Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Doesn't start!! i need more ideas

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 08:00 PM
hashishas
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doesn't start!! i need more ideas

First i wanted to say that have red almost every thread about starting problems and tried to fix that car but still cannot get any results. I thought i will try to ask you guys for more tips if there are any.

Car is 2004 mini base model automatic. last week it just didn't start in a morning. All the lights, dash , radio everything works but no crank. After reading here bought new battery - no start. Removed the starter, took it to Autozone for testing - stater is fine. Put it back in, checked all connections to battery, starter cleaned all of them still no start. Checked every single fuse in a car all of them are good. Swapped relays ~25 times still nothing. Tried to start with another key nothing happened.

Last thing i did was to check power to starter. Bigger wire has the power but the smaller doesn't even when i try to start. Now this is there my knowledge ends. My only guess would be ignition switch. Any more ideas?

Old 08-15-2012, 08:40 AM
ERIK06MCS
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Possible ignition switch. Possible bad ground. What's your resistance reading touching engine block and the battery negative post or chassis ground?

May have a bad (small) wire. What happens when you supply power to that wire, essentially jump from a power source like your battery connection under hood to that small wire?

Worst case scenario your engine is seized. But obviously that seems very doubtful given what info you have.

Likely scenario could be bad wire, bad ground, bad sensor. Try playing with your gear selector running back and forth from drive to park. Try starting with car in neutral instead of park. Try borrowing scan tool from autozone to scan vehicle for faults in the ECU?

Old 08-18-2012, 01:01 PM
hashishas
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, it was ignition switch