Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Seized Calipers - now what?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 09:02 AM
leaf_fan_1988
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Seized Calipers - now what?

2005 Mini Cooper 5 Speed, 160k KM (100k miles) original factory pads and rotors in the back.

3 weeks ago, I swung by my mechanic because my rear brakes were squealing, but I have plenty of meat left on the pads. He came along for a ride and, of course, they didn't make a peep the whole time.

But we hoisted the car, spun the back wheels by hand and the drivers side rear had some resistance too it compared to the passenger wheel. We diagnosed that it was a seized caliper, on both sides, more so the drivers, he said just drive it and we'd change the calipers, pads and rotors when the pads disintegrate.

Since then, my brakes have not squealed, but my drivers side rotor is heavily grooved, and some day's while I'm coming to a stop I'll be slowing down smooth, and then the rear brakes will catch as if I pulled the e-brake.

How quickly should I replace my calipers, rotors and healthy pads?
And what are my options for calipers? Don't want to spend unnecessary money on bigger rear brakes for a justa cooper. Just want things to work.
I was told you can't rebuild BMW calipers, have to get new ones, or working ones off a part out car.

Any advice?

Old 12-11-2012, 10:35 AM
Redhatch
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had a similar problem with my 03 R53. Start by removing the e brake cable. See if it moves freely, they are known to rust at the elbow below the bellows. Remove the piston dust seal and unscrew the piston. Check for any corrosion on the piston and piston bore. If the surfaces can be cleaned up smooth then they will be able to accept new seals. With the seal removed from the bore the piston should be able to be screwed in and out freely. Check to see if the e brake arm on the caliper moves and that the spring returns the arm fully. Remove the rubber bushings for the slide pins from the caliper. Check for corrosion in the bores. If corroded clean up with 80 grit sand paper. Rebuild kits are available from Rock auto I believe. I replaced the rotors, pads and resealed the calipers for around 130.00 in parts.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:38 AM
ljmattox
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds pretty dangerous, as is.

A quick check for aftermarket parts (RockAuto) finds 1/2 dozen brands of rebuilt calipers, USD $40-80 plus core charge. One alternative, perhaps.