Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Projector Headlight Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 08:54 AM
AlexQS
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Harkness
I hope this is the right thread to post in. I read the earlier questions about having OEM Xenon lights. My question is this my stock lights are not Xenon or HID what is involved if i want to upgrade my lights to projector headlights? I found a set on amazon, Amazon.com: Mini Cooper Base/S Black Halo Projector Headlights: Automotive

that's the link, my current setup has the high beams mounted on the front grill, while it's cute i'd rather change it over.

thanks,

-Harkness
Those are halogen. Many have tried putting hid bulbs into spyderco lenses/projectors. The end result isn't great. You do want to be able to see at night, right?

The "cleanest" (and also most expensive) way to get HID in a Mini which came with Halogen is to go OEM.

Next best option IMHO, is to get a true HID projector and put it inside your existing oem halogen headlight. You'll need a heatgun, a dremmel, lots of patience. You'll need to open your halogens with the JoeyMod instructions. You'll need to add ballasts and I would recommend putting good relays in front of those.

Look around here: http://www.theretrofitsource.com
And here: http://www.hidplanet.com

BTW, if I had to do it again I may have opted for DENSO or BOSCH ballast instead of TRS ballast. -Mine are working fine, but the some have trouble in freezing temps. The DENSO ballast is OEM Toyota, they ignite the bulb on the first try in any temperature!

Old 08-13-2014, 09:15 AM
AlexQS
5th Gear
BTW, here's a True HID Projector made to go in your Amazon light:

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...l#.U-uMPXi9K0c

Old 08-13-2014, 10:14 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I can speak to adapting HID to aftermarket lamps...This is a pair of Sonar that I installed slim HID 55 watt in both high and low beam...works great...has the proper cut off shield to control low beam projection...

Old 08-13-2014, 10:42 AM
AlexQS
5th Gear
I wanted to retain the factory look as much as possible.

This is a Morimoto Mini H1 6.0 Bi-Xenon retrofitted into a face lifted OEM Halogen headlight assembly.

I really like the Bi-Xenon which was never offered on R53.
My high beams are awesome, when I turn on high beam, the xenon cutoff shield drops and the factory high beams come on too.

The light pattern of the H1 is pretty decent, keeping the brightest part of the light off in the distance. This control of the beam is important (especially on low beam) because too much light near the car constricts your pupils and limits your distance vision. Lexus and Honda S2000 projectors are known as they very best in this regard, but those would never fit inside our tiny MINI Cooper headlight assemblies.

Attached Thumbnails Projector Headlight Help!-image.jpg  
Old 08-13-2014, 10:45 AM
AlexQS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MSFITOY

I can speak to adapting HID to aftermarket lamps...This is a pair of Sonar that I installed slim HID 55 watt in both high and low beam...works great...has the proper cut off shield to control low beam projection...
Looks sharp, glad you like them