Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Coolant leak - what part is this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 11:12 PM
jerrylee
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant leak - what part is this?

2004 Mini Cooper, base model, 84k miles.

I just topped off the coolant and bled the system, but on the test drive, I pop out and notice this leak. I don't have jack stands, so I'm not in a good spot to really dig in and figure out what's happening, but I did manage to snap two pictures. Can anyone identify what hose that is which is dripping coolant? It looks strange to me - it doesn't appear to be broken, the lines are much too smooth, it's simply... hanging there. It doesn't look right, that's for sure. That was my first hint - second was that it's dripping coolant, duh.

This is located in the center of the car, as far as left-right goes, and towards the back of the engine. (Edit: Clarification, it is far enough back that I can not clearly see it through the engine bay. I placed a light source under the car just next to the puddle - when I try to view that light through the engine bay, it is too far back to see. I can see the light, but I can't put eyes on the source. This is probably self-evident from the photo, as it is behind the front wheels.

Anyone please, what is this that is dripping coolant from my engine and scaring the bejeesus out of me please?

Attached Thumbnails Coolant leak - what part is this?-drip1.jpg   Coolant leak - what part is this?-drip2.jpg  

Last edited by jerrylee; 03-22-2013 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:14 AM
r34king
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A/c drain hose. Its supposed to do that. Looks like water not coolant

Old 03-23-2013, 11:40 AM
jerrylee
Neutral
Wow is it really? Oy, thanks for putting my mind at ease about that, but that complicates things since at the end of my test drive last night, it was overheating a bit. Siiiiiigh. Gotta figure out why it's overheating.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:44 AM
fr0mmagna
2nd Gear
When you bled the system did you have the heater on ??

Old 03-23-2013, 11:54 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
It can take 2 or 3 bleeds to get it right....the bubbles can be a pain to get out.
Generally i find it takes a bunch of extra coolant, BOTH bleed ports (i think on a base)alternating open, a couple drives to get the air out....then hose the bay down to get rid of the dripped coolant/smell.
Both the cooper and the s can be a pain to bleed....even pro's dealers have issues, and sometimes use vacume bleeders....

Old 03-23-2013, 12:12 PM
jerrylee
Neutral
Yeah, I had read a bunch before I did it and one thing I saw was to make sure the heater was on, so no problems there. However, I did only bleed it the one time, so maybe that's all it is, a little air sneaking in there. That would be a huge relief! I'll bleed it a bit more this evening and see where it's at.

When I am topping it off, should I just be using the expansion tank or should I be going right through the filler cap? My concern at this point is that I filled it yesterday, a little air got in, but I'm going to open up the filler cap and whoosh, more air, kinda defeating my progress.