Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Fog lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 01:19 PM
datjams
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fog lights not working

Who knows which is the right fuse or relay? None of mine seem to have the right icon, which is an image of a light with a numeral 2. No green light on the switch (the one by my left knee).

Old 02-10-2013, 01:46 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
switch by the left knee is the driving lights not the fogs

fogs switch would be on the toggle panel IF the fogs are installed. They live in the bumper, low. Driving lights live on brackets thru the grill

note that driving lights will ONLY come on if your high beams are on if they are factory installs, unmodified

Depress the switch (1) located on the driver’s
knee bolster to place the Aux. Driving Lights into
a ready/standby mode.
· The Auxiliary Driving Lights are in a
ready/standby mode when the green indicator
light (2) on the switch is illuminated.
· The Auxiliary Driving Lights will only illuminate in conjunction with the standard high beam lamps,
which can be illuminated, by either switching on the high beams or by activation of the headlight
flasher.
· The Auxiliary Driving Lights can be deactivated at any time by depressing the switch located on the driver’s knee bolster.
Reset mode:
Once the ignition has been turned off, the operation of the auxiliary driving lights is reset. In order to have the auxiliary driving light illuminate in conjunction with the high beam lights, the auxiliary driving light switch must again be depressed to activate the lights.

perchance you'd like to review the installation instructions for the driving lights

http://www.minimania.com/pdfile/NMA3030_INSTR.zip

The driving light kit is 'always' an add on on the fuse isn't in the fuse panel
see page 18 for instructions about changing the fuse

page 9 is where the fuse is attached to the harness . . . it hangs close to the relay ...

page 10 discusses connecting a wire to the wire bundle in the BCM in the pass' kick panel.. THIS is the jumper to the high beam trigger line that ties the DLs to the high beams. If this connection has come undone the DLs won't come on . . .

instructions contain full wiring schematics.

I've installed several sets for folks, PM if you have additional questions.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:31 PM
datjams
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks. They are the driving lights; I have always confused them. I did swap that aux fuse, and they did come on--when the hood was open; shut when I closed it. Pinched wire somewhere?

Old 02-11-2013, 04:32 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
I'd look for the ground wire first

typically it was attached to the ground right near the driver side bonnet hinge

look for the bundle of wires coming back from the lights along underside of bonnet to the hinge area, the ground wire will be a brown wire coming out of this bundle. Possibly the connection is loose where it was attached to the grounding point, or got pinched . . .