Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Alternator problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 08:41 AM
GoinCrzyWanaCom
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternator problem?

I tried looking through the threads and previous posts for something on the issue but could not find anything..

My 03' Mini has been losing power.. I'll be driving and the power steering, abs, airbags, etc will all stop working, lights light up on the dash.My clock goes, heater doesn't work etc... I replaced the alternator 2 weeks ago, the car was fine, and now the same thing happened again..
My mechanic for whatever reason that I will never understand did not replace the serpentine belt (or better known in my Bentley Manual as the Engine Drive Belt, Drive Belt, and Accessory belt). I went to BMW bought a new belt, tried doing it myself but could not move the tensioner so I brought it back to my mechanic with the belt. He thinks the alternator blew.. I guess it kind of makes sense because we used a remanufactured one, since BMW wants $681 for the part alone.

Does anyone have any ideas? Suggestions? Things to check? I checked my battery is holds a charge, I think it may be damaged at this point from the abuse the past 2 weeks, but as long as it holds a charge I don't think I'm gonna replace it. There is nothing draining it while the engine is off, so that rules out a short circuit, when the car is running it get no charge at all.. However, it was jumping from 12.8v to 12.11v then back down then jumped to 14+ volts. I think we are replacing the alternator again since it's under warranty. Any input would be greatly appreciated.. Maybe there's something here that I'm missing..

One last thing, how important is the battery cover? According to the Bentley Service Manual it's a heat resistant cover.. My mechanic lost my battery cover how I will never know but if it's that important I will buy a new one...

Thanks!

-Mike

Old 12-11-2012, 08:54 PM
minsanity
6th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Check your harmonic damper. If it's done, go w/ aftermarket dampers like ATI or the fluid 1. Similar symptoms when mine went.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:06 PM
GoinCrzyWanaCom
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the harmonic dampener the same thing as the belt tensioner?

Old 12-12-2012, 12:23 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Non s is not likly having a harmonic samper issue...possible...
It is a pulley that drives the belt comming from the crankshaft...it has a thin (on a non s) layer of rubber between two different sized pullies to damper out shocks/harmonics from ac getting turned on, etc (and some neat sttuff on harmonics due to resonance and cranksft length), but sounds kinda like a bad alternator....the voltage issue sounds like the tell...but get the battery tested..usually free..if it has been killed a time or two...might be an contributing issue. Cheap lifetime alterntors are exactly that..cheap, but killer warrenty....just need a new one every few months....they just do not last. Many folks here have actually installed more than one to get a good one...if YOUR LABOUR is free, might be ok...but pay to have it swapped 2x, and the quality one is much cheaper!!