Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Fan running after engine off: coincidence?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013 | 06:35 AM
millerb7
|
2nd Gear
Fan running after engine off: coincidence?

Okay, so I did an oil change this past weekend and while doing so (don't ask me how ><) I knocked off the top little hose to the coolant reservoir... the coolant seemed under pressure and sprayed out but only for about 2 seconds. I then recapped it and cleaned up my mess.

Anyways, changed the oil. Afterwards I've noticed while turning the car off the engine fan runs for about 20 seconds after the car shuts off... I never noticed this before but I bought my car in December and it's been cold as crap out.

This past weekend was the first warm weekend (75*) we have had this year... so I did the oil change. It's been about 70-76 since.

I know the fan running after engine shut off is normal but I'm more concerned with the possibility of air in my coolant system. My oil level and coolant level are fine... I check all the time.

When that hose popped off (not even sure why that was under pressure) is there a possibility air got into the system?

So is the fan now running due to the 70-76 degree temps just by coincidence since the temp is up for the first time this year... or is it possible air is in the lines causing the fan to run now?

2013 MCS with 5555 miles... YEP.

Old 04-10-2013 | 07:21 AM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by millerb7
... or is it possible air is in the lines causing the fan to run now?
I would say that what you did has nothing to do with the fan running. The coolant runs out the bottom of the reservoir. Air won’t travel down unless the reservoir was empty.

Just motor on but do keep a watchful eye on the levels.

Rich

Old 04-10-2013 | 07:24 AM
millerb7
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Rich.Wolfson
I would say that what you did has nothing to do with the fan running. The coolant runs out the bottom of the reservoir. Air won’t travel down unless the reservoir was empty.

Just motor on but do keep a watchful eye on the levels.

Rich
Thanks Rich.

One last question, if you know. Why was the coolant in that very top line under pressure? Where exactly does that lead? I didn't trace it. It'd be super easy to move the reservoir out of the way for the filter by detaching that line, but again, I'm not a fan of spilling coolant everywhere.