Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Power steering issues for all minis

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012 | 02:21 PM
DaveeHogan
|
Neutral

I currently own a 2004 mini S with around 75k miles. the power steering is hit or miss and will go out from time to time, the battery is constantly draining because of the pump not turning off after the car is shut off. Ive read several complaints and stories about minis with the same issues as mine and some as severe as catching fire because of the pump. MiniUSA is refusing to recall this problem as of now, Mini of Canada has recalled this problem. Ive been talking to several people one named Jimmy at BMW and he said he has no idea when or if they will ever be recalled because the DOT ( department of transportation ) isnt forcing them to do so. The parts alone to fix my car come over 1400 and thats without the labor, i for one do not have 3 grand to drop on my car out of the blue for a problem mini created with the faulty pumps.

My plan is to create one list of all the mini owners with this problem and present it to the DOT because my one complaint isnt enough to sway them but maybe all of your complaints as well will finally open there eyes to this problem.

I would greatly appreciate your feedback and info on your problems relating to the power steering pump.

Old 11-16-2012 | 03:24 PM
DaveeHogan
|
Neutral

I currently own a 2004 mini S with around 75k miles. the power steering is hit or miss and will go out from time to time, the battery is constantly draining because of the pump not turning off after the car is shut off. Ive read several complaints and stories about minis with the same issues as mine and some as severe as catching fire because of the pump. MiniUSA is refusing to recall this problem as of now, Mini of Canada has recalled this problem. Ive been talking to several people one named Jimmy at BMW and he said he has no idea when or if they will ever be recalled because the DOT ( department of transportation ) isnt forcing them to do so. The parts alone to fix my car come over 1400 and thats without the labor, i for one do not have 3 grand to drop on my car out of the blue for a problem mini created with the faulty pumps.

My plan is to create one list of all the mini owners with this problem and present it to the DOT because my one complaint isnt enough to sway them but maybe all of your complaints as well will finally open there eyes to this problem.

I would greatly appreciate your feedback and info on your problems relating to the power steering pump.

Old 11-16-2012 | 03:27 PM
DaveeHogan
|
Neutral

Old 11-16-2012 | 04:47 PM
muddflapp
1st Gear
I am probably wrong, but I'm left with the impression that the brushes in the electrical side of the pump wear down and conductive dust builds up which some how keeps the ps motor running after the key is off. And I'm left with the impression that this causes the fire. I was not left with the impression that the ps motor is supposed to keep running, but the ps fan and the radiator fan will continue to run for a while.

As the temperature rises, the ps fan comes on as does the radiator fan, if the temp continues to rise both the ps fan and the ps motor shut off and you're left with manual steering. Maybe someone else has a better and more accurate description.

I've seen today that mini.sewellparts.com has the pump for 700 and the pressure hose for 140. I assume the price is the same at parts.miniofsouthatlanta.com

PS. I have a 2003 Mini Cooper S and the power steering shut off once in July a couple of hours after competing in an Autocross. The PS was whining fairly loud as I was leaving the facility. It has never done that again, nor does it whine that loud, however it has always had a slight whine over the last year that I've owned it.

Old 11-16-2012 | 05:19 PM
Johnna
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DaveeHogan

Have you had a chance to read this thread? Lots of information!

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...p-failure.html

Old 11-16-2012 | 05:23 PM
minsanity
6th Gear
Heat should be controlled in electric motor pumps. The fuel pump has the fuel itself as its coolant. Generally so too w/ electric water pumps. Can't apply same w/ hot PS fluid. PS Fan should turn on when 1st stage is called unless you have an early 1st gen like mine when PS fan only activates w/ 2nd Stage. Dealership can rewire this, but, I opted to line a relayed/fused manual switch for the PS fan. I can turn it on/off anytime. You can try to clean your pump as this thread below:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-pump-fix.html

Who knows, it'll resurrect itself.

Old 11-16-2012 | 05:39 PM
04_Indi_Mini_S
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by minsanity
You can try to clean your pump as this thread below:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-pump-fix.html
This is what I did using the link here http://www.mini2.com/forum/first-gen...yes-no-22.html
I used silicone to close off the openings into the electronics so no more dust would get in there.

Just be careful of the dust. It really is terrible.

Old 11-16-2012 | 06:48 PM
k_h_d
6th Gear
Had a 2003 that never had a problem. Current owner also still has not had an issue with it. The cooling fan got loud at some point so I replaced that before it went out. When it goes out then the pump overheats and thats how I think they generally would burn up.

Old 11-16-2012 | 07:17 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
How do you get $1400-3000 when a NEW pump is about $500?!
Sounds like you need to get a new shop.
The pump is the only part that was recalled....
If you ps rack is bad, it is often from having used the wrong ps fluid....
A rebult ps pump can be used...about $200...works for some.
Same for the rack....a full remanfacured unit is much cheaper than new, and on a car about 10 years old...rubber seals are kinda expected to be failing....just part of owning a older car....get used to it!!
The ps pump does REQUIRE that it be looked after....like ensuring that the cooling fan stays working....some folks NEVER check it...it takes about 1 minute to inspect it as part of an oil change, and maybe 15 min to change....but most indepent mini garages will do it without you asking...and charge you about half the labour rate as the mini dealer....
Ask youself....would you bring a 10 year old, 150,000 mile ford to the dealer for an oil chane, etc...no never....lol, why do the same with a mini?!

Old 11-16-2012 | 09:55 PM
minsanity
6th Gear
Key to maximizing pump life is a working PS fan that triggers when Low-speed rad fan is called. Always use recommended CHF11S fluid. Periodically check fan & fluid level. Hoses are known to leak.

Old 11-17-2012 | 09:34 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
A rebuilt ps pump can be used...about $200...works for some.
Same for the rack....a full remanfacured unit is much cheaper than new, and on a car about 10 years old...rubber seals are kinda expected to be failing....just part of owning a older car....get used to it!!
The ps pump does REQUIRE that it be looked after....like ensuring that the cooling fan stays working....some folks NEVER check it...it takes about 1 minute to inspect it as part of an oil change, and maybe 15 min to change....but most interdependent mini garages will do it without you asking...and charge you about half the labor rate as the mini dealer....
Ask yourself....would you bring a 10 year old, 150,000 mile ford to the dealer for an oil change, etc...no never....lol, why do the same with a mini?!

Also of not....you cross posted this OP in BOTH gen1 and gen2 forums....The ENTIRE PS system was redesigned, and changed on gen2 cars....

Old 11-17-2012 | 09:35 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Also of note...The PS issues you describe is a gen1 Issue...it was totally redesigned for the gen2 cars...

Old 11-17-2012 | 09:45 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
http://www.waymotorworks.com/oem-pow...ring-pump.html
here is the link for a NEW OEM pump.
The same pump as you but from the dealer...
http://www.waymotorworks.com/oem-pow...ering-fan.html

Here is the OEM cooling fan...
One stop shopping!!
http://www.waymotorworks.com/chf-11s...ing-fluid.htmlAnd the correct PS fluid!!
leaky hose? Here it is, OEM..http://www.waymotorworks.com/r50-53-...sure-line.html
and the other hose...http://www.waymotorworks.com/r50-53-...tion-line.html
And here is the PS tank....http://www.waymotorworks.com/power-s...0-r52-r53.html
Still trying to get to $1400...and that is everything but the rack....think you need a different shop!!
Most of this stuff NEVER goes bad...and a pump can be changed in a driveway on a set of jack stands in a couple hours....sounds like your beef is with the shop that overcharged you!!

Old 11-17-2012 | 09:54 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
A rebuilt ps pump can be used...about $200...works for some.
The ps pump does REQUIRE that it be looked after....like ensuring that the cooling fan stays working....some folks NEVER check it...it takes about 1 minute to inspect it as part of an oil change, and maybe 15 min to change....but most interdependent mini garages will do it without you asking...and charge you about half the labor rate as the mini dealer....
Ask yourself....would you bring a 10 year old, 150,000 mile ford to the dealer for an oil change, etc...no never....lol, why do the same with a mini?!

Also of not....you cross posted this OP in BOTH gen1 and gen2 forums....The ENTIRE PS system was redesigned, and changed on gen2 cars....

Old 11-17-2012 | 09:55 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
http://www.waymotorworks.com/oem-pow...ring-pump.html
here is the link for a NEW OEM pump. $$595.00
The same pump as you but from the dealer...$185.00
http://www.waymotorworks.com/oem-pow...ering-fan.html

Here is the OEM cooling fan...
One stop shopping!!
http://www.waymotorworks.com/chf-11s...-fluid.htmlAnd the correct PS fluid!! $25.00
leaky hose? $57 and $65...Here it is, OEM..http://www.waymotorworks.com/r50-53-...sure-line.html
and the other hose...http://www.waymotorworks.com/r50-53-...tion-line.html
And here is the PS tank...$12.00...http://www.waymotorworks.com/power-s...0-r52-r53.html
Still trying to get to $1400...and that is everything but the rack....think you need a different shop!!
Most of this stuff NEVER goes bad...and a pump can be changed in a driveway on a set of jack stands in a couple hours....sounds like your beef is with the shop that overcharged you!!
And all those prices are one stop...no cross shopping....can save tons ton shipping.

Last edited by ZippyNH; 11-17-2012 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Added prices!!
Old 11-17-2012 | 01:15 PM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DaveeHogan

You should also read the sticky that has been going for YEARS assembling ONE list of people who have had this failure and also provides a link to the Government site to file a formal complaint which many of us on this forum have already visited and contributed to. As have people from MINI 2.

Just type in google mini power steering and you will likely find all the links straight away