Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Advice before buying 2010 Cooper s

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 08:40 AM
trombl76
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice before buying 2010 Cooper s

I have a few questions before i buy a 2010 Cooper S. I'm new to this site so hopefully i posted to the correct location

Question:

2010 Cooper S with 36k on the clock. The carfax shows 3 things that concern me.

Brought to dealer with 12k on the clock for intake manifold gasket repair / replacement at the same time the compression on the block was checked

brought back to the same dealer for another intake manifold gasket repair / replacement with 29k on the clock

timing chain tensioner/guide replaced at 29 k as well - this item is of less concern as this seems like normal maintenance or a one off issue.

In regards to the intake manifold would you pass on the car or take your chances. Reading some sites, looks like mini had issues with the gaskets and released a new version, not sure if this is true or not.

Any feedback and or things to look out for would be much appreciated

Old 04-02-2013, 09:00 AM
minibx
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if the dealer where this car was service it's near you I would go there and ask for a complete printout of the service done up to this date, CARFAX will show some service done but not all even if it shows on the car fax I'm sure that they did something else on the same service ticket that won't show on the CARFAX. I did this with my car and I'm glad I did. Ask nicely since they are not obligated to give it to you, if you are not near the dealer call them it's very helpful to have this info plus some dealers could honor warranty on work done by the PO, i did in my case. Good luck

Old 04-02-2013, 12:04 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Intake manifold gasket could be from taking it apart to do the carbon cleaning. I think...

Old 04-02-2013, 12:27 PM
IzzyG
6th Gear
The timing chain isn't always a one-off. In fact, sometimes it could be repetitive nightmare for some. And it's not a "maintenance" item, unless you're fine with a $1800 replacement every 20-30k miles :/

Old 04-02-2013, 12:53 PM
trombl76
Neutral
I called a local dealer and boy im glad

car had carbon issue, valve issue, reported loss on cyl #1. I can see why the guy dumped this on a trade in. there were a good three pages of stuff done to this car, more time at the dealer then on the road, sad for only 36k.

Few more questions, as i have a few other i'm looking at

carbon issue seems to be widely reported with 07 +, 06 below do not seem to have this problem, is this a result of going to a turbo?

Also the time belt issue, pointed out, looks like mini is covering this as it was a major issue? or is that internet bs and its on a per car basis?

Lastly, anyone not have carbon issue, or is there something to help prevent it? All i read are the bad new's about mini's online, but i'm sure there are more + mini owners otherwise mini would not be around. Any advice or yrs to stay away from

Old 04-02-2013, 01:07 PM
IzzyG
6th Gear
1. Carbon build up is due to the direct-injected nature of the 2nd gen engines.

2. Timing chain is only covered while under warranty. Sometimes you can get the dealer to cover it pro bono beyond the warranty but this isn't the norm and really depends on the dealer(and usually it's free labor, but not parts).

3. Having spoken to the main service advisors from the local MINI dealers, it seems they've only performed a handful of carbon cleaning(walnut blasting) and even lesser diagnostics requiring it. Not sure how this correlates to actual number of MINIs needing it though. I can't really tell you how prevalent it is.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:11 PM
ljmattox
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
...only thing I'd add would be:

a. the carbon cleaning thing will continue to get some play, and not just with MINIs. Many/most manufacturer's engines with direct injection are encountering the carbon deposit issue since all have the design of no fuel "washing" the back side of the intake valves as engines did formerly. Google "carbon build up direct injection" yields a who's who of brands with owners asking for help with the problem.

b. lots of traffic on this forum on using catch cans to help trap oil / sediment / cr@p out of the PCV stream before it can solidify on the back of the valves. MINI changed the PCV / hose routing / something recently ('11 model?) to help with this also. You'll read back/forth on what helps/doesn't.

It seems like carbon-removal service will be SOP for many cars as they accumulate miles and build up.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:22 PM
CarlosDMotor
4th Gear
Originally Posted by trombl76
I called a local dealer and boy im glad

car had carbon issue, valve issue, reported loss on cyl #1. I can see why the guy dumped this on a trade in. there were a good three pages of stuff done to this car, more time at the dealer then on the road, sad for only 36k.

Few more questions, as i have a few other i'm looking at

carbon issue seems to be widely reported with 07 +, 06 below do not seem to have this problem, is this a result of going to a turbo?

Also the time belt issue, pointed out, looks like mini is covering this as it was a major issue? or is that internet bs and its on a per car basis?

Lastly, anyone not have carbon issue, or is there something to help prevent it? All i read are the bad new's about mini's online, but i'm sure there are more + mini owners otherwise mini would not be around. Any advice or yrs to stay away from
Carbon issue is because of the direct injection. You can do water/meth injection to stop it, and an oil catch can might do some good