Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

2002 cooper... Wierd Electrical Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 07:56 AM
rush_ussr
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 cooper... Wierd Electrical Issue

Hello,

Just purchased a 2002 mini cooper (100k) a week ago and experiencing an issue. Once I come to a complete stop and turn my car off it seems to loose all the electrical power. I wait about a minute and everything come back online…. Clock and odometer resets to 0… as if someone disconnected a battery cable… Has anyone seen this issue? I checked the batter y connection and they are secure.

Second issue air bag light came on… did some searching and the blue and yellow connectors under driver seat were not all the way in… I put them back in but I guess now I have to reset the airbag light somehow?

Thank You.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:12 AM
minibx
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have the battery tested, some members said that MINIs do weird stuff when the battery it's about done, Autozone could help with that. good luck

Old 04-24-2013, 09:34 AM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Check also that the ground wires in the engine compartment and on the battery are tight

Old 06-19-2018, 11:47 AM
TRAVR6
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Anyone else having these issues?

I have recently changed out a bad clock spring. I think it still worked after that.

Then I disconnected the battery so I could do the headliner. I think this is when it stopped.

If I set the clock, it resets to ----- when I start the car again.
I have checked the cables on the battery and they seem fine.

Any ideas what else this issue could be?

Old 06-19-2018, 12:44 PM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 180 Likes on 168 Posts
rush_ussr: +1 on checking the battery, have the battery Load Tested, more than likely it is on its last leg and will need to be replaced soon. But also make sure the Alternator is charging as well. With the engine running you should read 14.2 volts or so at the battery. And yes, double check your ground straps on the engine to chassis.

My money is on the battery just having a bad cell.

I would have to double check but I 'm positive the AirBag error code has to be cleared with an OBDII tool.

TRAVR6: What year is your car? You mention clock spring and I scratch my head... mine are digital ... no springs, gears, or windings. If it is a headliner mounted clock just double check you are plugged in all the way. and also check to make sure the wires have not been pulled out from the connector.

Best of luck.

Motor On!

Old 06-19-2018, 02:26 PM
TRAVR6
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JABowders
rush_ussr: +1 on checking the battery, have the battery Load Tested, more than likely it is on its last leg and will need to be replaced soon. But also make sure the Alternator is charging as well. With the engine running you should read 14.2 volts or so at the battery. And yes, double check your ground straps on the engine to chassis.

My money is on the battery just having a bad cell.

I would have to double check but I 'm positive the AirBag error code has to be cleared with an OBDII tool.

TRAVR6: What year is your car? You mention clock spring and I scratch my head... mine are digital ... no springs, gears, or windings. If it is a headliner mounted clock just double check you are plugged in all the way. and also check to make sure the wires have not been pulled out from the connector.

Best of luck.

Motor On!
2006 R53.
The clock spring is what it was called. It kept the horn from working.
It spun completely around and never stopped.

My clock is on the gauges above the steering wheel.

Clock works fine while driving if I set it. As soon as I shut the car off it resets to -----