Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Manual Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 11:05 AM
jwh
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Also note that Pelican Parts and Mini of South Atlanta are great state-side Mini parts sources. And don't go cheap on the replacement MTF. I used RedLine full synthetic.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:14 AM
JoePA
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, I didn’t really think to just buy a press, kind of thought it would cost more. Also I guess it wasn’t a bad idea to replace it all because the car has 119,000 miles on the car and I think they were stock gears. Yes that is the same guy I order my kit from, awesome company. Yeah I used the web site to get the transmission out the first time. The web site was very helpful.

Originally Posted by jwh
Yes, I got my parts from the same guy in the UK. John Tee, he's a great resource. The full rebuild kit is a bargain but if all you need are a couple of bearings (as I did) the kit is overkill.

I didn't have a press either but they're only about $100 at Harbor Freight. Or a trip to a local machine shop and $25 would probably also do the trick.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:53 PM
slumpp
2nd Gear
Joe. Check those linkage ends. The ware point is not the attachment that requires two screwdrivers to remove. It is the rubber that ends are mounted in.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:59 PM
JoePA
1st Gear
Okay I check one of the rubber ends easy but the other one has a big case over it. So I can only check the inside. Thank you for the heads up on that.

Originally Posted by slumpp
Joe. Check those linkage ends. The ware point is not the attachment that requires two screwdrivers to remove. It is the rubber that ends are mounted in.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:00 PM
JoePA
1st Gear
Fixed Transmission

Wanted to let everyone know that rebuilding the trans fix the problem I was having. Now just have to replace rear wheel bearings. I think then the car will be real fun to drive.

Also had to replace one of the motor mounts and found out I have a very early made mini.Name:  175984_504398559585256_302914391_o.jpg
Views: 2092
Size:  75.7 KB

Old 11-07-2012, 04:37 PM
slumpp
2nd Gear
Linkage, gear shift

Originally Posted by JoePA
Okay I check one of the rubber ends easy but the other one has a big case over it. So I can only check the inside. Thank you for the heads up on that.
The stick end is more bull proof. The cable does not have the rubber swivel mount like the transmission end.

I purchased new cables. $180. If I had it to. Do over I think I would try a hot glue, a roll of duct tape and a piece of chewing gum. It was not a bad job. The
Exhaust system had to be separated behind the catalicic convertor. There was also a learning curve in the use of the Jesus clip that hold the cable in place on the tranny end.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:44 PM
slumpp
2nd Gear
Case is the computer./ air filter

I am surprised that you got the tranny out without pulling the computer and Air filter box.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:56 AM
JoePA
1st Gear
I did have to remove the air box, and the computer slides out of the battery box no problem.
Name:  326843_499668743391571_1735726965_o.jpg
Views: 2160
Size:  109.0 KB

Old 11-13-2012, 06:30 PM
slumpp
2nd Gear
Car running, yet ????

Old 11-14-2012, 04:29 PM
JoePA
1st Gear
Yes my car is running great, have but 800 miles on it this last weekend.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:38 PM
slumpp
2nd Gear
Drive it like you stole it

Sounds fun.
I hope you got a good deal on it.
I am exploring the idea of purchasing a wrecked JCWorks.
All though most of the JCW stuff is gone.
One of the guys in the club got punched in the back hatch.
I will only do it if it is cheap. It is driveable, but it is very needy.
You did the right thing with that tranny. The 5 speed Midlands are not as
Bullet proof as the Getrag 6 speed. Now the 6 speed is all that is available.
There are stories of the shafts in the Midland walk thru the case. Did you see any evidence of that. I am not sure bad bushings or bushing in place of bearings. Or bad bearing. It is not just a swap to the 6 speed, either.
Requires different clutch assy. Different flywheel, different axles.
The early automatics are real crap. BMW is being sued over it.
What are the miles and age of your car?

Last edited by slumpp; 11-14-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:30 PM
slumpp
2nd Gear
Drive it like you stole it. Stole it

Sounds fun.
There are stories of the shafts in the Midland walk thru the case. Did you see any evidence of that. I am not sure bad bushings or bushing in place of bearings. Or bad bearing. It is not just a swap to the 6 speed, either.

Last edited by slumpp; 11-14-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:08 AM
JoePA
1st Gear
The car, I think I got for a far price. Total for fixing the car including some new tools I had to buy was around $1000.
The JCWorks sounds like it would be a lot of fun to drive.
I would have loved to put a 6 speed in my car but with everything else you have to buy makes it a little much right now.
I didn’t see any real bad wear on the housing or old rods.
The car is an early 2002 with 119630 miles on it.
I'm going to replace the rear wheel bearings this weekend. Car feels like it as really bad unbalanced wheel but we just had them balanced.
Originally Posted by slumpp
Sounds fun.

Old 12-23-2012, 04:51 PM
zx9rider
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is the transmission kit a good product? Was it easy to split the tranny case and install the new internals?

Old 12-23-2012, 09:29 PM
pillagethesound
2nd Gear
The car, I think I got for a far price. Total for fixing the car including some new tools I had to buy was around $1000.
The JCWorks sounds like it would be a lot of fun to drive.
I would have loved to put a 6 speed in my car but with everything else you have to buy makes it a little much right now.
I didn’t see any real bad wear on the housing or old rods.
The car is an early 2002 with 119630 miles on it.
I'm going to replace the rear wheel bearings this weekend. Car feels like it as really bad unbalanced wheel but we just had them balanced.

I had that unbalanced wheel feeling on my mini before. Turned out to be ball joints. Inner and outer.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:46 AM
JoePA
1st Gear
I will look into replacing them because a lot of the shake went away but still a little there. Thank you for the update.

Originally Posted by pillagethesound
I had that unbalanced wheel feeling on my mini before. Turned out to be ball joints. Inner and outer.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:49 AM
JoePA
1st Gear
The kit is a great product, so far we have put 3500miles on the rebuilt transmission and no problems.

Originally Posted by zx9rider
Is the transmission kit a good product? Was it easy to split the tranny case and install the new internals?

Old 12-28-2012, 11:02 AM
zx9rider
2nd Gear
Sounds good. I know what I need to do.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:21 AM
MiniDeLux
3rd Gear
Just stumbled across this old thread. Just for posterity's sake, was it the input shaft bearing in the end or something else?

Like the yellow colour, best colour available don't see very many.

(I've got a yellow Clubman too...)

Wanted to let everyone know that rebuilding the trans fix the problem I was having. Now just have to replace rear wheel bearings. I think then the car will be real fun to drive.

Also had to replace one of the motor mounts and found out I have a very early made mini.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:59 AM
JoePA
1st Gear
Yes it was the bearing causing all the trouble. Thank You, I really like the Clubman just the right size, and I’m guess still a hoot to drive.

Originally Posted by MiniDeLux
Just stumbled across this old thread. Just for posterity's sake, was it the input shaft bearing in the end or something else?

Like the yellow colour, best colour available don't see very many.

(I've got a yellow Clubman too...)

Old 12-31-2012, 12:58 PM
zx9rider
2nd Gear
Joe, I ordered the transmission kit. It should be here on Wed. Those guys take care of biz fast. I just hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:43 PM
JoePA
1st Gear
Yeah they are really awesome. No not at all that’s how I felt tell I started to take it apart and saw how it worked, really easy. It is more work and harder to get the transmission out, then to rebuild the transmission. You will need to get gasket maker from Wal-Mart here is a link for what I got. Worked great and no leaks but read the instructions because it really makes the outcome different. Just in case you weren’t sure thought I would share.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Permatex-U...Maker/16777009

Originally Posted by zx9rider
Joe, I ordered the transmission kit. It should be here on Wed. Those guys take care of biz fast. I just hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew.

Old 11-28-2017, 09:21 AM
ssorg75
Neutral
R56 Manual Transmission woes

Hello. First, let me apologize for my ignorance regarding anything mechanical...I do not regularly work on my cars, other than simple stuff. I have a 2007 Mini Cooper S with 6-speed manual transmission. I have a mechanic that is telling me that the transmission pinion bearing is making a whirring noise relative to speed. I hear it and, as I am looking through the forum chat, I see no reference to the pinion bearing. Wondering how it relates to inward shaft bearings, outward shaft bearings, or the 2 diff bearings...or is it something else entirely. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 11-28-2017, 09:30 AM
jwh
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ssorg75
Hello. First, let me apologize for my ignorance regarding anything mechanical...I do not regularly work on my cars, other than simple stuff. I have a 2007 Mini Cooper S with 6-speed manual transmission. I have a mechanic that is telling me that the transmission pinion bearing is making a whirring noise relative to speed. I hear it and, as I am looking through the forum chat, I see no reference to the pinion bearing. Wondering how it relates to inward shaft bearings, outward shaft bearings, or the 2 diff bearings...or is it something else entirely. Any help would be appreciated.
Most of the manual transmissions with GEN1 Coopers were with the Midlands 5-speed not the Getrag 6-speed. But I'm sure that issues can and do happen with that unit in spite of it being pretty robust. I've heard that they are not all that serviceable and that parts are not available, but I've not looked into that myself. It may be easier and less expensive to locate a used 6-speed out of a scrapped car.

Old 11-28-2017, 09:39 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
wrong chatroom

Originally Posted by ssorg75
  1. wrong chatroom; you have a R56
  2. you should mention the mileage and history of the car when you want people to help with transmission wear and tear issues

Quick Reply: Manual Transmission Problem