Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Oil on plug, various other issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 09:00 PM
erbair
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil on plug, various other issues

Hello,

Short version:
- 2 random misfires on all cylinders in past 6 months
- Occasional stutter and 'clicks' from engine bay when moving from light throttle to moderate throttle in 2nd & 3rd gear between 2k-3k RPM
-Small amounts of oil on cyl 3 spark plug tip, trace amounts on cyl 4 spark plug tip

TLTR:

2009 R56, 41k miles. I have had the RMW tune installed for about 30k miles, but rarely hammer the car - usually only freeway onramps and occassional fun. Also have intercooler and DOS intake, BSH Catch can. I had the car Walnut Blasted around 25k-30k miles just before installing catch can.

In the last 6 months or so, I had 2 occasions where I got CEL, and both times it was for misfire on Cylinder 1,2,3,4 - P0300-P0304. Both times was at partial throttle with no noticeable event - no stutter, sound, bad performance, etc.

Unrelated to this, in the last two months, I have had rare occurrence where moving from light throttle to moderate throttle when the cruising at between 2k-3k RPMs, and only in 2nd & 3rd gear there is a loss of power and burst of quick clicks from the engine bay - not too loud, but definitely audible. This did happen once when I had the tune installed, and the 'clicks' were much louder. I immediately removed the tune to see if that resolved the problem, which it didn't but I am keeping stock for now anyway.

Since I still occasionally have the issue, I decided to opt for spark plug change. Plug 3 has a little bit of oil on the tip, and plug 4 had a barely noticeable amount as well.

All of this has me a bit concerned, so I am looking for suggestions - the warranty is up in July, so I would like to try to get any issues fixed, but my concern is that the CEL has only happened twice at random, and it does not consistently have the 'clicking', so I expect the stealership to just say they can't reproduce.

I have done as much research as I can on these and none of it sounds too promising, so I thought I would ask the experts.

Thank you!

Old 05-19-2013, 10:24 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Check the thread I started a couple weeks ago --- https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...c-install.html
Before installing the "tee", I had a couple misfires on a cold engine --- probably oil in the combustion chamber, don't really know for sure, but haven't had it since the "tee' install.
Quick check is to look at the turbo air inlet for oil residue. No oil indicates a that blow-by is probably not a problem.

I'm responding to this because your issues are a lot like the ones I blame on my OCC install. You might want to check yours.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:01 AM
erbair
1st Gear
Thanks! For now I just removed the plug on the passenger side line. While it won't help prevent carbon buildup, it will be fine for now until I have a bit of time to tee it off or setup a breather.

The good news is, I have not seen the same problems pop up.

The bad news is that when I cold-start the car, it will sometimes be extremely rough and won't recover itself - giving it a bit of gas does nothing but make it angrier. I have found that if I start it and it is rough, if I immediately turn it off, then back on, then it runs fine.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Old 06-13-2013, 12:21 AM
nrfitchett4
3rd Gear
Not sure of your problem, but I mentioned the walnut shell blasting to Euro San Antonio when picking up my MCS for timing chain replacement and they recommended against it. Said that they had 3 customers get it done and they had head problems afterwards. Recommended moly lube in the gas tank which doesn't make sense with DI but they work on a lot of mini's and seem to know their stuff.

Curious if anyone else had the walnut blasting done and developed problems.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:15 AM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Lube in the gas tank will do precisely nothing for buildup in the intake ports. The gas never even sees the back side of the intake valves or the intake port, so there is no way that putting something in the gas will affect buildup there.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:50 AM
nrfitchett4
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Slave to Felines
Lube in the gas tank will do precisely nothing for buildup in the intake ports. The gas never even sees the back side of the intake valves or the intake port, so there is no way that putting something in the gas will affect buildup there.
that's what I've been reading. Weird the SA suggested it. Going to seafoam it and see how much crud blows out.