Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 09:39 AM
Seesnax
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crankshaft Position Sensor Problem?

Hi all, and yes this is my first post here, but I just drove the car home over the weekend, and haven't had a chance yet to do a proper intro. Intro and pictures to come soon!

WARNING: I am a very wordy person, so this post is liable to get lengthy...

2005 MCS (6-speed), purchased in Boston, and driven back to northeastern Missouri on Saturday and Sunday (1350 miles, 20+ hours, and yes my wife thought this was crazy too....).

The first day (Saturday) was great, covering 500+ miles with absolutely no issues. Sunday morning, about 30 minutes into the drive, the SES and EML lights come on, kicking off the cruise control. Both lights went off about 3-4 seconds later, and I didn't have any more issues for 200+ more miles. Then it happened again, and again about 5 minutes later, both times only lasting a few seconds. I pulled off the interstate and shut it off and looked over whatever I could. When I restarted it, it was fine. An hour later it happened several more times, including putting the car in limp mode, the DCS light and TPMS lights coming on. I pulled onto the shoulder and shut it off again, and was able to restart it and limp to the next exit. I left it off for maybe 30 minutes or so, started it, and it seemed to be OK (ran fine and no dash lights) for another hour. It had a few more "hiccups", but nothing major. I found an AutoZone, and with no dash lights on, they read whatever the code is for crankshaft position sensor.

My main question for the experts here is: do the symptoms sound like a crankshaft position sensor? I have done some searching on here, and they also sound like the symptoms for a camsahft position sensor. I finally made it home, but realized that driving at 55-60 mph did not make the car stumble like driving at 70-75mph. The last two hours or so of the trip showed no faults or stumbles. Trip ended up taking 26 hours.

I plan to take it to a local AutoZone, maybe even today, to see if they can confirm the same code.

Searching on here, I see plenty of people with camshaft position sensor issues, and lots of people with crankshaft position sensor o-ring leaks, but very few with strictly crank. pos. sensor problems. Is this unusual?

I'm waiting for the dealer in Boston to call me back - if they agree to pay or fix the problem, then I will take it to a shop. If they tell me to get bent, I will be trying to fix this myself.

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated!

P.S. I am coming from a BMW 330Ci, and I love the MCS so far!

Old 04-25-2013, 06:21 PM
bmdouble
1st Gear
same here

My 03 mini s is having IDENTICAL problems like yours. I am a senior master ford tech.,not a mini tech but have had similar issues on fords with cam and crank sensors as culprits. I will get back with you when I find a solution.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:24 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Are all three lights on at the same time?

Old 04-25-2013, 07:48 PM
bmdouble
1st Gear
Sometimes mine has all 3 at same time,sometimes service eng. and EML. When it completely stalls out my tach will work when I crank it which in other vehicles means a good crank signal.I'll get it scanned tomorrow and go from there.So far I cleaned batt. terminals,tested charging system cleaned grounds and checked for wire chafing in engine compartment.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:54 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Seesnax

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated!
Was it happening when you were going to wide open throttle? If so, it may be the ByPass Valve. That was the problem with mine when it had those symptoms.

Crank position sensors typically leak (the seal goes south) but most don’t go bad unless it was replaced and the connector or wire was compromised.

///Rich

Old 04-27-2013, 01:01 AM
fr0mmagna
2nd Gear
Did Yoo get the battery tested ??

My MINI pulled a CKS failure in the rain, assuming the water had was interferring with the alternator and set the battery off charge for 20 seconds, since it was almost flood-like rain. ... Replaced the battery and never and issue again.

To resolve the issue at that time, the car stalled it self out in a tunnel ... Freeway tunnel... Fan freaking tastic !!! I had just put in neutral and it died. Just popped the clutch and finished out of the tunnel to a safe location... Light was off when I was parked.