Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Joyriding mouse or wheel problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012 | 11:38 PM
MiniDeLux
|
3rd Gear
Joyriding mouse or wheel problem?

2009 Clubman with 100,000km on the clock. Front brakes still have 14,000km left on them before they need to be changed. Rear brakes have close to 30,000km left (according to the OBC). There has been no recent work done on the car.

Now, either I have a mouse enjoying the ride with me, or there is a problem with a drivers side wheel. I can't tell if it's the front or back. Since the weather has started to get a little cooler and wetter, I've noticed what can only be described as a squeaking noise when driving at lower speeds. It seems to be associated with turning, but not always. It doesn't appear to follow wheel speed (i.e. it's not a rapid squeak-squeak-squeak-squeak). However, I'm pretty sure it's coming from the wheels.

Anyone ever have a similar issue that was diagnosed and resolved? I'm scheduled to take the car in on Nov 3 for some pre-winter service, but I don't always get the noise so I don't want to waste time with the "we can't reproduce" nonsense and would like to have some idea where I can direct the garage...

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-16-2012 | 12:08 AM
an2
2nd Gear
It's obviously the mouse telling you to go faster.

How does braking affect it? And have you tried getting a second person either in the car (windows down) or outside it (if you can reproduce it slow enough) to narrow down front end or back end?

Old 10-16-2012 | 04:33 AM
MiniDeLux
|
3rd Gear
Hmmm, double post??

Old 10-16-2012 | 04:34 AM
MiniDeLux
|
3rd Gear
It's intermittent and doesn't reproduce reliably. Maybe I can ask the people staring at my car when it makes the noise...

Braking doesn't seem to affect it. Noise so far occurs when driving and tends to start after executing a turn. Either I can't hear it at faster velocities or (more likely) it occurs only when driving under, say, 40km/hr.

I don't hear any noticeable grinding noises during normal driving. I'm thinking it's maybe a wheel bearing that is either worn or is getting moisture into it?

Maybe I need to get a cat under the hood to drive out the mouse...

Originally Posted by an2
It's obviously the mouse telling you to go faster.

How does braking affect it? And have you tried getting a second person either in the car (windows down) or outside it (if you can reproduce it slow enough) to narrow down front end or back end?

Old 10-16-2012 | 05:51 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
I bet the pads/rotors are just getting worn....
after a bit the rotors get a bit of a lip arounf the edge where the pad does not cover...and when the pad gets thiner, the backer plate on pad, and the lip can rub and squeak....that and the moisture does rust rotors a bit...so for a few feet in the am..the rust needs to be polished off.
All pretty normal stuff. You can mention it to the mechanic...he has likely seen it before. Not much to do with it other than live with it till it wears more....
Bearings usually rapidly worsen......

Old 10-16-2012 | 06:37 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
What Zip said...I have heard rear pads needing change with such a loud mouse you would have sworn they were fronts making all that racket.

Old 10-16-2012 | 07:11 AM
MiniDeLux
|
3rd Gear
Okay, thanks guys.

I'll let you know if the garage finds anything.