Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Strange steering lumpiness?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 01:39 PM
nismo4life
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange steering lumpiness?

So I've encountered an issue with my power steering and it doesn't seem to be acting in the same way the majority do in regards to the symptoms

The problem itself only occurs while the car is cold. The car needs to have been sitting for a while (only happens when I leave it out overnight or during my 10 hour work shift). Once the car warms unit stops doing it.

When I first turn the steering wheel it will feel lumpy almost. If I turn it, it will get a bit stiff, then free up again, then stiff again, then free again. The wheel will not go back to center if I let it go it will stay turned. I checked my fluid and its registering on the stick. It makes typical power steering noise when you put load on it. The fan was replaced previously, and cleaned out last year.

Like I said, once I get the engine to operational temperature and I've driven it enough for the suspension, tires and brakes to warm up it is gone and the steering acts normally. I bought the car in November, and this really only started being noticeable in the last week or two. It's been extremely cold with it dropping into the low teens at night. Doesn't get higher that mid 20's during the day. No P/S whines, no intermittent p/s loss, No fluid leaks...I'm baffled. Anyone have this happen to them and can shed some light??

Car is an '06 with 128k.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:17 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
trace your steering col' under the dash to where it goes thru the firewall. You're going to find a universal joint with plastic components.

Have someone turn the wheels lock to lock and see if you sense any binding here.

Mine was replaced twice on my GEN1 - it got sticky when cold - OK when warm - I'd hear and feel it 'clicking' - but only when quite cold. I solved the problem by moving to central Florida!

If you do find a problem - if it has old lube on it I'd clean it up and put some good stuff on there, something that handles cold temps.....
(WD-40 will melt old grease and clean things up. But it is NOT a long term lubricant)

Old 02-07-2013, 02:33 PM
nismo4life
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
trace your steering col' under the dash to where it goes thru the firewall. You're going to find a universal joint with plastic components.

Have someone turn the wheels lock to lock and see is you sense any binding here.

Mine was replaced twice on my GEN1 - it got sticky when cold - OK when warm. I solved the problem by moving to central Florida!

If you do find a problem - if it has old lube on it I'd clean it up and put some good stuff on there, something that handles cold temps.....
Haha well I can't move, but I will def check that out man thanks!!!

Old 02-08-2013, 09:32 AM
nismo4life
3rd Gear
Old 03-13-2013, 06:18 AM
nismo4life
3rd Gear
Bump this. So this morning the car sat overnight in my garage. It was mid 40's in there and the steering had the same strange lumpiness and it was a bit stiff. Drove 12 miles to work and it didnt really change too much. I parked the car, punched in, and went back out to park it downstairs. Turned it on and when I backed up and turned wheel I noticed it felt pretty normal. Wasn't getting lumpy or stuck, and it was lighter than before. Felt normal in steering strength. So I take it my pump is shitting the bed? Any way to 100% confirm this so I don't have to spend all that money for nothing??

Old 05-04-2013, 04:28 PM
nismo4life
3rd Gear
Bump. Weather started to warm up and it went completely away. I've diagnosed it down to be the PS Pump. I'm a solid 98% sure on this so if anyone else experiences this and looks into this thread for an answer...that's mine.