Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Key fob or serious issue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013 | 08:38 PM
mimaal
|
1st Gear
Key fob or serious issue?

I recently bought a 2007 Mini used with 62k miles on it. Everything seemed fine except the key.

I'm 'lucky' enough to have one of the keyless-but-not-really remote keys.
Originally the fob just wouldn't eject from the slot with out some serious jiggling and pushing. Then it wouldn't eject at all, or would eject but leave the car still running. Eventually i just resorted to pulling the key out and turning it off with the button.

Now it's decided to give me a wondrous new problem where putting the key in does nothing at all. i can jiggle it, push it, anything, but it will not light up my dash or turn on the radio.

It's not the battery in the car, because i can manually turn on the radio and such, and it's not the key battery because i can still unlock/lock my car and pop the trunk.
The only fix I've managed to find for this is holding down the button for about 20 seconds until the car just turns on by itself; which is problematic because the key doesn't even need to be in the slot for it to turn on.

Is this a problem anyone else is having or has had? and is there an easier fix than replacing the whole slot?

Old 04-04-2013 | 09:00 PM
boOst spIKe
3rd Gear
Replace Starter/Stop Switch. Very common failure for 2007 MCS.

Old 04-05-2013 | 08:02 AM
mimaal
|
1st Gear
Where is the starter/stop switch? it that located behind where you would insert your key?

Old 04-05-2013 | 08:19 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Where is the starter/stop switch? it that located behind where you would insert your key?
First welcome aboard. Here is where the keyfob goes and notice the starter button. Can you post some pics of your MINI?

Old 04-05-2013 | 08:36 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
+1 sounds like it is shot.

Here is the part.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/61359299332/

Thanks

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 04-05-2013 | 10:19 PM
mimaal
|
1st Gear
the start button works perfectly, the other part is whats messing up i think. It wont even register that the key has been inserted at all, even though the battery in the keyfob is new and fully charged

Old 04-05-2013 | 10:20 PM
mimaal
|
1st Gear
and what pictures would you like?

Old 04-06-2013 | 10:12 AM
Chimera
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mimaal
the start button works perfectly, the other part is whats messing up i think. It wont even register that the key has been inserted at all, even though the battery in the keyfob is new and fully charged
What are you expecting the key fob to do? If the start/stop button works then the fob is being recognized by the car. Do you have comfort access (little black button on the door exterior door handle)? If so the fob doesn't have to be in the holder at all and the holder doesn't do anything. The fob just has to be in the car, step on the clutch (or brake if its an auto box) and hold the start button.

Old 04-07-2013 | 02:02 PM
mimaal
|
1st Gear
When the key is inserted its supposed to light the dash up and turn on the radio. Mine does not

Old 04-07-2013 | 02:17 PM
Kirby11
5th Gear
When the key is inserted its supposed to light the dash up and turn on the radio. Mine does not
When I put my fob in the slot mine doesn't do anything until I hit the start button. I think inserting the fob is akin to putting a standard key in a slot but not turning the key.

Your first post has me confused. When you shut the car off are you hitting the 'start' (off) button first or pulling the fob out while the engine is running?

Old 04-07-2013 | 02:17 PM
boOst spIKe
3rd Gear
You can either take my (and other members that have chimed in) advice, or you can continue to try and convince yourself that your problem is bigger then it really is, honestly Its up to you.

Your description is spot on for a failure to the Start/Stop switch. But hey, what do I know...

If your concerned @ difficulty of replacement, I can assure you it will be one of the easiest installs you've every performed and if you want I can PM you instructions on how to remove and replace it.

Old 04-08-2013 | 08:46 AM
mimaal
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Kirby11
When I put my fob in the slot mine doesn't do anything until I hit the start button. I think inserting the fob is akin to putting a standard key in a slot but not turning the key.

Your first post has me confused. When you shut the car off are you hitting the 'start' (off) button first or pulling the fob out while the engine is running?
In the owners manual it says it is supposed to, and mine used to but now it doesn't.

Old 04-08-2013 | 08:48 AM
mimaal
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Kirby11

In the owners manual it says it is supposed to, and mine used to but now it doesn't.
& i hit the button then take the key out then hit the button again.
What im worried about is the fact that my car can be turned on by anyone just by holding the start button for 30 seconds with or without key

Old 04-08-2013 | 08:52 AM
Chimera
5th Gear
I checked this morning on my 09 with comfort access. Putting the fob in the slot does indeed turn on the radio, but it's not something I've ever done (or will likely ever need to do) because the keys never leave my pocket.

Old 04-08-2013 | 08:52 AM
mimaal
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by boOst spIKe
You can either take my (and other members that have chimed in) advice, or you can continue to try and convince yourself that your problem is bigger then it really is, honestly Its up to you.

Your description is spot on for a failure to the Start/Stop switch. But hey, what do I know...

If your concerned @ difficulty of replacement, I can assure you it will be one of the easiest installs you've every performed and if you want I can PM you instructions on how to remove and replace it.
Terribly sorry for not believing the first random post in this thread and asking more questions. My mistake.

Old 04-08-2013 | 08:55 AM
mimaal
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Chimera
I checked this morning on my 09 with comfort access. Putting the fob in the slot does indeed turn on the radio, but it's not something I've ever done (or will likely ever need to do) because the keys never leave my pocket.
Yeah everything I've looked at says its supposed to, wish i had that comfort access, my key is no better than a regular key