Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Reverse Transmission Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013 | 02:53 PM
monorailengineer
|
Neutral
Reverse Transmission Issue

I have a 2013 Cooper S with automatic transmission. It only has 4k miles on it. Sometimes when I start the engine and put the car in reverse the engine feels like it just fell out of the car. It gives me a hard jolt (with a loud thud) then it lurches back a bit. Thank goodness my foot is on the brake pedal. It has done this 4 times since I've owned it but always the same scenario. I don't know what to do since it can't be duplicated. Anyone else ever had this problem?

Old 03-22-2013 | 03:29 PM
Rgoodwin
4th Gear
Parked on a incline or flat surface?

Old 03-22-2013 | 08:40 PM
CA94960
4th Gear
It's under warranty - take it to the dealer - get a free loaner while they repair it.

Old 03-22-2013 | 09:05 PM
boOst spIKe
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by monorailengineer
I have a 2013 Cooper S with automatic transmission. It only has 4k miles on it. Sometimes when I start the engine and put the car in reverse the engine feels like it just fell out of the car. It gives me a hard jolt (with a loud thud) then it lurches back a bit. Thank goodness my foot is on the brake pedal. It has done this 4 times since I've owned it but always the same scenario. I don't know what to do since it can't be duplicated. Anyone else ever had this problem?
Did you allow the service dept authorization to perform an extended or overnight road test in an attempt to replicate the issue? Also, does this happen intermittently, and if so does it happen at or only at cold starts (or first start/first shift of transmission of the day)? Did the dealer you have your vehicle serviced/inspected by par chance inspect fluid condition (not that your car at 4k miles should show signs of poor quality/conditioned fluid, but it may rear an ugly head like contamination due to a failing internal part)? Lastly, when it happens, what position are you in (shift selector) prior to reverse, does it only happen when you go from PARK - Reverse, or have you noticed it happening when going from other selections such as from DRIVE - Reverse? I would dare you to attempt to slow select specific Transmission operation positions (start with park, slowly go to reverse, then slowly into neutral, then slowly into drive going slowly back to park then back into reverse). Try seeing if you can replicate the jolt occurrence in more then just reverse.

Now, as for your issue (from the minor information provided), sounds like it could be a few things, potentially valve body related issue with specific shift solenoids/pressure valves. Seeing as its a 2013 you should have close to the most current integration level, and while I'm almost certain that your issue is non software related, it might be worth asking/requesting (politely) to have your vehicles Integration level brought to current with a complete vehicle encoding.

Really hard to point you in the right direction with the little info provided, but hopefully your dealership is able to solve your problem, or replicate your issue. Remember, just because the problem was unable to be replicated, doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist (even in the eyes of the dealer). Something to note and this may not make you feel great when I tell you this, but most of the time the technicians that deal with issues such as yours get paid next to nothing to attempt to replicate your issue. Knowing this, you have to understand that intermittent issues can be a techs worst nightmare as they (well most technicians) want to solve or attempt to solve your problem, but knowing the efforts and time it may take to do so will bury them hours into a job that will pay them less then what is put in (in terms of diagnostic work, test driving, replication attempts).

Keep us updated, and let us know what you find out, as well as any further information that can be provided to better help you help them help you.

Old 03-22-2013 | 09:57 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
If you start the car and immediately put it in reverse without letting the engine stabilize it'll do that. Are you letting the engine stabilize a few seconds before shifting?

Old 03-25-2013 | 08:43 AM
monorailengineer
|
Neutral
I can say that every time it has happened it has been on a flat surface. Also, It has always been from the start of the engine going from Park to Reverse. I want to take it in to the dealer but I know they are going to say, "Sorry, we couldn't duplicate the problem." I don't blame them, it has only happened to me 4 times in the last 4 months. What are the odds of it happening to them while at the dealership.

Last edited by monorailengineer; 03-25-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-25-2013 | 10:08 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
By complaining, you are documenting the issues....so even if they cannot duplicate the event, if the tranny falls out/fails, maybe even just out of warrenty, you have a better chance of getting fixed, maybe for free.

Old 03-25-2013 | 12:51 PM
monorailengineer
|
Neutral
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
By complaining, you are documenting the issues....so even if they cannot duplicate the event, if the tranny falls out/fails, maybe even just out of warrenty, you have a better chance of getting fixed, maybe for free.

Good point!

Old 03-25-2013 | 12:55 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
I would be suspicious of motor mounts with a noise description like that. With my car, if I put it in reverse before the engine idles down, it lurches backwards quickly, but never a jolt or thud. Clunk sounds I would look into broken suspension components or brakes, but a thud description seems heavier.

Old 03-25-2013 | 02:52 PM
monorailengineer
|
Neutral
It's so upsetting. This is my first BMW/Mini and having to deal with something like this is really disappointing.

Old 03-26-2013 | 09:37 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
All you can do is take it in to be looked at. Won't get fixed by just hoping it'll go away.