Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Replacement key fob

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013 | 08:11 AM
peatun
2nd Gear
I haven't looked into it because I haven't needed to but this might be worth looking into.

When you play around with the software coding (NCSexpert and INPA) and such there is a few buttons and options for key coding. Check out bmwcoding.com and see if there is a way to program these yourself.

Old 11-10-2014 | 11:09 AM
oldkid6
2nd Gear
Key FOB help

Rather than post a new thread, I am going to respond to this because I have been searching for answers regarding key fobs. This post is the closest one I have found to relate to my problem.

I just purchased a 2012 Cooper S that only came with one fob. I have scoured the webs to find specific answers without success. The one key fob I do have is not working properly, opens the doors via the buttons, starts the car only when inserted into "key slot". The comfort access feature does not work. I called the dealer and the service adviser was stumped. He said it should work if it opens your doors, therefore I have to bring it in.

I then asked how much it would cost for a new key fob. He said non comfort access $250, comfort access $500. That is robbery! In my searches for a cheaper way to do it, almost everyone says there's no way around the dealer.

I guess my question is; Is there any way around buying one from the dealer? I was reluctant to buy one for $250, but $500 is positively a no way situation.

Old 11-10-2014 | 11:25 AM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
this is why when I went with my co worker to buy his first MINI I made sure they had BOTH FOB's, should be a sticky for things to know when buying a used MINI.

The following users liked this post:
azyre (06-02-2022)
Old 11-10-2014 | 11:36 AM
oldkid6
2nd Gear
It's expensive and annoying, yes, but it would not have been a deal breaker.

Old 11-10-2014 | 02:14 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by oldkid6
Rather than post a new thread, I am going to respond to this because I have been searching for answers regarding key fobs. This post is the closest one I have found to relate to my problem.

I just purchased a 2012 Cooper S that only came with one fob. I have scoured the webs to find specific answers without success. The one key fob I do have is not working properly, opens the doors via the buttons, starts the car only when inserted into "key slot". The comfort access feature does not work. I called the dealer and the service adviser was stumped. He said it should work if it opens your doors, therefore I have to bring it in.

I then asked how much it would cost for a new key fob. He said non comfort access $250, comfort access $500. That is robbery! In my searches for a cheaper way to do it, almost everyone says there's no way around the dealer.

I guess my question is; Is there any way around buying one from the dealer? I was reluctant to buy one for $250, but $500 is positively a no way situation.
See if the dealer can reprogram the fob you already have for less money. It should work Comfort Access, I'm sure you tried a new battery already. Heck, I think the whole Comfort Acess option was $500 on my 2007 Mini. It's the thing I miss the most that's for sure.

Old 11-10-2014 | 03:14 PM
oldkid6
2nd Gear
I called Mini USA and they basically told me each dealer sets their own prices.

So I then called another dealer about an hour away, the parts dept. quoted $160 without programming, which is an hour labor. It costs a little more if you get a cut key, but since I already have one of those I only need a another programmed remote.

It should end up costing around $250, that sounds almost reasonable after almost being raped for $500.

Old 11-10-2014 | 03:25 PM
Joeygonz
5th Gear
Not sure if follow this thread correctly because I am having a POS day here at work but I think this might help...

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/pts/4732175275.html

Old 11-10-2014 | 05:40 PM
troyegly
4th Gear
What is it with the 2012 JCW previous owners? I bought one not too long ago and only one key also, thankfully comfort access works!

I got pricing on the net and I believe key and fob was a little shy of $250.00 plus programming

Old 11-10-2014 | 05:50 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear

I have asked my dealer how much it cost to replace a key FOB with comfort access, $500 and they have to send them to Germany to be programmed.

Old 11-10-2014 | 06:02 PM
oldkid6
2nd Gear
After researching many forums including this thread, there seems to be few facts about cost and who can program the remotes.

The dealer says the FOB has to be purchased and programmed by them. Yet there are people selling them all over. And then I found this:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5839775_prog...ni-cooper.html

It seems like it would make sense to just buy a remote on the cheap and try programming it following these instructions. I haven't heard anyone trying this method.

Old 11-10-2014 | 08:31 PM
LILYisatig3r
3rd Gear
After researching many forums including this thread, there seems to be few facts about cost and who can program the remotes. The dealer says the FOB has to be purchased and programmed by them. Yet there are people selling them all over. And then I found this: http://www.ehow.com/how_5839775_prog...ni-cooper.html It seems like it would make sense to just buy a remote on the cheap and try programming it following these instructions. I haven't heard anyone trying this method.
If anyone has successfully done this or plans on giving it a try soon, please share your advice! If I can just do this myself, I'd rather go that route than paying $200 for a keyfob.

Old 11-13-2014 | 08:43 AM
oldkid6
2nd Gear
Just to try and put an end to this key fob issue for anyone who runs into this problem in the future...here goes.

I called three auto locksmiths, the first one said he could make a duplicate key and remote fob programmed for $195. The second locksmith said he would not touch it because it's essentially a BMW and their security systems and keys are "very specific". He said you could get a cheap remote knock off on Ebay but they are junk and would not trust it. He then said the only place to go for a "real key" is the dealer. This locksmith was from the UK, does that matter? The third locksmith said they could only go up to 2006 on Mini Coopers, he then also referred me to go dealer only.

The guy from the UK told me either way, if I were to get someone to do it other than the dealer that I'm still going to pay at least $200 to $300 because it has to be programmed. That was another thing he mentioned, he said only the dealer has the ability to properly program their keys, he has no way of copying it. Anyway, he said since you have to pay a few hundred dollars either way to get a replacement key, that I may as well get it from a reliable source. He said if anything were to go wrong with that key he would have customers banging on his door constantly and it's just not worth the trouble.

So there you have it, it seems that the dealer actually does have us when it comes to extra key fobs. Forget Ebay, and trying to program it yourself, it's not going to work. Just shop all around for a dealer who give you the best price. Because my local dealer is 50% more expensive than the one an hour away.

Good Luck!

Old 01-16-2018 | 06:08 AM
billford
Neutral
Originally Posted by Systemlord
I have asked my dealer how much it cost to replace a key FOB with comfort access, $500 and they have to send them to Germany to be programmed.
Well you must consider contacting nearby auto locksmith , may be they can help you getting the new key FOB.

Old 01-16-2018 | 06:22 PM
oldkid6
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by billford
Well you must consider contacting nearby auto locksmith , may be they can help you getting the new key FOB.
Auto locksmiths won't touch a Mini or BMW, I have tried and all of them say that you have to go through the dealership to get a new key due their encryption codes on their software.

I got the same quote from my Mini dealer for remote FOB w/comfort access, it's re-GD-diculous!!!

Old 01-17-2018 | 05:56 PM
sgscomps
4th Gear
Remotes and cut keys come from a US warehouse if you live in the US. Not sure where keys overseas come from but I assume Germany. All drivers door lock cylinders come Germany even if your in the US.

Remotes can’t be reprogrammed by the dealer, they are made vin specific. If your car is not equipped with comfort access then no dealer programming is required. If you car is equipped with comfort access and you want that feature to work on the new remote then the dealer has to program it to the car and each dealer sets their own price for programming.

If you order a remote and blank key from eBay or some other website the dealer can't do anything for you, no programming it to work and no cutting the blank key, you wasted your money.

Old 06-05-2022 | 07:49 PM
llabreell
Neutral
BMW is worse than Apple

Originally Posted by Errant
Nice! What dealer was that? MINI Ontario wanted $270 from me, so I declined. Would love to have a second key, though!
lucky ya'll.. MY jerk dealer quoted me $800 to replace my lost fob that slipped off my key.. coulda been ANYWHERE, played a lot of Pokemon that day-left myself stranded.. Had my actual key still hanging on my keychain, so i could get IN my car-just couldnt actually START the damn thing without the fob. 🤬🤬🤬

Personally, i have been a die hard mini fan for nearly 2 decades. But, having learned that BMW has chosen to hold the ability for me to operate MY OWN vehicle (that btw, which i saved for 8 yrs to buy, and purchased FROM THE DEALERSHIP, with a cashiers check for full sticker price-didnt even ask for so much as a 50 cent discount) HOSTAGE, by COMPLETELY monopolizing the market for these little bits of cheap plastic, until i hand them $800?!?!
All I can say at this pt is: lesson learned, folks. These r not the kind of ppl i care to do business with. Am currently getting it ready to sell while I shop for a car brand that can operate at least A LITTLE more ethically.

Sorry for the rant-am just REALLY angry about this experience. ✌️

The following users liked this post:
Harmini_MN (06-06-2022)
Old 06-06-2022 | 12:55 PM
Lobotomy
1st Gear
I mean, really, how bad could it be to just remove the fob assembly altogether and rig it to something like a Ford key cylinder? At a certain point down that line, there's got to be some give in the car's security system, just the same as the absolute gooseberry that is the turn-of-the-millenium Jeep keyset. I've already had this entire car apart, so getting to that stuff isn't a problem. I want to know at what point the key is decrypted in the system, because the point right after that is where you'd tap in for a normal ignition cylinder. Unlike most Krautmobile owners, I'm not afraid of finding out, but I'd like to know where to look while I still have the dash out. Any leads as to which PCB or junction makes the handshake? Any well engineered circuit will have probe points that break every trace or lead out for diagnostics. Find the two or four you need to send the car an "The Key is in and the checksum is OK" signal, hook it up to a logic analyzer, and see if BMW is stupid enough to show you the decryption key in plaintext. Then you can program your new fobs, or bypass it altogether and put a normal, non-stupid key, in the car.

I know people are apprehensive about working on these cars, but I've seen far more impressive things done to far more complicated systems. If the past 10 years of technological development has taught the world anything, it's that no encryption is truly safe, and definitely not one from the Windows XP/Vista era.

Sit'chiate your peepers to this for a sec:

Last edited by Lobotomy; 06-06-2022 at 01:10 PM.