Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Anyone else felt a mid-throttle surge on the S?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2002, 05:00 PM
Sasha
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've felt a bit of surging at mid-throttle around 3-3.5K on my new S and was wondering if any other S owners are experiencing it as well.

So far I've deduced that the A/C has nothing to do w/it. It doesn't seem to matter as to load either. I've only had it for 5 days so I'm still doing research.

Thanks
Electric Blue/White S Sport w/17s :???:

Old 06-06-2002, 05:56 PM
Sfiveten
5th Gear
Sasha,
I'm not an owner yet but have been for a few test drives of the S.
Not seeing it first hand I really can't offer much....... The only thing I can think of is that the Power band kicks in at around 3K..... This may be causing a little surge in that area.
Have you discussed it with your dealer? If so what did they say.
Hope it works out for you.

By the way..... Welcome to the site.
If you can post some pics of your new baby in our "Members MINIs" gallery.
SW

Old 06-06-2002, 06:24 PM
Solo
1st Gear
Sasha.

I own a Mini S and this cars have a ´´recall´´ from factory, perhaps yours did not receive the notice yet, but they need to replace the ´´ vibration damper ´´ or more useful name, the crankshaft pulley, if you look at older notices on this same forum under the bonnet, I wrote to all of you guys about my problem, the dealer did not delivery my Mini S until they change the part [vibration damper], I was very uncomfortable with the dealer, but after they explain to me the problem, I agree to wait and it is better not been involve in another kind of problems.

Yours seem to me that you already begins to have the sintoms of that failure, if the ´´ vibration damper ´´ begins to fail, your main belt will not work properly, so alternator, water pump, a/c and supercharger pulleys will loose tension or lost ´´speed ´´ and that will cause that surge.

This is only my opinion, but beeing involved on that previously, perhaps my opinion could help you and your dealer.

I ask to my dealer to gave me the part # and the recall # too, still I am waiting for it, to pass it to all of you.

Good luck

>>Sasha,
>>I'm not an owner yet but have been for a few test drives of the S.
>>Not seeing it first hand I really can't offer much....... The only thing I can think of is that the Power band kicks in at around 3K..... This may be causing a little surge in that area.
>>Have you discussed it with your dealer? If so what did they say.
>>Hope it works out for you.
>>
>>By the way..... Welcome to the site.
>>If you can post some pics of your new baby in our "Members MINIs" gallery.
>>SW

Old 06-06-2002, 06:30 PM
Solo
1st Gear
Sasha.

Part # 11237514461

Good luck to all of you.

Old 06-07-2002, 12:51 PM
Sasha
1st Gear
Thanks for all the input. When I wrote the question I had read about the recall on the vibration damper but did not think they would be related. I hope not. I think not.

I am going to call around today and will post what I find.

Old 06-07-2002, 01:29 PM
Tollag
4th Gear
I know that this problem has been eliminated on the car, but maybe turbo lag? Every Porsche I've been in, along with Saabs, have such a surge at 3000rpms... This is just the Turbo Charger kicking in...

Old 06-07-2002, 05:08 PM
Solo
1st Gear
My Mini S did not have any ´´ lag or surge ´´ at any speed or RPM, most of my driving scene it is in highway and a two line road, so my RPM always is around 3.5 to 6.5 RPM and runs smooth and quickly.
I have a Audi TT and it have the famous turbo lag but the Mini not, so this is my experience, by the way, the Mini S it is faster than the TT. [code:1:3a45573d72] [/code:1:3a45573d72]

Old 06-08-2002, 09:19 AM
minimp
1st Gear
Just for your info, most turbos have lag, but not superchargers.
However both will kick-in at an RPM range typically 2500-5500rpm.
Much smoother powerband on the superchargers, but turbos can kick quite
a bit depending on the boost and other things.

Old 06-11-2002, 12:10 AM
GreyCooperS
1st Gear
right now I have a supercharged mustang. there is a power surge on mine as well..most supercharges do that. when im on the throttle full, when the blower kicks in full there is a nice pull in the seat

Old 06-11-2002, 12:12 PM
p1rana
1st Gear
superchargers might give you some extra surge but they should come on smoothly and progressively as the car gets going. could it be something with the valve timing, sort of like vtec can sometimes do, i think...

Old 06-25-2002, 09:24 AM
InSiDeOuT
1st Gear
Tollag - Cooper S has no Turbocharger !!

Old 08-27-2002, 08:51 PM
Ted
1st Gear
I was rooting around in the archives and found this original post by Sasha:

"I've felt a bit of surging at mid-throttle around 3-3.5K on my new S and was wondering if any other S owners are experiencing it as well.

So far I've deduced that the A/C has nothing to do w/it. It doesn't seem to matter as to load either. I've only had it for 5 days so I'm still doing research."

I have the exact same problem with my MCS. It looks like the thread pooped out before anyone posted a fix. Did you get it solved?

Old 03-26-2003, 02:07 PM
Agro
Coordinator :: Sin City MINI Club & AMVIV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone ever come up with an answer to this? When I am accelerating at about 1/2 throttle, I can notice a kind of forward & back surging. It's almost like when you are accelerating in an automatic at right about the revs where it wants to change gears, and so it drops down, then changes back up, then down, then up again, except no-where near as pronounced. My wife can't feel it from the passenger seat. I don't get it when my foot is flat to the floor though.

My MCS was built in September 2002.

Old 03-26-2003, 02:10 PM
Pebble
4th Gear
Mine used to do this when it was cold.

now I have 7500 miles I don't have it anymore.

Old 03-26-2003, 03:23 PM
Agro
Coordinator :: Sin City MINI Club & AMVIV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm getting it even when the engine is nice and warm, and I'm at 3600+ miles. I haven't really noticed it before, but that's probably since this is the 1st tank since I finished break-in that I have really used the accelerator at anything but floored or off. I'm trying to see if I can get above 23mpg out of a tank. :smile:

Old 03-26-2003, 04:34 PM
rory
3rd Gear
Mine used to do it too. I put a BMP intake on it and it helped, but the surge was still there, only not as bad. I did the Randy airbox mod and the surge went bye bye and hasn't returned. From this I'm assuming it has something to do with the amount of air, or lack of, allowed to flow to the motor. I could be wrong, and I'm sure someone will tell me I am, but it worked for me. Another plus is the amount of power received from the two mods.

Old 03-28-2003, 04:26 PM
Astro
3rd Gear
Maybe it is just the way the ECU is mapped when boost comes on?

Definitely double check your ground connections on your battery. Without a good ground, electrical systems no worky so good.
Given the fact that you have a computer controlling virtually all parameters of your engine, a poor ground could cause all kinds of strange things to happen. It is sensing for knock, monitoring oxygen levels, exhaust temperatures, all kinds of stuff. Bad data or mis-interpreted data could cause lumpy acceleration. Granted, this is a long shot, but worth popping the bonnet for!