Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

NO HEAT! Bowden cable gone missing! please help! (not the door)

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 06:50 PM
ekk20
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NO HEAT! Bowden cable gone missing! please help! (not the door)

Hi all,

I've done some searching but it seems like all bowden cable related issues are for the door and not for the heater. My car hasn't been having heat for awhile, and I have now discovered that the bowden cable attached to the switch is off. I haven't been able to find any diagrams as how the cable is connected and where it runs behind the panels. I've taken out the passenger side tray and reached my hand towards the middle but have felt nothing loose, I'm unable to visually locate the cable nor couldn't feel it by hand.

If anyone has any input or diagrams please help a fellow out!

Thanks..

Old 11-12-2012, 01:17 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
I had deal with the bowden cable recently while changing a burnt out bulb in the heater control panel. This thread has a few photos that may help you get a sense of how it's connected: http://www.mini2.com/forum/first-gen...rol-panel.html

Here is the parts diagram: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...47&hg=64&fg=25 (Bowden is item #2)

It's a short cable, I think less than a foot long. In addition to pulling the heater-a/c panel, you'll also need to pull out the radio and toggle switch panel for access to the back area.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:00 AM
ekk20
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi RKW, thank you for your response.

I believe #2 bowden cable in that diagram is intact. My temperature control would turn as I adjust/move the lever just under the passenger side tray. However, to my understanding there should be a line or a cable that goes from that lever to the back of the heater to control the valve, that let's in the amount of hot / cool air (please correct me if I'm mistaken) and I can't seem to find that line to connect it to the lever.

Here's a picture of the lever I'm speaking of, just under the passenger side tray. Should there be another wire connecting to the other end of the "L" lever, to the heater control valve (which allows volume of hot air in the cabin)?

Thanks, any input is appreciated.

Last edited by ekk20; 11-12-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:57 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by ekk20
Here's a picture of the lever I'm speaking of, just under the passenger side tray. Should there be another wire connecting to the other end of the "L" lever, to the heater control valve (which allows volume of hot air in the cabin)?
The picture doesn't show anything attached to the other end of the lever, and mine is that way too, so I think that's how it's supposed to be. The control mechanism must be attached to the pivot. If the lever moves when you turn the **** and the air flow works correctly, there might be an issue with the heater core, such as a clogged tube.