Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

mini cooper help

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 04:07 PM
2003minicooper
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mini cooper help

2003 mini cooper base automatic, 165,000 miles

Sometimes when I drive the check engine light comes on, and the traction control light comes on. Check engine light comes and goes with the same code p0304 which is cylinder 4 misfire. All spark plugs are new, ignition coil also new. Also everynow and then when the check engine light comes on for that code when I press the gas pedal the engine makes a noise like a flat tire, and takes a while to pick up speed while the car is shaking like a flat tire, but tires are all good. Only does this for 1-2 miles, then acts normal again. Should I be concerned?

Also I jacked my car up today to check some stuff, when I let it down I heard a strange noise from the drivers side rear wheel which is kind of hard to turn, and I can wiggle it back and forth a little bit hearing a screeching noise. Its not the rear control arms cause I replaced them last year with aftermarket ones after the factory ones snapped in half. I have no clue what could be wrong. I did replace the rear brakes, and rear rotors last year also.

These 2 issues are the only thing wrong with my car, but not sure how severe they are, or if I should do something about them.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:19 PM
Nitro Jake
2nd Gear
I don't recommend driving the car while its misfiring as you can cause further damage to engine and/or catalytic converter. Have it checked out by your local mechanic. If you're mechanically inclined, try a compression test. Book values are something like 170-230 psi with maximum 10 psi variance. - I might be off on these values but they're really just relative but the variance shouldn't be more than 10-15psi. Anything below these values and you've got some engine damage.

how loud is the noise from the rear?

Does it continue after removing the rear caliper?

Is there "play" in the rear wheel bearing?

Old 10-02-2012, 02:41 PM
2003minicooper
3rd Gear
I wouldn't really say its a misfire. Seems fine, but when I checked the fuel injectors they each had low voltage going to them like 2-3volts each instead of 12v. It only says cylinder 4 misfire though. Brand new spark plugs, wires, ignition coil, ect.

As for the rear noise you don't notice it while driving, just when I hit the rear tire with my foot, or if its jacked up off the ground I can wobble it a little. I will have to check if its the caliper. Where are the wheel bearings located?

Old 10-02-2012, 08:00 PM
TheMINIwhisperer
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did this misfire code only come on right after you installed your new spark plugs and wires? Or did you drive it for a while before and then it started doing it? I would also recommend a compression check of all four cylinders, but just for sh*ts and giggles throw a bottle of Lucas fuel injector cleaner in the tank. Who knows, you might have a clogged up injector at 165k miles. Besides that, you could also have a leaking injector. Your traction control light is a completely serperate issue, but theres a good chance its just a wheel speed sensor. Those are really common on these cars. Also, like Nitro said, jack the car up like you did, and try to shake the wheel back and forth, front and back. If you have any play, you have a bad wheel bearing. You had an alignment done after you installed your new lower control arms right?

Old 10-02-2012, 08:10 PM
2003minicooper
3rd Gear
The misfire code just comes on intermittmently. Goes out, and few hundred miles later comes back. I did try lucas fuel injector cleaner which kept the misfire code gone for a while. The traction control light just comes on every now and then, and won't go out until I shut the car off, and turn it back on.

I did try to wobble the wheel when I had it jacked up. It moved a little bit so I took the tire off, and the rotors made the same noise when I tried moving them front to back. I did have an alignment done after I installed the control arms, and the garage I took it to said you installed new control arms, and didn't know how to do the alignment. They where shocked. I like professionals doing stuff like that. Besides, they have a lift, and all that.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:20 PM
TheMINIwhisperer
1st Gear
I see, well my next step would be a compression/ leakdown test. Check all four cylinders and report back to us with your results. We can help steer you in the right direction. You can probably buy a semi cheap compression testing kit from sears, or I would just have a shop do it if you arent comfortable.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:30 AM
2003minicooper
3rd Gear
Thats going to have to wait a few months then. I'd do it myself, but need money for the tool.
Everything was going great until the government shut down the company I was working for, and hackers shut down another company I was working for which was my backup plan.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:19 PM
TheMINIwhisperer
1st Gear
Ouch....sounds like some tough times man...I am sorry to hear that. Hope things look up for you soon. Where are you located? Maybe you can find a local MINI guy or even one of your neighbors that might have the kit? If you are in southern Cali, bring it to me and I can atleast perform the compression test for you.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:49 PM
2003minicooper
3rd Gear
yea, times are tough. I do as much to my car as I can. I am $15,000 in debt from my last job cause I didn't get paid what I was told I was going to. I was told I was going to get gas money, this and that, but I didn't. I had to buy a truck, and got one a little pricey cause everything was fine, or atleast I thought it was. Drove nice, and all that, garage inspected it for $2,000, and it needed another $5,000 of work. Then my Mini crapped out on me a month later so I was replacing all kinds of stuff until I got her running again. Sold my crappy truck for $800 so I lost about $5,000 their, didn't get paid what I should've, got 3 pages on my credit card just for gas for work. I also messed up on my taxes, should've had my truck, and all my tools on for taxes, but didn't have all the receipts, and didn't want to be the guy on the news for ripping the government off, even knowing they rip me off all the time. Every year at tax time I get paid a year later, or something else happens. This year I got paid on time, but $1,000 short cause they messed up, and charged me $1,000 extra till I complained, and then had to wait 2 months to get my money. I found some millionaires who I am good friends with now, so once I get a crappy job, start making a few grand I will turn that few grand into tens of thousands.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:06 PM
TheMINIwhisperer
1st Gear
Dang...that does sound like quite the pickle lol im sorry to hear that. It can only rain for so long....before the weather changes. If ya know what I mean. Just keep your head up, I know its crappy but good things come to good people! Good luck to you bud.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:10 PM
2003minicooper
3rd Gear
Yea, when it rains it pours, but like you said good things happen to good people. Lots of successful people in the world today hit a rough patch in their life. Then they started souring through life which will happen sooner or later. I have a good team of millionaires that I am working with online, but need more money before I start this full time online income.