Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Plume of blue smoke when cold taking off

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 06:41 AM
SooperCuperErik
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Plume of blue smoke when cold taking off

So, everything was running fine. This weekend I was at my parents place and took advantage of having a garage, I:

1) Changed the oil
2) Pulled my plugs and checked condition/gap
3) Swapped my open element filter back to the stock intake
4) Removed the intake manifold pcv hose and plugged the holes with the Peugeot caps.
5) Installed the BSH Catch can on the pre-turbo side.

Some notes.. I used a Mobil 1 5W40 high mileage synthetic oil for the first time.. filled it up.. noticed the dipstick line was still low, so I topped it off.

Then I finished #2-5. Started the car back up and realized the exhaust was blowing some gray smoke but it didn't smell like oil... more like rich fuel smell. Idled for about 3 minutes as I tried to diagnose the issue.. shut it off and recheck the oil level, now it was WAY high. I drove it around the neighborhood got it up to temperature, and when I came back.. no more smoke.

Thinking a tiny bit of oil over wasn't a big deal, I left it alone. I drove back to my apartment (60 miles), power was there, everything felt great.

Next morning I went to work, and cold start, drove the car about 1.5 miles to the first stop light, stopped for about 20 seconds. I noticed from my mirror there was some smoke... but once I took off, a big plume of blue smoke in the rear view. After that... nothing. Figured the extra oil was getting through the rings and burning off..

I got home and extracted about 5/8 quart oil (to get back to normal level). Started the car back up, cold again, idled.. no smoke. I drove it to the same stop light... even got out, no smoke. Phew, figured I fixed the issue.

Now 2 days later this morning, same stop light, I took off and again, big plume of blue smoke. BLAH.

Now before I jump to a stuck ring from carbon, or some internal engine problem as we all like to do... I want to evaluate the variables that were clearly changed when there was no smoke to when there was smoke.

1) Could the car not like the high mileage oil additives? Still... not sure how it'd be burning off to create smoke on cold idle... unless the rings havne't expanded and some oil gets through..

2) I know many people have plugged the IM side PCV... and installed the OCC on the other side. I noticed the outlet tube of the OCC going into the turbo inlet tube was pretty oily after 2 days... suprisingly. The can looks like it has a layer of liquid at the bottom, but nothing has reached the OCC dip stick yet... could it be a defective can?

2) I made sure the caps on the IM PCV were tight.. but maybe I need to recheck it.

3) I can't imagine the intake is causing any issues, as I've used it before and nothing would make sense to relate to this.

4) All the spark gaps were fine, and I ensured I tightened them properly.

My thoughts are to remove the OCC to see if the problem still happens... but, I'd probably want to put the pcv hose on the IM back right? This would be a ***** without removing the IM since I pulled the tube out and rerouting it would suck some.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:30 AM
KenWarren
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would think it's a problem with seals or rings; oil is making it into the cylinders and burning. It could be because the engine was overfilled with oil; this can result in oil in the intake tract, which will then get into the cylinders and burn. If that were the case, though, I would expect it to happen whether the engine was cold or warm.

I would take it in for a check-up.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:53 AM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Sounds like there's some kind of issue with the catch can or with the PCV delete. Time to undo those and see if the problem recurs.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:01 PM
gregsmini
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some notes.. I used a Mobil 1 5W40 high mileage synthetic oil for the first time.. filled it up.. noticed the dipstick line was still low, so I topped it off.

From the Mini/USA website:
Long-life rating LL-01 Approved Synthetic Oils for the US Market
  • - Castrol Syntec European Formula SAE 0W-30
  • - Mobil 1 SAE 0W-40
  • - Pennzoil Platinum European Formula Ultra SAE 5W-30
  • - Valvoline SynPower SAE 5W-30
I use the Mobil 1 SAE 0W-40 motor oil and never had a problem. I don't think the Mobil 1 5W40 meets the LL-01 rating. Just thought I'd point this out, not trying to be a smart_ss.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:12 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I have to think its something to do with your Catch can and PCV cap...

Just for curiousity sake though, have you pulled the plugs since this occurred? I'd be curious to see if they have any oil on them and maybe take a peek in the cylinder to see if there is any oil sitting on top of the piston...

Old 07-27-2012, 10:34 AM
SooperCuperErik
4th Gear
It may not be rated by MINI for long life rating, but it meets german/european A3/B3 rating. I also don't wait the 15k miles to change my oil either.... so I don't need the long life oils.

But, thanks for the notice though. I am considering the change of oil type as a possibility, but its slim imo.

Originally Posted by gregsmini

From the Mini/USA website:
Long-life rating LL-01 Approved Synthetic Oils for the US Market
  • - Castrol Syntec European Formula SAE 0W-30
  • - Mobil 1 SAE 0W-40
  • - Pennzoil Platinum European Formula Ultra SAE 5W-30
  • - Valvoline SynPower SAE 5W-30
I use the Mobil 1 SAE 0W-40 motor oil and never had a problem. I don't think the Mobil 1 5W40 meets the LL-01 rating. Just thought I'd point this out, not trying to be a smart_ss.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:36 AM
SooperCuperErik
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
I have to think its something to do with your Catch can and PCV cap...

Just for curiousity sake though, have you pulled the plugs since this occurred? I'd be curious to see if they have any oil on them and maybe take a peek in the cylinder to see if there is any oil sitting on top of the piston...
Yeah blake, I'm going to do that when I remove the can. I had used some techron a week before this and when I pulled the plugs last weekend I was amazed looking to the piston top that there was not the typical layer of black I am used to seeing... the DI injector may be helping clean that off with the techron in the fuel. I'll check plugs again this weekend, and pull the can.

Seeing that it only happens when cold and only once, I'm really hopeful that theres no piston/ring/valve guide seal damage.