Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Broken oil dip stick

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 05:05 AM
insanitize
2nd Gear
Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
Broken oil dip stick

It seems that my oil dipstick had broken off inside the metal tube.
I went to check the oil and when I pulled up the stick only about 6 inches of it cam out the rest is still in the tube.
I tried removing the broken piece by trying to get a long spring around it, doing the same with a piece of tubing, and by attaching shrink tubing to the piece that comes out then running the engine to operating temp to try to shrink the tubing around the other piece. All to no avail.
It appears that my last option is to remove the radiator and ac parts to access the tube itself. Anybody have any other suggestions be for I start pulling the nose apart, I'm not really in a rush because the mini doesn't get driven much but any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:42 AM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Here's one of two possible solutions found on our site. Check post #8 and #9. http://www.mini2.com/forum/first-gen...-comments.html. Good luck.

Last edited by buzzsaw; 12-01-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:43 AM
avuton
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[Removed, coffee before posting]

Old 03-09-2013, 11:34 AM
ThorSanchez
1st Gear
So I just broke my CravenSpeed dipstick after an oil change in my '05 MCS. Pulled it out to check the level and it snapped about 6" or so from the end. I'll try a couple of ways to get it out, but in the mean time is this likely to hurt anything? I'm pretty sure the broken tip is wedged in the tube, and I'm guessing it'll stay there. But what's likely to happen if it ends up in the oil pan?

Old 03-09-2013, 11:39 AM
xsmini
6th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
I lost the tip of my craven speed a few years ago. I assume its still in the pan. No problems. One of these days I'll take the pan off and get it out. I went back to stock. Craven refused to replace it too. Kinda pathetic a $70+ part fails like that.

Nik

Old 03-09-2013, 11:43 AM
ThorSanchez
1st Gear
Originally Posted by xsmini
I lost the tip of my craven speed a few years ago. I assume its still in the pan. No problems. One of these days I'll take the pan off and get it out. I went back to stock. Craven refused to replace it too. Kinda pathetic a $70+ part fails like that.

Nik
Nice to know it's not going to cause any issues. Sucks that Craven refused to replace. Obviously they know it's an issue because they now make a new all-metal version and discontinued the plastic piece of @$%#.

Thanks for the response. Just have to decide what to do for a new one...

Old 03-09-2013, 12:32 PM
Quesera
5th Gear

Nik
I thought the Cravenspeed was all metal, designed to improve on the fragile OEM.

Yours broke?

Old 03-09-2013, 12:40 PM
ThorSanchez
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Quesera
I thought the Cravenspeed was all metal, designed to improve on the fragile OEM.

Yours broke?
I think there are/were two Cravenspeed versions. One from at least several years ago that I have that was some kind of plastic, and one they currently sell that's metal.

I might buy the metal one, but I'm kind of disappointed that the plastic one broke and don't really like the idea of rewarding a company for poor design by buying the new, improved replacement from them.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:03 PM
xsmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ThorSanchez
I think there are/were two Cravenspeed versions. One from at least several years ago that I have that was some kind of plastic, and one they currently sell that's metal.

I might buy the metal one, but I'm kind of disappointed that the plastic one broke and don't really like the idea of rewarding a company for poor design by buying the new, improved replacement from them.
Yes, I had the origional version.

Nik

Old 03-10-2013, 11:17 PM
CravenSpeed
Vendor
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Nik
Nik-
I agree, that's pathetic. I don't know what happened there, maybe we just couldn't replace it because I stopped making the resin version of the dipstick before you had an issue. I will certainly replace it with a brand new one though. You have a PM, because I will need an address to send it to. I am not into denying warranty claims.

Thor-
You should also expect the same treatment, so you will also have a PM. I don't have any handy advice on how to get a piece out or whether or not to leave it in there because it is not something we have dealt with before. I can certainly get into though since it seems you require a solution. We only stopped making them that way because between the cost of the precision ground, fiberglass filled resin, and the time it took for me to assemble them by hand we were losing money on each one we sold. That's my fault though, not yours, and we will absolutely replace the broken items.

-=Kellen

Old 03-10-2013, 11:34 PM
MiniKar
5th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
This is what I have done so the OEM dipstick does not break in the tube.

I cut off my OEM dipstick so only the yellow end remains, so it is used as a plug for the dipstick tube.

I have a complete OEM dipstick in the boot; I use it to check my oil level then clean it and it stays in the boot until needed once again.

Forget paying big $$$ for a product from a company that has caused you this big problem.

Have you tried a powerful shop vac to suck out the broken part ???? Just a thought.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:32 AM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Fearing a broken OEM dipstick, I purchased the latest Cravenspeed dipstick design last month. The price is well worth the peace of mind of long term ownership. The grimmace of the tug and pull to check the oil is now history. It's a quality product and I couldn't be happier.

Last edited by buzzsaw; 03-11-2013 at 06:47 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:47 AM
xsmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Kellen
Nik-
I agree, that's pathetic. I don't know what happened there, maybe we just couldn't replace it because I stopped making the resin version of the dipstick before you had an issue. I will certainly replace it with a brand new one though. You have a PM, because I will need an address to send it to. I am not into denying warranty claims.

-=Kellen
Awesome! Very Stand Up Business! Just gained my respect and will be one of the first companies I look to for future items. Thanks,

Nik

Old 03-11-2013, 08:58 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Nice to see a vendor on here stand behind there products unlike some. My hats off to you Kellen.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:51 AM
JoanieB
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kellen stands behind his product, and I HIGHLY recommend his replacement dipstick! Cravenspeed is where I look FIRST for parts, bought the dipstick, two platypus license plate relocaters, an iPhone mount, and a stubby antenna from them. Very quality products and I have total trust in their customer service.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:56 AM
CravenSpeed
Vendor
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by JoanieB
Kellen stands behind his product, and I HIGHLY recommend his replacement dipstick! Cravenspeed is where I look FIRST for parts, bought the dipstick, two platypus license plate relocaters, an iPhone mount, and a stubby antenna from them. Very quality products and I have total trust in their customer service.
Thanks Joanie!

Old 03-11-2013, 12:07 PM
xsmini
6th Gear
I'm looking for stuff to buy right now.

Nik

Old 03-23-2013, 05:36 AM
ThorSanchez
1st Gear
Got my replacement earlier this week - it's the new metal version and works like a champ. Very happy with Cravenspeed.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:58 AM
XxThalakosxX
2nd Gear
Just got my first MCS two months ago. Went to check the oil and saw the OEM dipstick was hanging by threads. Carefully reinserted and have since replaced it with the CravenSpeed one. Pretty happy with it. Funny seeing the look on someone's face when they see you check your oil at the gas station. My only issue is, the instruction say that if the oil is at the bottom line that oil is about a quart low. Checked my oil the other day and it was barely on the bottom of the stick. Added a full quart. Ran the engine about a minute, checked it again and it well past the top of the weighted end.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:33 PM
Carmichael
4th Gear
I've overfilled a few times, too, and I have the newer, all-metal Craven dipstick. I think the problem with the new ones is that it's hard to see exactly how much of the dipstick is covered in oil, especially when you have new, or close to new, not-really-black oil in the car.

Maybe powdercoating the end with matte black powder would make the oil level more legible.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:05 PM
XxThalakosxX
2nd Gear
Maybe I can rough the polish a bit and put some high temp plastidip on the end

Old 03-25-2013, 06:41 PM
ColinGreene
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice work Craven, I always have liked you guys.
I would hesitate to put anything on the end of the dipstick however. just use a light. or fold a paper towel around the stick to see where it comes out on the paper towel.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:18 PM
XxThalakosxX
2nd Gear
It's not a huge deal. Not like the stock one was easy to read. At least the Craven one won't crack

Old 03-30-2013, 05:16 PM
SpeedBuggy
Neutral
Well, broke the dipstick on our 2005 R53 also.

It did come out in one piece, so as not to have any issue, I finished breaking it off at the and used the the yellow top as a plug until I get the metal replacement. Ordered from Cravenspeed, rather expensive but looks like it will be worth it if it works as everyone has indicated.

What are the thoughts to spraying a light coat of white or yellow high temp spray paint on the end to see the oil level?

Old 03-30-2013, 08:12 PM
JoanieB
5th Gear
Originally Posted by SpeedBuggy
What are the thoughts to spraying a light coat of white or yellow high temp spray paint on the end to see the oil level?
It's really only an issue when the oil is very new. It helps to roll it on a paper towel when it is new, if you can't see the level easily. If it is overfilled, you will be VERY frustrated until you figure that out and drop it to where it should be.
Otherwise, as far as the paint.. wait and see if you need it. We don't, with ours. In person, you can see the oil just fine.

You'll be pleased with it.!