Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Driver Left Drive Shaft Install Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 02:15 PM
scottwrightF1
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driver Left Drive Shaft Install Help

Hello,

I am having a hard time installing the new Driver Left Drive Shaft into the transmission Getrag 6 speed.

The shaft has a Lock Ring clip on the end of the splines and it a pain to get the shaft into the trans.

Anyone have any suggestion how I can install the shaft in without damaging it? I try winkling, pushing and forcing on it, but no luck.

Should I use a hammer? I know this won't be a good idea. Should I grind some material off the Lock Ring clip to help it slid in?

Let me know.

Thanks.

Old 03-10-2013, 04:13 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Are you sure you have the correct axle? do the splines match the old one?

Do not modify the lock ring.

If the axle is correct, put some lubrication on the splines, make sure you have them lined up properly, and if you need to... hit the end of the shaft with a hammer to bump it into place. But, protect the threads on the outer end by using a block of wood or a plastic dead blow hammer.

It will go in.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:04 PM
scottwrightF1
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MINIdave
Are you sure you have the correct axle? do the splines match the old one?

Do not modify the lock ring.

If the axle is correct, put some lubrication on the splines, make sure you have them lined up properly, and if you need to... hit the end of the shaft with a hammer to bump it into place. But, protect the threads on the outer end by using a block of wood or a plastic dead blow hammer.

It will go in.

Thanks for the response,

I have have checked the splines to be sure I have the correct one. I have tried all of your suggestions! No luck.

Looking at the Lock Ring now, it is 'marred' with all my efforts of installation.

I am thinking that maybe the Lock Ring is no longer smooth enough to ride over the splines?

I have thought of taking the Lock Ring off and flipping it around, so that I have a smooth surface on the ring and try installing it again.

I used a soft hammer and read on the internet not to use a "hammer" at all?

Any other suggestion?

Thanks.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:03 PM
scottwrightF1
2nd Gear
I have taken off the Lock Ring to try and fit in the drive shaft to see what it looks like. I have taken two pictures and does this look right? I have a feeling it not correct because the drive shaft needs to go further more in?

Please let me know.

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Driver Left Drive Shaft Install Help-img_5562.jpg   Driver Left Drive Shaft Install Help-img_5564.jpg  
Old 04-12-2013, 01:22 PM
scottwrightF1
2nd Gear
Hello,

I attempted to install the driver (left) shaft (Part #31607574852) into the differential, but I was unable to go past the beginning of the Lock Ring.

I suspected that the Lock Ring was the problem at the end of the shaft. To prove this to myself, I carefully removed the Lock Ring from the shaft and I attempted to reinstall the shaft again. The shaft would not go onto the splines in the differential.

On close examination of the shaft splines. I can see that the splines at the very end near the Lock Ring groove do not line up with the main splines on the shaft!

Mini of South Atlanta sent me a new shaft and I sent the damaged drive shaft back.

It worked out okay with the new shaft in the differential and the dust cover was fully close up to the transmission outside surface where it should be.

Here are the first three photo shows the damaged splines at the end.

Attached Thumbnails Driver Left Drive Shaft Install Help-img_5567.jpg   Driver Left Drive Shaft Install Help-img_5568.jpg   Driver Left Drive Shaft Install Help-img_5571.jpg  
Old 04-12-2013, 01:26 PM
scottwrightF1
2nd Gear
Here is another first photo of the damaged splines and the 2nd photo new drive shaft installed into the differential.

Attached Thumbnails Driver Left Drive Shaft Install Help-img_5574.jpg   Driver Left Drive Shaft Install Help-driver-shaft-correct-shaft.jpg  
Old 04-13-2013, 08:14 AM
jhiggs26
6th Gear
Ouch. Was that an OEM axle assembly with the offset splines? Glad it worked out for you.

Jeremy

Old 04-13-2013, 08:58 AM
scottwrightF1
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jhiggs26
Ouch. Was that an OEM axle assembly with the offset splines? Glad it worked out for you.

Jeremy
Yes, it was a used rebuilt axle and I assuming whoever rebuilt it didnt check the splines carefully at the end of it. I was struggling for awhile trying to get it in the differential. I am glad it done now.

Thanks.