Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Water pump leaks - how many miles?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 03:39 PM
RogerB39
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My was replaced last week.
08' Clubman S 49,5K, and of course, it's 6 months out of warranty.
Roughly $650 at the dealer.
Unfortunately, MINIUSA offered no help towards parts or labor...

Old 03-04-2013, 04:08 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man, I hoped this list wouldn't continue growing. Though I suspected it would. Such low mileage...

For anyone tuning in, you will really have to ASK for the aluminum version of the waterpump. MINI is still replacing plastic with plastic even though some of their techs have been updated about the aluminum version.

Since I ran my car intermittently over the last month and a half I noticed that the leak actually became less as the weather warmed slightly. Could it be that plastic is more vulnerable to contracting in cold weather and then the gasket doesn't seat perfectly?? The day my pump came out, it literally wasn't leaking at all...

I do wish MINI would step up and do the right thing. There's just too many cars with too few miles on them to have this kind of issue. Especially TWICE! My 2000 Jeep Cherokee has the original water pump - 111,000.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:09 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gerry2153
How about 12.4K

I think I win
That's crazy.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:15 AM
colejd
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Albiecrazy
Man, I hoped this list wouldn't continue growing. Though I suspected it would. Such low mileage...

For anyone tuning in, you will really have to ASK for the aluminum version of the waterpump. MINI is still replacing plastic with plastic even though some of their techs have been updated about the aluminum version.
I have a 08 Clubman S with 117K. I am planing on having Helix install my water pump after pricing the repair at 2 local MINI dealers. I have the new part number (11-51-8-604-888) and the best price I can find from MINI (with a club discount) is $160.52. I am told by them that this part is the one with the aluminum housing. I have also found the part, in two separate manufactured versions, at great prices at this site http://www.rmeuropean.com/search.asp...1-51-8-604-888. I'm thinking the one from Saleri is the current MINI replacement but I am not sure. Any idea if this site can be trusted?

Old 03-07-2013, 07:22 AM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
That's definitely the part #. Cannot vouch for either of those vendors since I've never used them. I understand that the price difference between the 2 pumps is $10 - MINI'S cost... Those are really great prices and at least the pictures of the pump look exactly like mine.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:06 AM
colejd
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Albiecrazy
That's definitely the part #. Cannot vouch for either of those vendors since I've never used them. I understand that the price difference between the 2 pumps is $10 - MINI'S cost... Those are really great prices and at least the pictures of the pump look exactly like mine.
Is yours the more expensive one?

Old 03-07-2013, 09:08 AM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Mine looks exactly like the Saleri version. I should have posted a pic of the other side of the pump here. It's in the "What did you do to your MINI today?" Thread if you want to see it.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:31 AM
myR56S
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
49k, outta warranty, outta luck.

Can someone tell me if the OEM Mini pump was upgraded/updated to a metal housing? I received a quote for a OEM pump @ $200. I am okay with this IF it is metal. Not a plastic one that will fault again.

I have heard rumors that some aftermarket metal pumps have a shaft that is too long and it needs to be ground down. I am also skeptical of buying aftermarket for fear of a inferior product. Suggestions my friends?

Need some suggestions on a great metal pump. I wanna get this over with and on the road again.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:42 AM
bmx045
4th Gear
Old 03-07-2013, 11:00 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
That is the HEPU aftermarket water pump. I'm planning to get one of those and install it. I have not seen anyone posting that they have tried that particular brand, so hopefully I won't run into any problems.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:36 PM
myR56S
3rd Gear
Most excellent bmx045! Thank you. I forgot about ECS (even though I bought my PCV block off caps from them). And less than half the price too!

Anyone know the torque specs for the water pump to block bolts?

Old 03-07-2013, 12:51 PM
myR56S
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
That is the HEPU aftermarket water pump. I'm planning to get one of those and install it. I have not seen anyone posting that they have tried that particular brand, so hopefully I won't run into any problems.
Oh man am I excited! Just pulled the trigger on the HEPU w/p.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:56 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
New aluminum pump on left -- old plastic on right FWIW...

Old 03-29-2013, 07:53 PM
colejd
2nd Gear
I had Helix Motorsports replace mine on Monday along with the timing chain and serpentine belt. They did a great job.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:27 PM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
Just noticed a loss of coolant - checking all possible options - any other symptoms associated with this?

Old 04-19-2013, 04:16 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Just a follow-up. Trying to follow the Bentley manual instructions, I was able to get the old pump out. However, when I was test fitting the HEPU it looks like it too has a spindle that is too long. I ended up turning my project over to a real mechanic. They were able to finish the job using the HEPU. Not sure I would have been able to.

kyoo - for the water pump, I had a very noticeable coolant leak going on. My understanding is that if bad enough, the pump can seize up, which would then lead to overheating (hopefully not catastrophic, but that is the main risk). I noticed I was getting varying heat in the mornings (warm in motion, cool when stopped), but I think that was more a sign of a failing thermostat (which I had replaced).

Old 04-19-2013, 06:17 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Just a follow-up. Trying to follow the Bentley manual instructions, I was able to get the old pump out. However, when I was test fitting the HEPU it looks like it too has a spindle that is too long. I ended up turning my project over to a real mechanic. They were able to finish the job using the HEPU. Not sure I would have been able to.

kyoo - for the water pump, I had a very noticeable coolant leak going on. My understanding is that if bad enough, the pump can seize up, which would then lead to overheating (hopefully not catastrophic, but that is the main risk). I noticed I was getting varying heat in the mornings (warm in motion, cool when stopped), but I think that was more a sign of a failing thermostat (which I had replaced).
gotcha - i just haven't been able to see where the leak is coming from yet.. hopefully when it dries (and warms) up here

Old 04-19-2013, 06:54 AM
Fastlane
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I used the Graf pump and had the same issue....ended up just slicing off the end of the spindle with a cutoff wheel and it went in fine. Does the Bentley have you replace the pump topside or from under the car/wheel well? My guess is that these aftermarket parts makers design the pumps assuming you will do the replacement from underneath where there may not be the same interference problems that there are doing it topside.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:24 AM
myR56S
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by kyoo
Just noticed a loss of coolant - checking all possible options - any other symptoms associated with this?
My W/P and thermostat housing were both leaking. At first the thermostat housing was leaking the worst. It leaks onto the transmission and pools right on top. Easy to see when looking past the intake tube. Also it leaks down the transmission and drips onto the ground just to the driver side of the middle of the car.

The water pump is located on the passenger side and it drips down the motor and we onto the passenger side of the vehicle.

Where the coolant leaks is a certain telltale of what part is failing.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:14 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
^ I haven't noticed any leaks - haven't been able to look closely, and it's been rainy the last few days. Will check after work today..

How much variance are u guys seeing in the coolant tank in general, say from running at operating temp to cold start in cold temp?

Old 04-19-2013, 09:18 AM
myR56S
3rd Gear
^ I haven't noticed any leaks - haven't been able to look closely, and it's been rainy the last few days. Will check after work today..

How much variance are u guys seeing in the coolant tank in general, say from running at operating temp to cold start in cold temp?
When both water pump and thermostat housing were leaking (just before replacing) I was using almost all the coolant in my expansion tank. I would have to top it off almost every day. And MINI coolant is not cheap.

The tank has "COLD" & "HOT" lines and I was staying at those lines when the engine was cold and hot respectively.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:25 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by myR56S
When both water pump and thermostat housing were leaking (just before replacing) I was using almost all the coolant in my expansion tank. I would have to top it off almost every day. And MINI coolant is not cheap.

The tank has "COLD" & "HOT" lines and I was staying at those lines when the engine was cold and hot respectively.
do you know before the parts failed, what your variance was?

Old 04-19-2013, 09:28 AM
myR56S
3rd Gear
do you know before the parts failed, what your variance was?
Before the failures my car stayed right at 'cold' when the engine was cold and stayed right at 'hot' when the car was hot.

How often are you filling your tank?

Old 04-19-2013, 09:30 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by myR56S
Before the failures my car stayed right at 'cold' when the engine was cold and stayed right at 'hot' when the car was hot.

How often are you filling your tank?
just once - but it was full a week prior, then under min just yesterday in cold. I don't see a hot cold on my expansion tank though, just max & min:

Name:  IMG_2071_zpsedce9d9d.jpg
Views: 1200
Size:  103.9 KB

Old 04-19-2013, 09:36 AM
myR56S
3rd Gear
just once - but it was full a week prior, then under min just yesterday in cold. I don't see a hot cold on my expansion tank though, just max & min:

I am sorry, you are correct. It is MIN & MAX. Sorry I was thinking of my other car.

If you have only filled it once then you might just be starting to see the begining stages of one of the two parts begining to fail.

My thermostat housing started leak a little around where the temp sensor goes. And then the major leaking was when the two halves of the housing (which are glued together) started leaking where the return pipe attaches the housing.

The water pump leaks at the bottom of the pump from what looks like an electrical plug of sorts. Easiest way to see that is to jack up the car and crawl under there and use a flash light to see if there is any dried up coolant on the pump or block.

When the water pump begins to leak it leaks so slow that the coolant dries up from the heat before it touches the ground. The telltale is the greenish/blue colour on the block.

Quick Reply: Water pump leaks - how many miles?