Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Chasing a creak. Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 03:58 PM
trippinbillies40
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chasing a creak. Ideas?

So I have a creak on my front end somewhere. It sounds like it's on the front left side. The best I can describe it is that it happens after the car has been driven for awhile and warms up, and you can here it as well as feel it just a little through the steering wheel and pedals. It seems to slowly be getting worse over time. Here's what I've replaced so far:

-Koni double adjustable shocks were put on, and the problem started occuring maybe a month or so after
-Went to the 24mm front bar, and the bushings looked ok but they were used, not new
-New strut top plate bearings. You can see down into the bearing now since the koni adjuster is there. Maybe dirst got down in there? The bearings are new as of the Konis going on, so maybe 3 months old?
-New hubs and axles
-All the motor mounts and the transmission mount were just replaced.

The steering feels very tight and I have no vibrations. Perhaps a ball joint or a control arm bushing? I'm just getting tired of throwing money at this thing chasing this sound.

Can anyone recommend a good lubricant that I can start spraying stuff with? Thanks in advance for any suggestions and help!

Old 08-07-2012, 08:57 AM
leaf_fan_1988
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
If it were a ball joint or control arm bushing I think you'd feel it more in the steering wheel, especially under braking/accelerating.

All you said was that you have a creak, didn't mention if it's when you hit bumps, make turns, or regular driving. And a creak can mean almost anything imaginable.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:25 AM
NYTransplant
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since you have an aftermarket sway bar which likely has urethane bushings, I would start there first. Urethane bushings are known to creak when the lubricant is washed out. Sounds like you did not add lubricant after you checked them.

There are many opinions on lubricants for urethane. I personally like Copper Anti-Seize. I've heard that Teflon tape works too.