Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Help with locating oil leak around Turbo & other...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 01:21 PM
texasmontego
4th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Help with locating oil leak around Turbo & other...

I've been spending most of the weekend trying to locate a couple oil leaks with my 2007 MCS. First, my car has 76K miles on it and I've been noticing oil dropped under the car from time to time.
Saturday morning I noticed a large (about the size of a coke can) oil spot after a quick drive. I figured now is the time to correct it as I don't want it to blow out all of a sudden and cause major problems.

The largest leak I found was the oil pan. I also noticed the turbo feed line is bad too. After unsuccessfully removing a stubborn bolt (the angle support connecting the turbo to the block), I ended up removing the whole turbo assembly. When I looked at the underside of the assembly I noticed a lot of oil build up. Can anyone give me any ideas of where the oil leak could be coming from? I thought maybe the oil return line, but I figure since I have it apart, I may as well replace that line too.

Any help would be appreciated.
Jason

Old 10-29-2012, 12:56 AM
MiniDeLux
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the diesel engined Coopers, the crankcase vents into the turbo air intake pipe between the MAF and the air inlet on the turbo. In addition to the air, oil vapour also gets blown into the piping.

I had an issue where the orange flange/gasket that seals the are where the air pipe attaches to the turbo inlet was cracked and the oil was leaking where the piping attached to the turbo (I think that would be the silver inlet on the picture you posted if I can identify everything correctly.

Maybe you want to check that seal since you've got it apart and all.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:29 AM
Noir2005
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Neon SRT-4's had a problem like this as well, and really turbo setups eventually will start to leak after some time. First, I would rebuild, or have the turbo sent out to be rebuilt while it's off the vehicle, even if there isn't any play in the shaft, it's just one less thing to worry about. Also, make sure when you reinstall the oil lines you use brand new compression copper rings.

When you go to put everything back together, make sure to clean as much oil off everything as you can, then go to a local auto parts store and purchase an oil dye additive, and pour it in the engine. If your still getting oil spots in the drive way, purchase a black light, and see where the oil spray is, and go from there.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:28 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I found the same thing when I did my feed line replacement. There was a lot of oil up underneath the turbo and in that general area. I did replace the return line and think that was a big source of the problem. I still have a leak, but visually I'm not seeing any up on the top side like before. I really need to get some dye into the engine to figure out what is still leaking.

Will be interested to see what kinds of suggestions folks have.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:10 PM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Another failure that's been popping up here and there is the seal between the engine block and the oil filter/cooler module. Time to get those hands dirty and take a look. Yes, it's speculative, but it's an overlooked interface where oil passes outside the block.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:05 AM
texasmontego
4th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
So i ordered all new seals, gaskets, studs/nuts, oil feed/return lines, and the vacuum hoses. Thanks for the idea on the oil filter, i will check that too. Gonna remove the manifold and replace the gasket and studs/nuts. Also gonna inspect for any cracks in the manifold.
I figure since i'm this far into it i better replace everything. Parts totalled close to $300 and I'm planning on putting it all back together this weekend.

Giving every parts a very thorough cleaning to remove ever oil residue. I like the dye idea. I will def do that. I will update this weekend.