Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Steering hum is driving me craz(y)(ier)...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 10:49 AM
caryn.lindsay
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering hum is driving me craz(y)(ier)...

I know I need to go to the mechanic...

But there is a hum coming from my steering. I know its the steering because if I am in park and I move the wheel, the hum almost cuts out but then comes right back. I haven't had any problems with the power steering while driving, but last June I had the high pressure main power steering line replaced. Is it possible I need to replace it again?? Uggghhhhhh...

Only 11 more payments and she's all mine! We've been together for four years and I wouldn't trader her for the world!

2006 Cooper Convertible

Old 03-29-2013, 11:18 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!
Gen1 MINI's have the electric motor that can make a bit of a hum...but it sounds like you are saying it might have gotten a bit louder recently. If this is the case I would check 2 things....

1) check the PS fluid level....if there is a leak, it will be low...be sure to ONLY add Petrosin PS flud (Pentosin CHF 11s actually).....it is different from the typical stuff sold auto-stores, MINI dealers stock it, most VW dealers do, and some BIGGER auto parts stores will have it...or order it online...http://www.waymotorworks.com/chf-11s...ing-fluid.html

2) Check the PS cooling FAN..living in the NE it tends to get gummed up with sand and grit...fails or gets stuck, and MIGHT cost you a $600+ ps PUMP. it is an easy thing to check when you get an oil change if the shop or you know what to look for!!

If crawling under your car is not something you want to do/can do/or have the equipment to do....a good MINI centric shop (Independent shop that specializes in MINI repair for a LARGE portion of their work is a great place to go and save BIG $$.

I'm up in NH on the mass state line....
what I have been doing since my car is out of warranty/non-dealer warranty work is going to Greasy's out in Worcester,MA, about an hours drive for me...well worth it from a $$ perspective since their labor rates a so much lower, so for me it has always been worth the drive!!http://www.greasysgarage.com/main/

Last edited by ZippyNH; 03-29-2013 at 11:39 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-29-2013, 11:33 AM
caryn.lindsay
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ohh, thank you! I will come on and read the forums from time to time but I have never joined/posted before.

And thank you for the reply!

So yes, this noise just appeared over the past month. I've had my Mini for four years and this is not a noise she was making before. I was trying to find where the hell the power steering fluid reservoir is, but I couldn't find it. I should probably google it and check it out. Also, I should definitely check the fan. I will have to find out where that is too! I can do basic car stuff and I'm pretty in tune with knowing when something is wrong with my car, but that's the most of it. I'm trying to avoid taking it to my mechanic and being without the car all day if its something as simple as I need fluid.

Everyone on here seems so helpful and has some really good information. I'm glad I finally joined and posted!