Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Intake hose wont stay attatched ti turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 12:12 AM
tommydh
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Intake hose wont stay attatched ti turbo

So recently noticed check engine light on in my MCS. I had just had it serviced so I decided to look under hood and noticed that my intake is separated from turbo thus bypassing MAF sensor. Has anyone else had this problem bc it will not stay on I am awaiting my AEM intake that hopefully will fix issue.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:02 AM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Try putting a hose clamp on the system?
Tried cleaning the connection area and using a slight adhesive (like RTV silicone) to have it hold?

- Erik

Old 11-02-2012, 08:06 PM
tommydh
2nd Gear
I have tried all that I actually noticed that the end lip on hose is brittle and breaking, I was more curious if anyone else had this problem. I have done all the normal checks and remedies but you can watch it slide as clamp tightens.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:06 AM
MiniDeLux
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same problem. The fix for this is a simple DIY. The crankcase vents into the intake piping and brings oil mist along with it. The oil mist contaminates the surfaces of the turbo intake and the piping slips off no matter how tight you snug the clamp (and the tighter you try to make it, the more it will "squeeze" itself off). The solution is to take off the piping between the MAF and turbo intake. Clean everything - piping, turbo intake, rubber seals with brake cleaner and allow to dry.

Replace intake piping and tighten the clamp (I replaced the self-tightening one with a simple jubilee clip) that holds the piping onto the turbo snug, but not really tight otherwise you'll damage the little seal that sits on the turbo intakeand/or the intake pipe itself. If that seal is cracked (on my Clubman it was like an orange flange/seal made of rubber), replace it.

Now if I take hold of the pipe and try to wiggle it off, it doesn't move, but the car rocks back and forth!

Originally Posted by tommydh
So recently noticed check engine light on in my MCS. I had just had it serviced so I decided to look under hood and noticed that my intake is separated from turbo thus bypassing MAF sensor. Has anyone else had this problem bc it will not stay on I am awaiting my AEM intake that hopefully will fix issue.

Last edited by MiniDeLux; 11-05-2012 at 02:12 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:53 PM
boOst spIKe
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can do the above, clean the turbo inlet pipe as well as rubber insert that mates with compressor housing with brake clean. I would also recommend using a nice form of glass cleaner to re-install the turbo inlet pipe back to the turbo. Using glass cleaner (or even hair spray) will not only allow for easy on but it leaves a mild sticky residue once it dries that helps keep the rubber well connected to the compressor inlet. There are other things you can do, but I'd start with this and see if it works.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:00 PM
tommydh
2nd Gear
Thanks I didnt think of cleaning the whole pipe. Its getting replaced alltogether in a week but I will keep that in mind. My inner piece was in tact the edge of the outer tube at the lip was starting to break and to get just the tube is rediculously expensive no matter where I looked. For a couple more dollars I can replace entire intake filter and all