Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

P0442 code and check gas cap light

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 04:22 PM
joshbagosh
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
P0442 code and check gas cap light

My issue first started when I changed my pulley out on my 2005 R53. We put it all back together and I took off for a quick drive. Came back and the check gas cap light was on. I did so and then it went off. The next day the SES light came on. Code was P0456 (small Evan leak detected).I first replaced the gas cap with an aftermarket cap from the local part store, no luck. Then I had a few lines replaced that appeared to have melted and the light still came back on. Had it smoke tested and tried replacing the leake detection pump in the Evan system. Light came back on but reading code P0442. Couldn't figure it out. So I tried a new fuel tank vent valve (the piece under the hood by the intercooler). Reset the light and then days later the check gas cap light comes back on and then the next day the SES light is back on for code P0442. I reset it and the check gas cap light came back on again.

Is there anyone that can give me some direction? I'm lost as to what to try next. Is my problem the aftermarket gas cap? Should I get the cap from the dealership? I am sick of chasing this issue.

- your annoyed and desperate fellow MINI enthusiast.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:00 PM
Professor
5th Gear
Your tank vent valve is either bad, or installed upside down (it can happen). That or one of your evap lines are lose or broken.

The tank vent valve is the black item mounted just in front of the upper engine mount.

Check your tank vent valve and make sure the electrical plug is facing down, and not up. If its up then the whole valve is upside down.

The following users liked this post:
MCSBen (01-28-2019)
Old 08-07-2012, 05:10 PM
joshbagosh
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Professor
Your tank vent valve is either bad, or installed upside down (it can happen). That or one of your evap lines are lose or broken.

The tank vent valve is the black item mounted just in front of the upper engine mount.

Check your tank vent valve and make sure the electrical plug is facing down, and not up. If its up then the whole valve is upside down.
Wow, I never thought of that. It is on upside down. It was installed upside down when I had the pulley done and it was reinstalled upside down. I will try that! Thank you a bunch!

Old 08-07-2012, 06:14 PM
Professor
5th Gear
The code will remain until the car (DME) performed a tank leak test. Just drive for a bit or have someone clear it.