Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

2003 mini cooper base won't crank

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012 | 07:47 AM
2003minicooper
|
3rd Gear
2003 mini cooper base won't crank

When I put the key in, turn it to start the radio turns on, I can turn on headlights, wipers, ect, but no crank.

Battery is good, fuses are all good, starter is getting 12v constant, ect.

I think its the ignition switch cause the key is damged, has a slight chip in it at the very end of it. Not sure if that chip is in the ignition switch or not. Also when the key is in the ignition in any position with the drivers door open you don't hear a beep.

Here is my youtube video to better help: http://youtu.be/Uv1Dyc9z1fo I am still uploading it, so it will be about 40 min yet.

Old 11-24-2012 | 07:58 AM
tummi_gummi
3rd Gear
There are many unanswered posts on this site. I was hoping this one would be different as I too have this issue. When I turn the key over everything lights up and then when I go to start it nothing happens. Also the door chimes are weird not every time are they on and the headlights won't come on unless the key is in the ignition to run position. All fuses are good, I get 12volt signal out of the ignition. I get a signal out of the clutch pedal. The starter has a solid 12volt constant supply and there is no 12volts at the solenoid when cranking over. So I hot wired over to the solenoid and it cranks just fine but it won't start still even in run position or start position. I also went ahead and replaced the starter with a brand new cvt starter (6 speed apparently uses the automatic cvt transmission starter the manual one wouldn't fit).

I ordered a new immobilizer from bmw and it is coming programmed. I do not think it's the chip in the key because the key unlocks and locks the doors just fine with the buttons.

I really hope this works but I am puzzled after finding hot wiring the starter solenoid and turning the car over won't start it still. Maybe the ecu still isn't receiving signal to power injectors or plugs.

Old 11-24-2012 | 08:24 AM
2003minicooper
|
3rd Gear
I am not sure if I could unlock, and lock the car with the key, cause the buttons where messed up which is why I bought a new key shell, and I moved everything over, bought new buttons to resolder, but didn't get them intime. I realized that I forgot to switch the chip over. I thought the chip was part of the circuit board, but I searched the old shell, and found it, switched it over, and the car started. You might need a new chip.