Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Bizarre Transmission Behavior from MCSa

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 08:05 PM
vento84
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bizarre Transmission Behavior from MCSa

I have a 2006 Mini Cooper S with about 109,000 miles on it. For at least the past 5000 miles or so the car was experiencing extremely rough shifting. In October I had a Revmax valve body installed and it seemed to completely correct the problem. The car worked liked a dream for the first three or four weeks after install, but now I seem to be experiencing some curious behavior.

About a week ago, I started the car up in the morning and it threw an SES and had the "EP" in the center console tachometer, however, the car at that time seemed to otherwise be fine. I ran a scan and it came back with a P0700 code. I cleared the code and the car was fine. Then I started it up a little later and the car would only work in third gear. I turned the car on and off and everything was fine.

There now seems to be a routine where if the car has sat overnight it will throw an "EP" and only have third gear available, but if the car is turned off and on after approximately five minutes of operation, the "EP" light will still be on, but it will shift normally. After about an hour of operation, if the car is turned off and on all will be fine (i.e., no light and normal shifting).

Also, if I attempt to clear the code, I will not have the "EP" light, but will only have third gear available. I know this because if I attempt to use the paddles it will not shift out of third. I will have normal shifting if I turn the car on and off after about five minutes of operation.

I have been clearing the code every morning, but it will return the next day and its always the P0700 code.

Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Old 12-14-2012, 10:22 AM
GreenR53
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 12-14-2012, 09:19 PM
vento84
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, but I've already posted the same in that thread to no avail. Also, the problem that I am experiencing comes after installing a new valve body and is altogether different in symptoms. Any theories/thoughts/advice would be appreciated.