Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Suspension rattling

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012 | 09:16 AM
RobMuntean
|
6th Gear
Suspension rattling

Hello all, I'm having this sort of issue for a year already. When I bought the car it didn't rattle much but realized after a while it wasn't normal, especially in colder weather compared to warm. The noise is coming from my driver front side shock it appears but I may be wrong. I informed MINI a while ago they said it could be just some normal rattle. So I've been on vacation for three days now in Chicago and it got worse to the point where every bump rattled crazy and it's only that one side and shock that it seems its coming from. I made an appointment with MINI and I don't wanna hear another ridiculous excuse because I had a 13' loaner and no rattles on bump rides. If anyone experienced this please tell me what you did or what happened.

Old 10-08-2012 | 09:29 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Are you sure it's coming from the shock? I can recall when I drove my MINI in the winter months that all kinds of rattles started to occur in the dash area. Plastic fantastic! Judging by your model year you probably don't have that many miles on your car. I can't imagine you have suspension issues unless you've drove your car over every single pothole throughout metro-Detroit and also have a bad run of suspension parts from the factory.

Old 10-08-2012 | 09:34 AM
RobMuntean
|
6th Gear
More than positive Shane, on cold summer days it's the same issues and same noise from the same exact spot. It has to be a defect on my MINI. But I might have drove it over a horrible spot in Detroit one time or another but not that I recall.

Old 10-08-2012 | 09:34 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
Time to make another appointment and bring it in to have it looked at. Most suspension rattles reported have been with aftermarket suspension parts. The OEM ones are generally quite and you have a newer car as well.

Suspension rattles are indeed hard to diagnose from afar and there is not a lot of detail to the description you provided.

Good luck with it and safe journey homeward bound.