Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Mold or mildew smell in defrost mode?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 09:36 AM
julesagogo
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mold or mildew smell in defrost mode?

I have a 2010 MC that I bought new 10/2010 - it smells strongly of mold when I hit the front defrost air blast button (winter, summer - whenever I need to clear interior fog).

I mentioned it at the last service and they exchanged my mold smell for a much worse baby-powder-on-steroids smell. That's thankfully gone, but now the mold smell is back.

Is there a technical bulletin or non-smelly solution for this problem? I'm allergic to mold and have noticed that while I don't smell it when just the heat or a/c is running normally, I've had more low-key sinus/eye issues since I bought the car.

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-27-2013, 09:47 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
Have you changed the cabin filter? You can try this http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...14922|L2*15020

Old 03-27-2013, 09:58 AM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd start with Braminator's suggestion and change the filter first. Then I'd follow up with 1Z Einszett Klima-Cleaner. You can find it at Autoality.com or Detailersdomain.com. You basically just run your climate control on high and place a can of this cleaner near the footwell air intake for the climate system. Open the can and it gets drawn in and cleans the ventilation system.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:08 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I third the recommendations of both using the air disinfectant spray and replacing the cabin filter. You can order a filter from ECS Tuning or get from your dealer and pop it in.

My MINI (and a couple of other cars) were suffering from this bad smell and the spray took care of it.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:29 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,091 Likes on 1,865 Posts
+1 on the cabin filter. Once you get the old one out inspect the cabin box and make sure there is nothing else in there. Then give is a good spray.

Recommend the active carbon cabin filter after you are done.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/64319127516/

Thanks

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-27-2013, 11:57 AM
julesagogo
1st Gear
Thanks guys! I looked over my July invoice and they replaced the cabin microfilter, ran Valvoline Heat & A/C cleaner into evaporator in two 10-minute segments, then used a "special" Valvoline deodorizing formula inside the intake vents. I called and the tech suggested BG as an evaporator cleaner.

I found a video showing how easy it is to replace the filter: youtu.be/Y63iLutLNzY but am still searching for the thorough cleaning method for the evaporator. The tech said the water that comes out is black and disgusting, so I'd like to try cleaning that without a deodorizer smell. Any ideas? I am somewhat mechanically inclined.

The reviews online for the Interdynamics product aren't great, but I'd try a well-reviewed easy-to-use product if I could find it.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:56 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by julesagogo
Thanks guys! I looked over my July invoice and they replaced the cabin microfilter, ran Valvoline Heat & A/C cleaner into evaporator in two 10-minute segments, then used a "special" Valvoline deodorizing formula inside the intake vents. I called and the tech suggested BG as an evaporator cleaner.

I found a video showing how easy it is to replace the filter: youtu.be/Y63iLutLNzY but am still searching for the thorough cleaning method for the evaporator. The tech said the water that comes out is black and disgusting, so I'd like to try cleaning that without a deodorizer smell. Any ideas? I am somewhat mechanically inclined.

The reviews online for the Interdynamics product aren't great, but I'd try a well-reviewed easy-to-use product if I could find it.
I still think you won't find an easier one to use than Klima clean. The system does a the work and is automatically drawn in. You just open the can and leave it. The sprays will only reach so far and to really clean it you would have to run the hvac while spraying and suffer ingesting the cleaner. Just my $.02.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:24 AM
krim
5th Gear
I had that dirty sock smell whenever the fans ran. The dealer changed the CAF when maint. was still valid and it didn't go away. Went back, and the dealer did a cleaning of the ducting. Not sure what they used, but they had to drill a small hole for injection. IIRC, it was a $70 service, which was waved under the maint program.