Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Engine won't start

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012 | 08:15 AM
Scrapps
|
Neutral
Engine won't start

2008 Cooper S Hardtop - stock.

Pulled the car out of the garage this morning (no issues) to put my bikes on top. About 30 minutes passed. Got the bikes on top, kid loaded up, and ready to go, and then... nothing.

I put the keyfob into the holder, foot on the brake, press start. Engine clicks once and doesn't go any further. No engine indicator lights or anything else to tip off that there is an issue from the car. I am parked on an downward incline, and the brake pedal is "hard" to the floor. What does this mean? I can't close/open any windows either. Very strange, almost like the car has locked me out.

Some background, not sure if it is relevant. I had the main water pump replaced several days ago due to some slow leaking. I was told the thermostat is also leaking a little and to monitor the coolant level. I added some water this morning as the level was just below "min". I brought it up to just above "min". Cap is on and tight. I checked to make sure I didn't bump anything else under the bonnet, everything looks good.

My vacation day is fairly ruined at this point, and being sunday, the mini dealer is closed. Any ideas to get me back up and running are appreciated!

Old 09-02-2012 | 08:41 AM
Danske
2nd Gear
Jump start or battery charger. Sounds like a dead battery.

Old 09-02-2012 | 09:01 AM
submitaweasel
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Scrapps
2008 Cooper S Hardtop - stock.

Pulled the car out of the garage this morning (no issues) to put my bikes on top. About 30 minutes passed. Got the bikes on top, kid loaded up, and ready to go, and then... nothing.

I put the keyfob into the holder, foot on the brake, press start. Engine clicks once and doesn't go any further. No engine indicator lights or anything else to tip off that there is an issue from the car. I am parked on an downward incline, and the brake pedal is "hard" to the floor. What does this mean? I can't close/open any windows either. Very strange, almost like the car has locked me out.

Some background, not sure if it is relevant. I had the main water pump replaced several days ago due to some slow leaking. I was told the thermostat is also leaking a little and to monitor the coolant level. I added some water this morning as the level was just below "min". I brought it up to just above "min". Cap is on and tight. I checked to make sure I didn't bump anything else under the bonnet, everything looks good.

My vacation day is fairly ruined at this point, and being sunday, the mini dealer is closed. Any ideas to get me back up and running are appreciated!
If you have SOME electrical power...your battery is probably about to die. I had a Honda that would make some crazy sounds when its battery was almost out of juice...

Old 09-02-2012 | 10:28 AM
k_h_d
6th Gear
Sounds like an easy fix... Classic dead battery symptoms.

Old 09-02-2012 | 12:35 PM
bluefox280
6th Gear
My vacation day is fairly ruined at this point, and being sunday, the mini dealer is closed.
No it's not; head to your local auto-parts store, grab an equivalent sized battery for your MINI and install.
Agreed, its typically battery failure issues you're showing; and on a 2008, you're not going to be covered in terms of "free" replacement from the dealer.

- Erik

Old 09-02-2012 | 02:53 PM
Scrapps
|
Neutral
All, thanks for the thoughts re: the battery. I got to thinking the same thing shortly after the post, but still no luck. Also, I had no issues starting it to get it out of the garage just shortly before this all happened.

I tried jumping the car and I have the same behavior. Despite the "green" dot on the battery, I took a chance and went up to the auto store to get another battery, and did the install. Same behavior. I checked my grounds off the battery and all is fine there. I tried the jump first to the chassis and then straight to the battery negative...

The car is giving me no indicators at all that something is wrong, other than the total lack of electrical power. Dash indicators come on when key is inserted, and I can cycle through the service menu, and the check says "Check OK". I checked some relays and such to see if something went awry there, but can't find anything wrong. I'm a bit stumped, and looks like I'll have to tow on Tuesday. :(

I'll post the findings from the shop...

Old 09-02-2012 | 03:10 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
if not the battery - which would be my guess too

other than the total lack of electrical power

but car IS getting power cuz you can access service menu etc . . .

starter maybe?

is this a manual shift? if so, can you bump start?

Old 09-02-2012 | 03:21 PM
Scrapps
|
Neutral
when i get the fob in, I have access to the menu and the usual interior lights, etc.. work ok. I can still lock/unlock remotely too. I cannot activate any windows though. When i press start without my foot on the brake, i get no fan, no engine check, no audio, nada. It does the exact same thing with the new battery. I'm thinking there's a short in the electronics or similar...

i'm hoping for something simple and I'm just out the tow and diagnostics...I have a bad history of "residual" issues from seemingly unrelated repairs with my local mini shop... I really just think my baby doesn't tolerate doctor visits very well, and her daddy is a bit upset with the $1k just spent on a water pump.

Thanks all.

Old 09-02-2012 | 03:21 PM
Scrapps
|
Neutral
its an auto btw

Old 09-02-2012 | 04:35 PM
submitaweasel
5th Gear
If the windows, stereo, etc weren't acting up, I'd guess, since you said you were hearing a "click" when attempting to start the car, that your starter had bit it and the "click" was the solenoid...but that wouldn't affect the windows or anything else as far as I know...

Old 09-02-2012 | 11:58 PM
1bigpea
4th Gear
Sorry to hear about the problem, please do update on what the issue was.

Old 09-04-2012 | 08:24 AM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
... starter maybe...?
I was starting to think this as well... I had a starter short out on my '89 Firebird a few years ago, and the symptoms were similar to what the OP is describing: some electrical power to some components -- but no crank.

Old 09-04-2012 | 08:39 AM
submitaweasel
5th Gear
Originally Posted by timfitz63
I was starting to think this as well... I had a starter short out on my '89 Firebird a few years ago, and the symptoms were similar to what the OP is describing: some electrical power to some components -- but no crank.
OP said the windows do not work...that's what makes me think it was something else.

Normally when its a starter everything is fine until you try to start...and nothing happens except for a "click" from the solenoid...I've had numerous starter problems on other cars but never with my MINI

Old 11-04-2017 | 10:13 PM
Critter
Neutral
when i get the fob in, I have access to the menu and the usual interior lights, etc.. work ok. I can still lock/unlock remotely too. I cannot activate any windows though. When i press start without my foot on the brake, i get no fan, no engine check, no audio, nada. It does the exact same thing with the new battery. I'm thinking there's a short in the electronics or similar...

i'm hoping for something simple and I'm just out the tow and diagnostics...I have a bad history of "residual" issues from seemingly unrelated repairs with my local mini shop... I really just think my baby doesn't tolerate doctor visits very well, and her daddy is a bit upset with the $1k just spent on a water pump.

Thanks all.
Hi,

I'm having a similar issue with my mini. What was the resolution to your problem?