Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

question about timing chain that skipped a cog on crankshaft..

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 09:42 PM
stevepb05s
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question about timing chain that skipped a cog on crankshaft..

Hi all, I hope maybe you have been here and done that..

I guess my home made cam sprocket tool didn't hold perfectly, and with the inch that the cam moved while loosening, i heard the skip sound from down below.

I marked the chain on the guide rail but forgot to do the crank paint marks.

Am I wrong in my assumption, that if I simply line the marked sprocket on the cam with the marked chain spot, then the only way the sprocket will fit on the cam is the correct way?

I want to avoid pulling the timing cover but will if there is any chance for bad omen..

also, I hate to admit it, but I stripped one of the guide rail end cap hex bolts a bit. I got it off, but i want to renew it to prevent any future removal issues. I can't seem to find the part online...any ideas?

Thanks everyone!!

Steve

Old 04-16-2013, 09:34 AM
Nitro Jake
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stevepb05s
... i heard the skip sound from down below.
not possible, AFAIK. the timing cover will prevent this. however, if there is any doubt you need to remove the timing cover to re-align it. there is a green paint stripe on top of the crank that points at the sky but you cannot accurately gauge TDC with it.

Am I wrong in my assumption, that if I simply line the marked sprocket on the cam with the marked chain spot, then the only way the sprocket will fit on the cam is the correct way?

I want to avoid pulling the timing cover but will if there is any chance for bad omen..
That sounds correct if I'm reading it properly. you've gotta be darn sure nothing slipped though. If the cam sprocket is aligned with the chain properly, then cam installation is idiot-proof and will only fasten itself correctly.

also, I hate to admit it, but I stripped one of the guide rail end cap hex bolts a bit. I got it off, but i want to renew it to prevent any future removal issues. I can't seem to find the part online...any ideas?
#4 in this picture. call your local dealer