Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

How do I remove the water tube?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016 | 07:56 PM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Not sure of the exact number. But if it ran before it'll run again. Take your time and be very methodical and check every electrical plug you had off. Re step your steps for dis assembly and reassembly. You'll get it.
When you do, to bleed the air, just squeeze all the hoses. Let it run for about 5 minutes so it starts to get hot. Keep the tank full. After 5 min, shut it off, let it sit for a minute, look around a check stuff. Then start it and fill and squeeze hoses. You'll see the bubbles comes up the tank. Do it a couple times. I didn't the first time and it overheated. It seems shutting it off helps burp the air.

Old 01-13-2016 | 08:09 PM
[My_Mini]
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by SPRINTCARS
Not sure of the exact number. But if it ran before it'll run again. Take your time and be very methodical and check every electrical plug you had off. Re step your steps for dis assembly and reassembly. You'll get it.
When you do, to bleed the air, just squeeze all the hoses. Let it run for about 5 minutes so it starts to get hot. Keep the tank full. After 5 min, shut it off, let it sit for a minute, look around a check stuff. Then start it and fill and squeeze hoses. You'll see the bubbles comes up the tank. Do it a couple times. I didn't the first time and it overheated. It seems shutting it off helps burp the air.
I tried to switch the two cables that look similar, the thermostat sensor plug and the plug from the turbocharger but one doesn't fit the other, so I had to keep it as how I first plugged it :/...now it looks like the battery is low, even though I did unplug the battery before working on the car. I did end up massaging the pipe and I ended up putting more coolant, so I guess that it's good the coolant was sinking into the pipes. Any other suggestions? I'll try to turn the car on again, since I'm recharging the battery now.

Old 01-14-2016 | 06:23 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yea, should look like these, what does you thermostat housing, connection looks like:

Also make sure when you pulled that wire loom for the main harness out of the way for the thermostat , that you did not pull the plugs out of the harness or catch on of the wire on the metal , like on the HPFP of somewhere else sharp.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-14-2016 | 03:06 PM
[My_Mini]
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Yea, should look like these, what does you thermostat housing, connection looks like:

Also make sure when you pulled that wire loom for the main harness out of the way for the thermostat , that you did not pull the plugs out of the harness or catch on of the wire on the metal , like on the HPFP of somewhere else sharp.
So I removed some parts to show you, I only disconnected cables and this was how it looked like

So only 6 plugs were disconnected, I pulled the center upward a bit to give me access to the thermostat when I was replacing it. What else should I check, or tell me what I can take a picture of to insure everything is in its place

This comes up when I put the key in and turn on the car, also the top light inside is dim. I'm going to change the battery and see if that can be the issue

Last edited by [My_Mini]; 01-14-2016 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-14-2016 | 06:25 PM
[My_Mini]
2nd Gear

Ok so I was able to turn on the car, fortunately 😅, but now this comes up, why isn't it reading the temperature?

Old 01-15-2016 | 06:40 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
So everything is plugged back in and you have no faults, just reading the thermostat temp in celceuis, thats the computer.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-15-2016 | 07:50 AM
[My_Mini]
2nd Gear
So everything is plugged back in and you have no faults, just reading the thermostat temp in celceuis, thats the computer.
Thanks so much guys! The car is running nicely now! And reading the temp at where it should be 👍 Appreciate all your help!

Old 01-15-2016 | 08:05 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Originally Posted by [My_Mini]
Thanks so much guys! The car is running nicely now! And reading the temp at where it should be 👍 Appreciate all your help!

Awesome, you are welcome.

Old 01-18-2016 | 05:00 PM
[My_Mini]
2nd Gear
Awesome, you are welcome.
So I know I did all this work with the changing of the thermostat. Now I have another little problem. My car threw 2 new codes, P0706, P2178, and I guess it deals with the transmission, because while I was changing from park to reverse, The gear symbol popped up on the odometer, but then the car started to drive fine, this was just yesterday. Today, I just wanted to move the car to a different spot and once again, I changed it from park to reverse, then drive, and it didn't want to accelerate. Later, I had to run some errands but just by driving a block away from my house, the car started to slow down, and then smoke started to come out from the front, like it was over heating, but it wasn't (i think) so I had to quickly drive back home, and now im stuck with this problem. what do you guys think it is? I hope to fix this issue now, since I need this car for school
Thanks!

Old 01-19-2016 | 04:55 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Did you drop anything near the top transmission cables, they set right below the thermostat , and set on top of the transmission,. Also make sure there is nothing in there way. They have to be clear to shift. I bet wire or somthing is hanging down and looping the main cable. And posbbliy when you pushed treally hard to shift the car into drive you pulled on that cable which might have cuased the P codes and the car to smoke / overheat. Please go over that whole section under the thermostat again.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=25_0448

#1 section

Old 01-19-2016 | 11:11 AM
[My_Mini]
2nd Gear
Did you drop anything near the top transmission cables, they set right below the thermostat , and set on top of the transmission,. Also make sure there is nothing in there way. They have to be clear to shift. I bet wire or somthing is hanging down and looping the main cable. And posbbliy when you pushed treally hard to shift the car into drive you pulled on that cable which might have cuased the P codes and the car to smoke / overheat. Please go over that whole section under the thermostat again.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=25_0448

#1 section

Thanks, I'll look into that again. Do you think that the transmission oil has anything to do with this?

Old 01-19-2016 | 11:20 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Not unless its low on trans oil or very dirty from a clogged transfilter. Do you have a leak ? I would suspect if it drove fine before , you caught cable on it. Which then caused the CEL

MINI DTC P2178 (0x2746 or 0x274E or 0x2BC1) - Fuel Trim Limit Exceeded: System Too Rich Vacuum leak or you again had a wire come loose.

p0706 transmission range sensor , this could be the jamming of the shifter into drive and park by force because of a blocked cable or the shiftier base selector is erroring

I would go over that thermo area again for sure. See if the cable comes close to anything you put back, and that no wire harness plug or cables are pulled. then let me know what you find.

Old 01-19-2016 | 12:00 PM
tag1260
4th Gear
While we're on the subject of the water tube, does anyone know if the O-rings for the water tube and the thermostat are the same? I know they have different part numbers but are they really different? After replacing my both ends, water tube and thermostat, I have a little leak off of the water pump end. I'm getting both again but really just wonder if there is a size difference. Could I have gotten them mixed up?
Thanks

Old 01-19-2016 | 12:15 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Water pipe o ring to water pump : measure them.
11537548651 35.0 X 3.35MM

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Sit...h/11537548651/

&

11518613804 No size given

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Sit...h/11518613804/

You have that one as a base line. 11537548651
The other one looks close but think its thicker and smaller.

Old 01-19-2016 | 01:45 PM
[My_Mini]
2nd Gear
Not unless its low on trans oil or very dirty from a clogged transfilter. Do you have a leak ? I would suspect if it drove fine before , you caught cable on it. Which then caused the CEL

MINI DTC P2178 (0x2746 or 0x274E or 0x2BC1) - Fuel Trim Limit Exceeded: System Too Rich Vacuum leak or you again had a wire come loose.

p0706 transmission range sensor , this could be the jamming of the shifter into drive and park by force because of a blocked cable or the shiftier base selector is erroring

I would go over that thermo area again for sure. See if the cable comes close to anything you put back, and that no wire harness plug or cables are pulled. then let me know what you find.
So for the vacuum leak code I noticed that the hose on the tip of the vacuum pump was a bit close to coming off so that was one. The hose is tightly pulled so here's a pic from how it's position should be over or under that thermostat hose in the back? Also, I'm trying to see if anything is not positioned correctly, do you see anything to point out on the pic to position correctly?

Old 01-19-2016 | 01:57 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Thanks for the pics.

Its not the cable wire right above it then. Did you try moving the shifter again.

The one point on the shifter cable is mount to the tranmission, ( does not move,) the other point that moves is farther in the front and I want to make sure that not hitting anything, its moves around.

This area up here , ^^^ nothing blocking it from moving ?

Old 01-19-2016 | 02:26 PM
[My_Mini]
2nd Gear
Thanks for the pics.

Its not the cable wire right above it then. Did you try moving the shifter again.

The one point on the shifter cable is mount to the tranmission, ( does not move,) the other point that moves is farther in the front and I want to make sure that not hitting anything, its moves around.

This area up here , ^^^ nothing blocking it from moving ?
No problem,It looks pretty clear, I'll show more pics.

About this vacuum line, is it suppose to go over or under? Because the line connecting the to vacuum pump seems very tense. I've been trying to find photos of it but I don't see any for this part

Old 01-19-2016 | 02:38 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Looks like nothing is blocking it, just wonder when you had it all hooked up the vacuum line or something was pulled when you moved the stuck shifter, thus two issues at once.

Here:

Old 01-19-2016 | 02:42 PM
[My_Mini]
2nd Gear
Looks like nothing is blocking it, just wonder when you had it all hooked up the vacuum line or something was pulled when you moved the stuck shifter, thus two issues at once.

Here:

I'm going to pull it from under the tube and over and put the lines back into the tip, you're probably right about that leading to this. I'll take care of it and follow up on anything else. Thanks for the help again! 👍😅..also just to ask, should I change my transmission oil now? I mean I keep reading that lifetime is not really guaranteed

Old 01-19-2016 | 02:51 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Welcome. Let me know what you find out.

Auto trans you could do , some people do it between 80-100,000 miles or sooner

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Sit...h/24347566358/

DIY :

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...id-change.html

Old 01-19-2016 | 06:05 PM
[My_Mini]
2nd Gear
Welcome. Let me know what you find out.

Auto trans you could do , some people do it between 80-100,000 miles or sooner

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Sit...h/24347566358/

DIY :

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...id-change.html
Thanks for the link, I'll look into but I don't know if I'll be taking a risk of changing the transmission oil since I don't think it has ever been changed since I bought it. Also, is it normal for the engine to move upward as I changed the gears? To drive and reverse?

Old 01-20-2016 | 07:59 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Welcome.

The engine will serge down hair when you switch from neutral to drive, and you will feel the engine move a bit and from drive to reverse. How much it is moving, thats the question.. A lower engine mount that is bad can cause the engine to move around in the engine bay more.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ference-2.html

Old 01-24-2016 | 11:55 AM
[My_Mini]
2nd Gear
Welcome.

The engine will serge down hair when you switch from neutral to drive, and you will feel the engine move a bit and from drive to reverse. How much it is moving, thats the question.. A lower engine mount that is bad can cause the engine to move around in the engine bay more.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ference-2.html

thanks for the tip! ill look into that.
ok so I drove the car twice after I moved things around to keep things clear around the shifting area. Earlier today I was going out and then it threw a p0706 code again and the gears didn't want to shift. So now I definitely don't know what to do or how to fix the problem, any suggestions of what I can do next to make sure that's it and fix it?

Old 01-25-2016 | 07:43 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Welcome,.

All I can think of is the hard shifting ( forced ) pushed the sensor into the itself and shift selector sensor is bad. That's a sensor error. Or the shifter lug itself.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Sit...h/25162752946/

Is the PDN light changing as you move the shifter and is it lit up ?

Old 01-25-2016 | 11:16 AM
[My_Mini]
2nd Gear
Welcome,.

All I can think of is the hard shifting ( forced ) pushed the sensor into the itself and shift selector sensor is bad. That's a sensor error. Or the shifter lug itself.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Sit...h/25162752946/

Is the PDN light changing as you move the shifter and is it lit up ?
Well it does but once I put it to drive, it won't show and it stalls until it forces itself to move forward, that's when the gear signal comes out, and when I place it in park, it locks itself, so I have to turn it off and on to move it. Also smoke starts to come out from the turbo line where the heat shield is, you think it might just be the oil filter housing? I haven't changed the gasket yet, but I do have the parts ready to change.

Quick Reply: How do I remove the water tube?