Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Passenger Door won't open from inside or outside

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 04:58 PM
ijourneaux
3rd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Passenger Door won't open from inside or outside

I am trying to figur eout how to fix the door latchon the passenger side of my 2004 Cooper S. As of last week, it won't open from the indoe or the outside. The lock mechanism seems to actuate but the door won't open.

Reading the forum, it seems that this may be a "common" problem but how do I get the door open so I can take the inside door panel off and fix it? Is the only way to pull the passenger seat somehow?

Once I figure out how to get the panel off, do I need to get a new part or just MacGyver it?

Thanks for

Old 11-30-2012, 07:29 PM
ColinGreene
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
id probably take the seat out, and try to take the door panel out from the inside.
it might be a pain but i think it can be done.
the bowden cable in the door breaks
and or the locking mechanism.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:09 AM
ijourneaux
3rd Gear
Got the seat out. That part was easier than I expected. I was also able to get the inside door panel partially removed but can't get it all of the way off because it is jammed between the door and the dash. What ever is unhooked/brokern seem to be by the exterior door handle. I can reach in but I have no clue what I am reaching for. Anyone point me to a picture?

Old 12-01-2012, 11:38 AM
ColinGreene
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Try checking Real Oem, I figured getting the seat out would help.
you may have to try to yank the door panel straight backwards to the rear of the car
to get it out.
you will shear the plastic clips but good news is they are cheap.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:29 PM
ijourneaux
3rd Gear
It is virtually impossible to get the inside door panel out if the door is not open. It gets caught up between the tweeter and the dash and won't come any further. I pulled as hard as I could dare, broke off one more plastic clip but the door panel won't come out.

On the good side though, I was able to reach in and find the cable up above the door latch mechanism and pulling on that opened the door.

Of course now the door opens and closes fine. But I didn't really do anything <grin>

I guess it is safe to assume that this will happen again so how do you prevent this? Particularly in my case when the problem was up by the latch mechanism.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:10 PM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Old 06-08-2013, 02:01 PM
ijourneaux
3rd Gear
Ordered a replacement cable for for my passenger side door. Got it installed today (weather is finally nice) was about to congradulate myself for a job well done but no joy.

The door opens from the inside and outside like it should if the door is unlocked. Once the door is locked, it will only unlock by reaching into the door and pulling down on the lever that is hooked up to the door handle. Using the key fob or the unlock switch below the radio, moves the mechanism but it doesn't allow the door to be opened.

What am I missing?

EDIT
I got the door handle out. looking at the end of the door handle cable, the interior clear tubing extends about 1/4 inch beyond the black exterior tubing. I am assuming that isn't good ????

If that explains why the door doesn't open from the outside, I can't see why this would impact opening the door from the inside.

If the cable is bad, Do I have to replace the entire door handle? Can I repair the cable by wrapping some wire around the end?

Last edited by ijourneaux; 06-08-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:58 PM
Hi5
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 MCS Passenger door won't open

The passenger door on my 2005 MCS won't open from the inside or outside. I was able to remove the door panel (gosh...!) but pulling on the door opening cable directly didn't help. The door is in locked position. I sprayed a bunch of WD40 on the lock through the opening in the door. So far no results. I also bought a new lock mechanism to learn as where to pull/push move anything. It seems that the new lock has a cover that opens to the top whereas the one in the door has a lid that opens to the bottom. Ok I figured that out .....
Any helps, hints appreciated. Thanks in advance.