Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Codes present I've never seen before

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 09:31 AM
usafdrew
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Codes present I've never seen before

Took the Mini to an alignment shop after replacing tie rods. They did a courtesy check and reported that the following codes are present:

0A, D1, C0, C1E16, C1E38, 08, C1E5C, C1E1E and C1E19

I have searched these forums and the Google machine and all I can come up with is the C codes are chassis related. I couldn't find any of them specifically when searching. I asked the shop if they could tell me what it all means but all they do is read them. So I hook up the code scanner to OBDII port and get no DTC codes and everything is normal there. No SES or other warning lights and car runs normal. I would have thought that possibly the DSC system needed a reset after tie rod install, but DSC light is not on.

Please help, thanks!

Old 04-14-2013, 10:45 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
I'm just guessing....
Maybe the codes were "leftover" on the list from the last car, or the shop is trying to scare you into getting extra work...very non mini looking codes...or maybe their reader is bad....
Begs to ask...WHY did an alighnment shop plug into your odb2 port?! Just seems fishy...
I'll check s second forum site in a bit that lists all mini codes...try to see if the codes make any sense....but the number of characters is wrong...a letter and 4 numbers....

Old 04-14-2013, 11:00 AM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
i was at the local autozone to get a code read on my 1997 gms sonoma

asked if they could read codes on my 2012 mini

they said no, it needs a newer reader ... that they would get "nothing but garbage" if they read the mini

scott

Old 04-14-2013, 11:08 AM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Does the car have any symptoms or just these mystery codes? Did they give you a quote for service and the work to be done to fix these issues or just tell you there were problems and left you on your own to fix them? Did they specifically state the codes came from the OBDII system?

Old 04-14-2013, 11:10 AM
usafdrew
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm thinking along the same line as bmwr606. As in their scanner read garbage and they just wrote down whatever was displayed. I did notice the shop didn't seem to be very passionate about anything. When I asked what the codes meant, they didn't want to go any further. The very first thing I asked the manager was, can this shop do a Mini alignment. The reponse was, we'll just have to see. ZippyNH, I'm open to anything you can find. Overall I'm not stressed about the codes since the car runs fine and no warning lights are present. Just puzzling, if in fact they are real codes.

Thanks!

Edit: Motor On, the shop didn't quote me repairs since they weren't interested in figuring out what they read. Didn't ask if it was an OBDII scan or other.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:24 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
yeah...second site....5 pages of codes....NONE have ANYTHING formatted like those...
B Codes
U Codes
C Codes
Generic Codes (All Have P2 prefix)..and all the regular P codes..
think those might be junk from an incompatible ODB2 scanner?

Did the shop put weights in the car to simulate people in it like the BMW/MINI spec?
I actually had a Monroe shop, tell me, and rightly so, they did not have the weights MINI specs to put on the seats to do an "proper" alignment to spec, so they could not do one...as it would be a "hack job" (paraphraseing there). I guess they could have been BS-ing me....but seemed honest in the tech turning away $$$, rather than just trying to "make it work".

Old 04-14-2013, 11:30 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
As Motor on said or rather eluded to, they just gave you codes, did not say odbII, and you said everything seems fine....lol....
Guess life goes on..
Maybe a tech will chime in with what they are saying....if anything!!