Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Rear main seal/Clutch issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 10:05 AM
Creeve
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rear main seal/Clutch issues

Well about two months ago I noticed my clutch starting to slip. Barely noticeable at first, only on hard 1-2 shifts. I contacted shops, got quotes and decided to try to wait for my tax return before getting anything done. Steadily the slipping got worse until two weeks ago where any shift that wasn't extremely gentle would slip.

Last week I got my return and I was going to call during my lunch break on Monday to make an appointment. However, on my drive in on Monday the clutch never slips. I have been waiting it out all week, expecting the slip to return. On thursday it was dry enough (still snowing consistently up here) I went out and did a bunch of redline 1-2-3 shifts and nothing.

I assume at this point that I have a leaking rear main seal. Its the only thing I can think of that would account for the situation, granted I'm no expert.

So at this point I am wondering...

A. Am I right about the rear main seal.
B. If it is the main seal. Considering I have about 80k on the car and the labor cost is the same anyway should I just do the main seal and clutch now and hopefully have it out of the way for the next ~100k?
C. I have also heard that it is recommended to replace the flywheel on the R56 whenever replacing the clutch. Considering the flywheel costs just about as much as the clutch + labor I am wondering how necessary it really is. I don't want to have to pay to have it opened up later just to do a flywheel replacement I was too cheap to do now.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:21 PM
11engine
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you seen oil on the floor, or under vehicle in the area of the bell housing? I don't think a oil contaminated clutch lining would fix itself. Most of the time oil leaking from the rear main seal gets blown away from the clutch assembly and being on the other side of the flywheel never comes in contact with the clutch lining. My guess is the clutch is just worn. Where in the pedal travel does your clutch engage? Near the floor or towards the top of the travel. If it is the latter the clutch lining is worn. Typically the need to replace the flywheel depends on the condition of the surface. The longer you allow your clutch to slip the more heat will be generated on the fly wheel surface causing hairline cracks and heat spots to develop which may cause the new clutch to chatter. The flywheel is dual mass and most machine shops are not equipped to resurface it. But it is worth calling around to see if it can be done.