Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Nasal, whining sound??

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 07:02 AM
davavd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nasal, whining sound??

Yesterday evening, on the way home from work, I noticed a new sound coming from the engine bay (06 S). It was a whine which was audible when I accelerated, and became inaudible at highway speed. It was 98 degrees, so I didn't feel like poking around a hot engine bay when I got home. I looked around this morning and did not find any of the things I imagined (filthy or imploded air filter (Promini intake w/ cone filter), plastic bag lodged where it shouldn't be, etc.). All I saw that might have not been normal was that the smooth side of the serpentine belt had a "glazed" appearance, but I can't remember if this is different. I was thinking "if I hear the noise when I start it, I go to the shop", but I did NOT hear it, nor was it there when I got to work, 26 miles later. My serpentine belt is at 54K, so it IS about time to replace it. Does anybody have any thoughts on the "whine". Could it be the AC compressor or supercharger preparing to grind to a halt (my worst imaginings as I was trying to go to sleep last night)?

Old 08-01-2012, 02:13 PM
ERIK06MCS
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Diagnosing a noise over written words is about impossible. A whine to you may be a squeal to another or a whistle to someone else. Without having any idea where it may be coming from also doesn't help.

The people that get the best help attach a video of the noise while driving. That will help narrow things down. But if it doesn't do it again or you can't get a video it'll be pretty stinky opinions flinging around here...

Whine could be from supercharger (normal but could be made louder with loose intake or air filter that has fallen off, power steering fan running, radiator fan on high, etc. Belts and pulleys tend to squeal. Vacuum leaks tend to whistle. I dunno what else to really say.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:43 AM
davavd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I took my mechanic for a ride and he couldn't hear anything odd. I KNOW the noise is still there, I'm leaning toward supercharger, but the air filter is on and intact, and the hose going to it is on. Weird thing is, I can hear it clearly with the top up and windows closed (rainy or really hot day), but with the top down, nothing! As of now, my strategy is keep driving until something breaks.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:21 AM
04liquidS
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had my PTO gear start to go out on my 04. It was making a 2nd audible whine through the gears.

I made a youtube video, but its hard to hear. Does it sound anything like this?

That whisteling is actually my idler pully dieing. I replaced all of that in Febuary. Its a pain to hear but theres a 2nd lower sounding whine coming from the charger.