Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Steering Rack Leaks

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 03:38 PM
coops88
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Rack Leaks

I noticed some abnormally loud whining when turning the steering wheel on my coops, so I checked the PS fluid level, and it was low. Low enough to not even register on the stick, so I bought some fluid and filled it up. I got thinking the fluid must be going somewhere so I took a gander underneath my car. Here is what I found, and I can post pics if you want. I found nothing was wet or oily looking except the input shaft of the steering rack, and everything beneath it. I stuck up in there, and couldn't feel anything one wouldn't expect, i.e. oil, dirt.

I then proceeded to do some research because I thought there should be some sort of seal or boot around the input shaft and the rack, but couldn't find anything definitive. I found pictures of the whole rack and it appeared they had a seal/boot installed, and at realoem.com it looked like there was one too.

This is where I turn the great learned ones. Should there be some dust/cover, seal, or boot over that shaft? I am assuming if there should be and there is not, it is most likely the cause of failure. If there should be one there, can I get away with just replacing the seals in the input housing, or should I get a whole new rack. I would rather not do the later.

I most likely will just continue to check the PS fluid on a regular basis as it is a slow leak until I have the money, and time to fix it.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:15 AM
Miami
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check the power steering hoses. sometimes those leak just below the reservoir.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:45 PM
coops88
Neutral
I have checked the reservoir hoses and they don't appear to be leaking. It appears it is coming from the input shaft seal. This is the best picture I could get without removing the wheel which I didn't have time for. See link for Pic. https://www.dropbox.com/s/dvblivcssb...haft%20pic.JPG I looked around for the boot, and even stopped at the Mini dealer in the Twin Cities to see if it had a specific Part number, but they said I would have to buy the whole steering rack for $1100 to get the boot. So I started looking around for seal kits and I found one here http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&parttype=7396. I even called rock auto to see if it had the boot, but according to the guy on the phone, he couldn't see one, but it did have the input shaft seals. I don't know if there are any special tools needed to repair those or not, cause if it does, I will just replace the entire rack. If not I might turn it into a long weekend project.

Any other ideas are welcome, and thanks for your help.

Last edited by coops88; 09-19-2012 at 01:48 PM. Reason: correct Picture
Old 10-03-2012, 09:36 PM
Rick w
1st Gear
I have the same problem just discovered the leak,bad boots,and shaft seal bad you can get rebuilt racks online with 3 yr warranty for about 300.00 mini wants 1400 for the same thing. You can by seal kits but the whole rack has to be disassembled big job for the backyard mechanic. I'm going with a rebuilt rack

Old 10-04-2012, 05:35 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Just be sure to use the right Petrosin ps fluid....using the wrong fluid WILL destroy the seals and cause a leak....mini sells it...and most vw dealers sell it, as do some napa stores....vendors here also stock it. It is different from regular ps/transmission fluid......

Old 10-04-2012, 07:10 PM
coops88
Neutral
Originally Posted by Rick w
I have the same problem just discovered the leak,bad boots,and shaft seal bad you can get rebuilt racks online with 3 yr warranty for about 300.00 mini wants 1400 for the same thing. You can by seal kits but the whole rack has to be disassembled big job for the backyard mechanic. I'm going with a rebuilt rack

Well, My brother is a Mechanic, and my dad is a farmer so I am sure a couple of cases of beer will cover the cost of labor. The only disadvantage is that I would have to take a couple of days off work for the 8 hour drive back home. Either that, or I could borrow my dads camero for a couple of weeks.

Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Just be sure to use the right Petrosin ps fluid....using the wrong fluid WILL destroy the seals and cause a leak....mini sells it...and most vw dealers sell it, as do some napa stores....vendors here also stock it. It is different from regular ps/transmission fluid......
I got the CHS 11 fluid, per the cap instructions. I was just not used to seeing it green, but it is only a color. Plus there was a German side on the Tank so I am pretty sure it is the right stuff.

Any way. Thanks for your help. Nice to know someone else had a simular issue with the boot apparently missing. (and I am not crazy)