencil eraser thing sticking up as well. Passenger SRS light on and does not go off. Dealer says $1K should cover the replacement, Just having a hard time justifying that kind of money to turn off a light. I dont ride on that side very often and my wife is really struggling with the cost so for now I have a red light on my dash that adds ambiance at night.

Old 07-22-2012 | 04:18 PM
burley
|
6th Gear
I wonder if a new (used) seat would be cheaper.. Seems like with all the TSBs there'd be a single dealership willing to fix this for free.

Old 07-22-2012 | 04:21 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
There was a member a while back that reported that he peeled the sensor off a used seat bottom, and reglued it to his old seat...think that is what he did...still had pay the dealer to reset the light. Maybe he will chime in.

Old 07-22-2012 | 04:52 PM
burley
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by smieska
I have on 07 R52 with the pencil eraser thing sticking up as well.
What the hell could that possibly be? I've seen photos of the sensor and it looks flat.

Old 07-22-2012 | 04:55 PM
Doug Fowley
2nd Gear
dealer in Portland said 900.00 to fix. Mine was also an 06. did not fix, decided it was time to get a new JCW.

Old 07-22-2012 | 05:08 PM
burley
|
6th Gear
Old 07-22-2012 | 05:30 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Interesting, but not a lot of information on the site. If someone can attest that it works, I'll get one.

Old 07-22-2012 | 05:32 PM
burley
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by smieska
I have on 07 R52 with the pencil eraser thing sticking up as well.
Also, when I sit in the seat (light on), all I have to do is push on the eraser button thing in the seat and the light goes off. WTF?? Is there just one pressure point? Its off to (my) right, just close enough to the back of the seat where you would never trigger it just by sitting down. Seems like a dumb place for a sensor. Thinking of going in the seat and moving it.

Old 07-22-2012 | 05:35 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Also, when I sit in the seat (light on), all I have to do is push on the eraser button thing in the seat and the light goes off. WTF?? Is there just one pressure point? Its off to (my) right, just close enough to the back of the seat where you would never trigger it just by sitting down. Seems like a dumb place for a sensor. Thinking of going in the seat and moving it.
Interesting. My light used to be on all the time, passenger or no. Then it was intermittent. Now it's off 90% of the time if no passenger, but when someone sits in the seat, it lights up. I haven't felt any bumps, but I'm going out to the car right now to look for one.

Old 07-22-2012 | 06:06 PM
Cole9953
4th Gear
I'd buy it in a heart beat if i knew more about it and if it really worked

Old 07-22-2012 | 06:08 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Cole9953
I'd buy it in a heart beat if i knew more about it and if it really worked
I'm also concerned that it might just disable the light, and not ensure the airbag will fire in the case of a collision. I'd feel pretty bad if my girlfriend got all mangled because I wanted to save a few bucks on car repair

Old 07-22-2012 | 06:44 PM
burley
|
6th Gear
Why isn't this a recall yet?? I hope everyone already registered a complaint with the NHTSA.. I've read at least 40-50 complaints on NAM alone - If everyone registered a complaint this would be a free repair by now.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...callsearch.cfm

Old 07-22-2012 | 08:20 PM
Cole9953
4th Gear
I did. also after speaking with many mechanics both mini and private, i am 98% sure that when the lights are on the bag is not going off.....

why would the default not be ON???? makes no sense to me.

Old 07-23-2012 | 01:06 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
That vendor is based in Europe and their website is targeted at European customers. You should check with them directly, but I doubt that their product was designed for USA spec seat mats. My understanding is that the mats used here are exclusive for the US to meet US regulations, and different from everywhere else. MINI even had to change stitching in the seat bottom so it won't interfere with the US version of the mat.

Euro Lounge Leather:

U.S. Lounge Leather:

Old 07-23-2012 | 09:12 AM
burley
|
6th Gear
So it seems like I can feel about 6 of the little "eraser" sized buttons (on outside edges along the seam) which when pushed, get rid of the light. How exactly does the weight detection work? Seems like there are separate weight sensors (that actually work) to measure whether there's <80lbs. Those sensors (under the center of the cushion) seem very sensitive and work great. Are the sensors on the outside edge for >80lbs? What weight triggers the 1st stage (less powerful airbags)? The bags aren't just on/off, they have off - low speed - full speed, right?? I wonder if the low speed will at least go off when the light is on.

Old 07-23-2012 | 06:23 PM
burley
|
6th Gear
Dealer quoted $1,000-$1,200 (depending on which seat). My black english leather seats are a little extra. Its a shame you can't just replace the sensor.. you have to replace the entire seat cushion. They claim that if MINI ever issues a recall that I'd be reimbursed. Anyone take the plunge and get the work done? Any more issues afterwards? Since these things are so prone to failure, I'm weary that the damn thing will break just after the 2 year warranty for parts.

Old 07-23-2012 | 06:55 PM
smieska
3rd Gear
I spoke with my SA today and he quoted me $1,150 for replacement of the pad. So far I cant justify spending that kind of money for a replacement.

Old 07-23-2012 | 07:32 PM
SunnySideUp
3rd Gear
I had the same issue and I didn't bother getting it repaired. I rarely had passengers in my car and then finally this past month I traded in the car towards my new CM.

I'd wait on getting it fixed until you need/want to.

Old 07-23-2012 | 08:14 PM
burley
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
I had the same issue and I didn't bother getting it repaired. I rarely had passengers in my car and then finally this past month I traded in the car towards my new CM.

I'd wait on getting it fixed until you need/want to.
Did you let the buyer know of the problem? This is how I ended up with this issue.. I JUST bought the car from a private party last week.. Had it inspected at the Naperville MINI (Chicago) and they mentioned nothing wrong.. So I bought it. 2 days later I noticed the airbag didn't work and its too late. I told them to look at the car from TOP TO BOTTOM.

Do buyers (private party) have any recourse? Seller disclosed nothing. Do I have any recourse with the MINI dealership?? I sent the seller an email and I got no response.

Old 07-23-2012 | 08:19 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
I was toying with the idea of trading in for a Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart. They said, "if you're thinking of making this deal, don't bother fixing that airbag light. I'm not going to give you any more money for your car."

I'd guess you're out of luck... it's going to be impossible to prove that the light was on already, and they knew about it. It could have been an unfortunate coincidence, after all. I assume the light wasn't on when you test drove/purchased it/took it in for inspection?

Did you let the buyer know of the problem? This is how I ended up with this issue.. I JUST bought the car from a private party last week.. Had it inspected at the Naperville MINI (Chicago) and they mentioned nothing wrong.. So I bought it. 2 days later I noticed the airbag didn't work and its too late. I told them to look at the car from TOP TO BOTTOM.

Do buyers (private party) have any recourse? Seller disclosed nothing. Do I have any recourse with the MINI dealership?? I sent the seller an email and I got no response.

Old 07-23-2012 | 08:28 PM
SunnySideUp
3rd Gear

There was no buyer as it was traded into a MINI dealer. I WOULD NOT have sold it to a person without fixing or disclosing the problem. I can't imagine that they'd be able to sell the car to someone with this issue as both the red and yellow lights were on.

It sux that the lights came on right after you bought your car. You did the right thing by having it checked out but this issue still cropped up just a fews days later. Maybe since you just had the car there to have it checked out the dealer will give you a discount towards the repair.

Old 07-23-2012 | 08:43 PM
burley
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
There was no buyer as it was traded into a MINI dealer. I WOULD NOT have sold it to a person without fixing or disclosing the problem. I can't imagine that they'd be able to sell the car to someone with this issue as both the red and yellow lights were on.

It sux that the lights came on right after you bought your car. You did the right thing by having it checked out but this issue still cropped up just a fews days later. Maybe since you just had the car there to have it checked out the dealer will give you a discount towards the repair.
The light came on when the seller rode in the passenger seat, but it went off after a few minutes so I didn't worry about it. Didn't have a passenger for 3 days, so I didn't notice. I mentioned it to the seller, and he said "oh, that goes away" and I didn't pay attention. Stupid!!!!

Maybe I'll make a stink at the dealership and they'll give me a 10% off coupon. ANYONE HAVE AN EXTRA 10% OFF COUPON???

Old 07-23-2012 | 09:25 PM
Sp4rtan
2nd Gear
Seat sensor

FWIW, here is a picture of the seat sensor in my '06 with the seat cover removed. As you can see it is basically a flat sheet trying to conform to a non-flat cushion - which is why you get little bits poking up. I used some double-sided carpet tape to stick it down. The whole thing is a flexible printed circuit so I would imagine there is lot's of potential for breaks in the circuitry. I think it is a crock that they won't sell the sensor element separately - it would be a relatively easy job to replace it since the seat cover is secured with hog rings, not glued on like the seat backs.

Attached Thumbnails 06 Airbag Light - How much $$$??-p1000911.jpg  

Quick Reply: 06 Airbag Light - How much $$$??