Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Help with vacuum leak...I think?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 01:15 PM
Applesauce
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Help with vacuum leak...I think?!

About two weeks ago I swapped to a 15% pulley, along with changing my supercharger oil, coolant, oil pan gasket, crank-sensor o-ring, and most of the gaskets associated with the supercharger.

I've thrown a P1498 code and EML light ever since. I pulled the front end partially apart a few days ago, and rechecked the two hoses I wasn't sure about (gray plastic with the red clips), and they're definitely in place. I cleared the code reader after doing this, and the code and light reappeared. Can anyone help me figure out where to go from here?

Old 10-05-2012, 06:41 PM
Applesauce
3rd Gear
No one? Anyone else had P1498?

Old 10-06-2012, 04:27 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
When you remounted the SC did you replace the black plastic duct and green jam gasket ? It's probably a leak.

To button that up, the bolt hole which secures that plastic horn at the SC is slightly elongated. To do it right, you really need someone to press that horn in crushing that green jam gasket into the SC while YOU tighten that bolt.

The tube is part no. 15 below.

You should at the very least replace the bright green jam gasekt IMO. No 2 in this image... # 11610020836.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:49 AM
Applesauce
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
When you remounted the SC did you replace the black plastic duct and green jam gasket ? It's probably a leak.

To button that up, the bolt hole which secures that plastic horn at the SC is slightly elongated. To do it right, you really need someone to press that horn in crushing that green jam gasket into the SC while YOU tighten that bolt.

The tube is part no. 15 below.

You should at the very least replace the bright green jam gasekt IMO. No 2 in this image... # 11610020836.

Thanks for the suggestions. I did not replace the duct; I figured it was not a wearable part. (I have heard of them cracking; mine did not look cracked.) I did replace the green gasket, and had a VERY hard time figuring out how to get it in place. Whether it went over or under, inside, outside...etc. And then there's the little green tab at the front...

Now that you call it a "jam gasket," I think I get it. Thanks for the suggestion on installing it. I'll get super-preggers wife down to the garage!

Old 10-06-2012, 05:52 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
LOL Nice ! She sounds like a real brute !

I'm on my 3 duct. lol.

The initial one from factory eventally wore out at the elgongated hole, and the slack somewhat polished the green jam gasket in the areas where it was not seated well.

Second duct was only on for about 6 months as it was defective. The gasket end was a bit out of shape so the gasket did not seat well. Probably like that when it was removed from the mold. As I travelled under bridges on the highway I could hear a whisle from up front.....

So far so good on the third one.