Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Clunk from the rear while braking

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 12:41 PM
SooperSara
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Clunk from the rear while braking

I know this can be numerous things but I need a push in the right direction. When I am braking hard or slamming on my brakes, at the very end of the roll I hear a slight clunk/knock (up to around three knocks) from the rear. When fixing something the other day we noticed one of my axle boots is torn badly but the noise is coming from the back. Any input?

Thanks,
Sara

Old 10-04-2012, 01:08 PM
submitaweasel
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SooperSara
I know this can be numerous things but I need a push in the right direction. When I am braking hard or slamming on my brakes, at the very end of the roll I hear a slight clunk/knock (up to around three knocks) from the rear. When fixing something the other day we noticed one of my axle boots is torn badly but the noise is coming from the back. Any input?

Thanks,
Sara
I had a clunk coming from the front right corner of my 06 R53 over bumps and when braking. After months of trouble shooting a peculiar though crossed my mind. I jacked it up, pulled off the wheel, grabbed ahold of the caliper and gave it a hard shake. Same exact sound I had been hearing...checked the bolts...they were both loose. I did not have multiple clunks, but maybe its worth a shot for you to check the caliper. Normally clunks are due to something being loose...have you done any suspension work recently?

Old 10-04-2012, 01:29 PM
Redhatch
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the exact problem on my 03 with 145,000 miles Remove the rubber slide pin bushings from the caliper and check for corrosion. The corrosion will swell the hole smaller and cause the caliper to not move freely on the slide pins. Also check to see that the piston is retracting when you let off the brake pedal.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:24 PM
SooperSara
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Redhatch
I had the exact problem on my 03 with 145,000 miles Remove the rubber slide pin bushings from the caliper and check for corrosion. The corrosion will swell the hole smaller and cause the caliper to not move freely on the slide pins. Also check to see that the piston is retracting when you let off the brake pedal.

Thanks both of you, that makes sense because it does sound like it's coming from the wheels. The sound reminds me of a loose nut on a wheel. I'll check that when I get home. Definitely seems like this is a push in the right direction!