Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

timing chain repair dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 06:15 AM
Yslee
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
timing chain repair dilemma

my chain is failing and the service adviser from the dealer quoted me $1800. An Independent (specializing mostly in BMW) mechanic quoted $1100. I don't know if the indy mechanic has ever replaced the timing chain for the MINI. but I have more wiggle room for negotiation with the indy mechanic since I bring all my other BMWs to him for repair and upgrades.
What do you guys think? should i stick with the dealership who has done this job many times for a premium price or go with an indy mech who's very competent with his skills?
If I go with the the indy mech, do you know exactly what parts needed to be ordered? (esp. updated tensioner pulley)

Old 11-14-2012, 06:46 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Yslee
my chain is failing and the service adviser from the dealer quoted me $1800. An Independent (specializing mostly in BMW) mechanic quoted $1100. I don't know if the indy mechanic has ever replaced the timing chain for the MINI. but I have more wiggle room for negotiation with the indy mechanic since I bring all my other BMWs to him for repair and upgrades.
What do you guys think? should i stick with the dealership who has done this job many times for a premium price or go with an indy mech who's very competent with his skills?
If I go with the the indy mech, do you know exactly what parts needed to be ordered? (esp. updated tensioner pulley)
You should get some clarity on what 'chain is failing' means. If your symptoms are a clattering engine, It could be a bad tensioner, bad chain guides or poor oil pressure. In my experience, the chain doesn't slowly fail (as in: 'it's failing'). It's either good, or it's broken.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:03 AM
Yslee
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Helix13mini
You should get some clarity on what 'chain is failing' means. If your symptoms are a clattering engine, It could be a bad tensioner, bad chain guides or poor oil pressure. In my experience, the chain doesn't slowly fail (as in: 'it's failing'). It's either good, or it's broken.
service adviser told me that the slack on the chain is a lot and the clatter is pretty bad. No engine light yet.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:18 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
The slack in the chain is removed by the chain tensioner and guide rail assembly. Those parts are cheap enough that I might try replacing them before submitting to a chain-ectomy. With the guides removed, the lash in the chain could be measured. As I said, I haven't seen where the chain stretches significantly.

Guides and a tensioner should be a bit over $100, and labor (at our shop) would be about $250. Looking into my crystal ball, I see a third opinion in your future!

Old 11-14-2012, 08:12 AM
Yslee
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Helix13mini
The slack in the chain is removed by the chain tensioner and guide rail assembly. Those parts are cheap enough that I might try replacing them before submitting to a chain-ectomy. With the guides removed, the lash in the chain could be measured. As I said, I haven't seen where the chain stretches significantly.

Guides and a tensioner should be a bit over $100, and labor (at our shop) would be about $250. Looking into my crystal ball, I see a third opinion in your future!
Thanks for your advice. I know that there has been several updates on the tensioner. Do you happen to know the part number for the newest one?

Old 11-14-2012, 08:18 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Yslee
Thanks for your advice. I know that there has been several updates on the tensioner. Do you happen to know the part number for the newest one?
Search here.