Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Got hit again!! Advice needed!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 10:53 PM
GumbyLara
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got hit again!! Advice needed!

Great! I swear it's one thing after another with this car! Someone backed into my hatch, real quarter panel, and bumper last night in a parking lot. No note. Camera's from the business couldn't see enough of my car. Planning to check the business across the street. Already filed a police report but unless I have more info, obviously it's pointless. Not really sure what I should do and wanted to ask everyone's advice! My comprehensive coverage deductible is $1000 and trying to figure out what it will actually cost. Also I live in Texas so I don't know if a "hit and run" is covered under uninsured motorist. What do I do?! If they are new parts I can probably do most of the work myself so I'm not too worried about that but anything with painting, bonding, or reshaping will have to go to a collision shop. I'll most likely probably end up buying a Carbon Fiber hatch to match my hood but we'll see

Attached Thumbnails Got hit again!! Advice needed!-image-1540959614.jpg  
Old 10-21-2012, 11:01 PM
GumbyLara
4th Gear
Also, the bumper isn't too bad, could probably just be buffed or repainted. Really it's the quarter panel and the hatch. Worst comes to worst I'll just buy a new hatch for now : \ $600 bones

Old 10-22-2012, 02:49 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Your insurance company may well handle that as an uninsured motorist claim. If so, you would have a much lower deductible.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:14 AM
submitaweasel
5th Gear
With a hit like that you may want to pull off the plastic bumper cover. Theres most likely damage to the crash structure underneath. The plastic bumper will pop back out even if theres more damage underneath.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:06 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Ugh. Quarter panel would be my big issue - it's the one part that can't be unbolted. I'd be heading for your favorite body shop for an estimate.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:24 PM
GumbyLara
4th Gear
Well the bumper isn't dented at all, just scraped. Waiting to hear back from the insurance company still but I know the quarter panel is going to have to hit the body shop. How difficult is it to separate the glass from the hatch? I don't believe the new hatch comes with the glass. Thanks for all the help!

Old 10-22-2012, 04:02 PM
GumbyLara
4th Gear
So insurance won't cover it unless I pay $1000 for my comprehensive deductible. I guess I'm going to go get an estimate to find out the damage cost. It's a shame someone would do this but it is what it is. Insurance company also said my rate may go up but they won't know until they find out the total cost for repairs and until my next renewal. Not quite sure what to do.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:11 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Who is your insurance company?

Did you ask why they are not handling as an uninsured motorist claim? You might live in a State that requires I.d. of the striking vehicle to qualify the claim as uninsured motorist. Would be your rotten luck, considering there are only a few.

And I would like to see their policy. That is not a comp claim in any State I can think of. Collision damage is either a Collision loss or uninsured motorist loss.

Finally.... why do you carry a $1000 deductible on your Comp coverage?! Yyyikes!

Last edited by CR&PW&JB; 10-22-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:15 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
keeping it short, and a day late .. but for the future:

if your insurance would consider this a 'comp' claim, ask what the difference would be in your rates for ZERO deductible on a comp' claim.

I changed 4 cars with a male teen driver from a high deductible to ZERO for about $25 a year .... with a 17 yoa male as primary driver on a Miata.

It never hurts and doesn't cost to ask.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:07 PM
GumbyLara
4th Gear
I have progressive. It may be a collision claim but that deductible is also $1000. I'm 21 with a totaled car that's still appearing from when I was 17. I pay $175 a month right now and that's for very minimal coverage but it's the cheapest I can find and I've searched everywhere. I mean that's almost more than my car payment lol! If I lower my deductible than my monthly payment sky rockets and I can't afford it between all my bills and school! And now they tell me my uninsured motorist only covers medical and not my vehicle. Really got screwed on this one

Old 10-22-2012, 05:29 PM
Denzien
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would think Uninsured Motorist would cover this...then again, when I was hit by an actual uninsured motorist while driving a rental (because my car was in the shop after being hit by someone with insurance), my insurance company (AAA) would not apply my Uninsured Motorist policy and forced me to pay the $500 deductible. However, because it wasn't my fault, the event is not supposed to affect my rate (we'll see after I renew).

Old 10-22-2012, 05:49 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Understand your attempt to keep your premium in control. But shop around for a better rate and have all the competitors run you several quotes with different deductibles. You can probably find coverage cheaper than Progressive with a smaller Comp deductible.

As for this claim.... ask them where in your policy it says a vehicle striking yours while it is parked and unoccupied is not an uninsured motorist claim. They might be right for your particular State but be sure. It's a matter of about $800 to you.... so you are entitled to an answer.

By the way, in case you are wondering who I am.... I've been a Claims Adjuster for State Farm for 7 years. The 4 years prior to that, I was an Underwriting Manager with them.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:45 PM
GumbyLara
4th Gear
I definitely appreciate all the info I can get so it all helps big time! The reason they are saying uninsured doesn't cover it is because apparently my uninsured only covers medical and not damage to my car. I've never been in this situation and didn't really know too much about insurance when I set it all up. Guess I learned my lesson. Still gotta figure out what's going to be worth it in this situation! Here's a screenshot of some of my coverage.

Attached Thumbnails Got hit again!! Advice needed!-image-2004159987.jpg  
Old 10-22-2012, 06:58 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Matthew.... the last line on that screen shot says Uninsured /Underinsured Property Damage. So it does appear you have that coverage.

Now... in your State, it is possible that Uninsured Motorist Property Damage Liability only applies when the striking vehicle is identified. I can think of no other reason Progressive would not extend that coverage for you.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:39 PM
GumbyLara
4th Gear
Originally Posted by CR&PW&JB
Matthew.... the last line on that screen shot says Uninsured /Underinsured Property Damage. So it does appear you have that coverage.

Now... in your State, it is possible that Uninsured Motorist Property Damage Liability only applies when the striking vehicle is identified. I can think of no other reason Progressive would not extend that coverage for you.
Well hopefully the info you are providing me proves to be true! I would really like to not spend $1000! Definitely will be doing some more research into my policy! Here's the rest of the screenshot as well. And once again thanks! I'll be calling tomorrow to find out more information!

Attached Thumbnails Got hit again!! Advice needed!-image-2090398393.jpg  
Old 10-23-2012, 03:01 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Yeah, you definitely have the coverage. Just a matter of why it doesn't apply to this accident. Make sure you get an explanation.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:07 AM
GumbyLara
4th Gear
Yeahhhh! Alrighty! Called back this morning and spoke with a different adjuster. Turns out I do have the coverage and it's only a $250 dollar deductible. Also in Texas (ohhh man I'll be moving to Cali in two months, hope it's the same just in case haha) I get a rental car as well for freeeeee! Thanks a ton for looking over it because I was almost going to just fix it myself. I'd like to take it somewhere who is well known for working on these kind's of cars. Was thinking about taking it to Mini and seeing where they will refer me too. I'll keep everyone up to date on the progress and what's happening. Haha, I think the whole car is going to have replacement parts by the time I sell it! Thanks again and I reallllllyyy appreciate all the help and advice!

Old 10-23-2012, 08:48 AM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts
Nice! Looks like you owe CR&PW&JB a beer or two, maybe at TGIF?

Old 10-23-2012, 08:56 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
So glad that worked out well for you ! Yes, the rental car is also provided under your Uninsured Motorist Property Damage Liability coverage. Once you meet the $250 deductible on the repairs, the rental is covered at 100%.

Yes, check the coverages in California when you move there. If you have any questions about the coverages, PM me and let me know.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:19 AM
GumbyLara
4th Gear
Yeah I definitely will! Come down to Houston and I'll ya a steak dinner haha! For real though thank you so much! Hopefully I can get a Mini rental! Going to be dropping my car off today! Crossing my fingers for a carbon fiber hatch haha

Old 10-23-2012, 10:32 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Haha... I will take you up on that if I get to Houston.

Don't count on a MINI rental. When my MINI got struck by a Nationwide vehicle, the rental agency (Enterprise) thought they would do me a big favor and put me in a PT Loser. Didn't have the heart to tell them I hate those damn things. Only had a two-day repair, so I lived.

And on the carbon fiber hatch (they make such a thing ?)... the estimate is going to include repair or replacement of the hatch at the lowest price available. If you want a higher cost part, you can work it out with the shop... and pay the difference between the one on the estimate and the one you want them to install. That goes for any part.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:36 PM
GumbyLara
4th Gear
Haha! No way! I couldn't do the PT! Wondering how long it will take, we'll see! Yeah, the carbon fiber hatch is $600 and made by VIS. I have the VIS carbon fiber hood, fitment wasn't perfect but I made it fit and it looks great! I would love to have a carbon fiber hatch to match!

Old 12-19-2012, 03:38 PM
GumbyLara
4th Gear
Well, it's been a while since I've gotten back with everyone but everything worked out great! Really wanna thank you CR&PW&JB for all the info! Ended up not having to pay a dime because the damage covered all of it! Check it outtttttttt, this is before it was fit 100%, looks great now! Rockin no spoiler too haha

Attached Thumbnails Got hit again!! Advice needed!-img_4511.jpg  
Old 12-19-2012, 03:38 PM
GumbyLara
4th Gear
I'll get a better picture but it's all carbon fiber!

Old 12-20-2012, 06:50 PM
MrGTFJD
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GumbyLara
Well, it's been a while since I've gotten back with everyone but everything worked out great! Really wanna thank you CR&PW&JB for all the info! Ended up not having to pay a dime because the damage covered all of it! Check it outtttttttt, this is before it was fit 100%, looks great now! Rockin no spoiler too haha
Love it!!! Great color to go with the carbon too!