Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

How do I program options?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 04:46 PM
Beermaestro
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I program options?

Maybe I am inept; maybe it isn't possible. But I've read about the options that can be programmed (locking, unlocking, etc.), but cannot find out how to do it. The car is a 2006 R50. I just want to be able to turn off the 'feature' that locks the doors on take off--that kind of thing.
Did a search... couldn't find any answers. Any help?
Jack

Old 04-06-2013, 04:51 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
Welcome aboard. We need pics of your MINI before we can help you out. Just kidding. Here is a link that will help you understand what needs to be done
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...e-options.html

Old 04-06-2013, 04:53 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
Also vendors Like Way Motor Works can do it for you. He will be at the dragon offering this service, contact him.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:15 PM
scf
5th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
You can also get creative by reading ALOT about NCS Expert:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...onal-info.html

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...de-add-in.html

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...beginners.html

You'll need to download the files, and purchase a cable. Read thoroughly all you can, and be sure you understand what you've read, BEFORE you try anything. You can effectively kill your Mini with even a small mistake.

The locking didn't bother me, as a matter of fact I don't mind it. It was that I had to unlock the doors, or double pull the handle to get out. Turned on the autounlock when ignition off, and voila! Also did a few other things.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:07 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 123 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by scf
Read thoroughly all you can, and be sure you understand what you've read, BEFORE you try anything. You can effectively kill your Mini with even a small mistake.
And with that, I think it's crazy to recommend NCS Expert to a MINI novice.

For a 2006, go to a dealer and ask them to update your options. They will probably charge about a half hour of labor. Some independent shops like Way Motor Works can also do the update. On newer models of MINI, many options can be directly updated by the owner, but not a 2006.

NCS Expert is essentially the computer software used by dealers to update the car's software. MINI hobbyists and enthusiasts have learned to install and use it. It requires a high degree of technical competence, and there is a very real risk of damaging your car if you do something wrong.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:43 PM
scf
5th Gear
Likely VERY good advice. I was just answering his intended question. It's NOT for the feint of heart by any stretch of the imagination. I easily had 60-70 hours of just investigation, and research before I even ordered the cable. Held off ordering the cable because I just KNEW I'd try it before I really had even a glimmer of understanding.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:17 PM
Beermaestro
1st Gear
Well, I appreciate the information. Obviously, I'll have a decision to make. My expertise does run to jail breaking my kindle, but I don't even own a laptop.

I come from a driver's perspective, and I find the car quite amazing without all the electronics. But I also come from a DIY way of doing things, and control over these options is something I think I ought to have.

You all make it sound like it's Mission Impossible and if I cut the wrong wire I'll never see Duluth again. Maybe so. But it would irk me extremely to have to pay someone to program the car not to lock its doors when starting out.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:04 AM
scf
5th Gear
Without a laptop, it cannot be done. Cable for car is only 3' long.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:09 AM
Beermaestro
1st Gear
Originally Posted by scf
Without a laptop, it cannot be done. Cable for car is only 3' long.
It can't be done with one of the wifi devices? My desktop runs XP...

Old 04-07-2013, 10:15 AM
Densmini
3rd Gear
There are Wi-Fi plugs that go into the OBD port. However, I think they are only OBD2 specific, not enabled for the INPA/Ediabas, etc. I.e., I don't think they will work.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:29 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 123 Likes on 108 Posts
I wouldn't use anything less than a hardwire connection. If there is any timing or communications issue, the potential consequences are too serious.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:56 PM
scf
5th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
I wouldn't use anything less than a hardwire connection. If there is any timing or communications issue, the potential consequences are too serious.
Exactly.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:10 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by rkw
Yup...
A bricked kindle or I-phone is one thing...
A bricked car is in another class entirely!!

Old 04-07-2013, 10:56 PM
Beermaestro
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH

Yup...
A bricked kindle or I-phone is one thing...
A bricked car is in another class entirely!!
Okay, okay. I give up. I think. For now anyway.

Thanks to everybody who chimed in. It wasn't what I wanted to hear, but hear it I have.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:17 AM
scf
5th Gear
Talk to you local dealer, see how much to program. Talk to any within driving distance, as they can vary in price.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:07 AM
Beermaestro
1st Gear
I have decided to do this. I've ordered a cable:

Amazon.com: SainSpeed K+D CAN USB Interface OBD2 Cable Diagnostic Scanner for BMW only: Electronics Amazon.com: SainSpeed K+D CAN USB Interface OBD2 Cable Diagnostic Scanner for BMW only: Electronics

(can someone confirm it should work?) and I've been reading my eyes red. I must say with all due respect that some of the dire warnings are a bit over the top. If one proceeds carefully, backs up judiciously, follows carefully in the footsteps of others, I think it would be pretty hard to brick one's car.

Besides living 80 miles from the nearest MINI dealer, I want to have access to my car's programming. Simple as that. Frankly, I'll take the crowd sourcing of this community over a tech at the dealer who may or may not be expert in this stuff.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:02 PM
KMalinich
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check out my thread

I'm not trying to be a ****, but if you understand the thread, then you'll be fine. If there's parts you don't get, I can lend a little bit of help, but it requires a lot of technical know-how.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:35 AM
Beermaestro
1st Gear
Originally Posted by KMalinich
Check out my thread

I'm not trying to be a ****, but if you understand the thread, then you'll be fine. If there's parts you don't get, I can lend a little bit of help, but it requires a lot of technical know-how.
Never thought you were a *****.
Okay, got my little system up and running and this morning turned off my DRL and the autolock on startoff (hooray). But there are some other things I'd like to do and I'm having a hard time finding information specific to my car (R50). The spreadsheet seems a little scanty and it seems to be just for 2nd Gen cars. Is there somewhere a clearinghouse of programming options for 1st Gen cars?
Also, here's a list of modules I see when I read my ecu... does this look right?
ABG
BC1
EMS
EWS
KMB
MK60
RAD
RIP
SHD

Old 05-20-2013, 02:15 PM
KMalinich
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Beermaestro

Never thought you were a *****.
Okay, got my little system up and running and this morning turned off my DRL and the autolock on startoff (hooray). But there are some other things I'd like to do and I'm having a hard time finding information specific to my car (R50). The spreadsheet seems a little scanty and it seems to be just for 2nd Gen cars. Is there somewhere a clearinghouse of programming options for 1st Gen cars?
Also, here's a list of modules I see when I read my ecu... does this look right?
ABG
BC1
EMS
EWS
KMB
MK60
RAD
RIP
SHD
Yeah, that all looks right.. Try using NCSDummy, it'll translate things for you.

The spreadsheet available is definitely for 07-up.. Most of it doesn't really correspond.

What I did (I don't really recommend this, but hey) was I used Google Translate to translate over from German to English, you can kind of get a feel for what it's trying to say

Old 05-20-2013, 02:26 PM
Beermaestro
1st Gear
Yes, I'm going to have a go at Dummy. Maybe it's me, but its learning curve seems steeper than NCSexpert's.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:56 PM
KMalinich
2nd Gear
The whole idea of NCSDummy is for it to read the file that NCSExpert creates.. And it can make the changes (in English) and write them back to the file, and then you use NCSExpert to write them to the car.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:13 PM
Beermaestro
1st Gear
yeah, I had that worked out. What I'd missed was the instruction to jot down the version of the module I was modding--once I did that it all fell into place. I did a little more exploring in BC1 and got auto up on the driver's side.