Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Power Steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2002, 06:20 PM
Ryokosha
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a MCS. When I started it today after work, the power steering didn't work. The car was very difficult to turn. I drove it around the parking lot and the power steering seemed to come back. As I headed home, it was ok when I didn't turn hard, but when I slowed to turn at intersections, the power steering again didn't work. Anyone had this problem?? Haven't had the 3.1 software upgrade yet (my dealer just got the ability to do it). Got 5,000 miles on the MCS. Rattles, cold weather starting problems, and now power steering . . . not what I expected. Hope my wife's MC is better (it arrived yesterday).
Thanks

Old 10-24-2002, 06:35 PM
dwoody1000
1st Gear
Sorry to hear of your problem. I do know that on my Cooper, (which runs and works beyond what I expected), the power steering is a powered by a seperate electric motor and possibly that needs to be replaced. Take her and in and let us know what was repaired.

Woody

Old 10-24-2002, 08:52 PM
kensmini
3rd Gear
Head to the dealer right away about the power steering issue! The CD31 software doesn't affect the PS.

Old 10-24-2002, 09:35 PM
Hibou
2nd Gear
I had a similar problem on my BMW, I do not konw however if the reason is the same, but on my car there was a leak and the power steering fluid was too low so in the corners or in grades, the power steering would be erratic or fail to work.

Good luck, go to the dealer, do not attempt to put fluid unless your are sure what you are doing.

Very expensive to repair and not covered by warranty if you do a mistake or do not put the right thing in there.

Old 10-25-2002, 01:19 AM
SemiImbecille
1st Gear
>>I had a similar problem on my BMW, I do not konw however if the reason is the same, but on my car there was a leak and the power steering fluid was too low so in the corners or in grades, the power steering would be erratic or fail to work.
>>
>>Good luck, go to the dealer, do not attempt to put fluid unless your are sure what you are doing.
>>
>>Very expensive to repair and not covered by warranty if you do a mistake or do not put the right thing in there.
>>
>>

There is no power steering fluid in the mini, the power steering is all electric...

Old 10-25-2002, 09:05 AM
Rocketboy_X
6th Gear
>>There is no power steering fluid in the mini, the power steering is all electric...

More reason not to add fluid...

Rocketboy_X

Old 10-25-2002, 09:13 AM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is that why it's so loud?

Old 10-25-2002, 11:12 AM
Rocketboy_X
6th Gear
>>Is that why it's so loud?

Yep... it does sound rather... errr.. cheap when you're at low speeds (when it's working the hardest).. hey, it's still better then my old car (non-power steering, w/the turning radius of a drunken cow)...

Rocketboy_X

Old 10-28-2002, 09:26 AM
Ryokosha
1st Gear
Thanks for the replies. Took my MCS to the shop today. They replaced the power steering pump. No explanation for why it went out. The service manager said this was the first problem he'd seen with a power steering pump failure.

>>I have a MCS. When I started it today after work, the power steering didn't work. The car was very difficult to turn. I drove it around the parking lot and the power steering seemed to come back. As I headed home, it was ok when I didn't turn hard, but when I slowed to turn at intersections, the power steering again didn't work. Anyone had this problem?? Haven't had the 3.1 software upgrade yet (my dealer just got the ability to do it). Got 5,000 miles on the MCS. Rattles, cold weather starting problems, and now power steering . . . not what I expected. Hope my wife's MC is better (it arrived yesterday).
>>Thanks