Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

My clutch pedal cover keeps falling off!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 06:21 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tried searching around, but didn't see this problem discussed anywhere. At some point this winter, I noticed that the rubber pad covering my clutch pedal had come off and was just sitting on the floormat. I was able to stretch it back on, but it didn't really feel like I'd done it right. Sure enough, a week later it was on the floor again. As far as I can tell, there are only two ways to install it. There's a rubber lip all the way around the back that surrounds the metal pedal, and there's also a straight section that cuts off one section of the circle, so that there's a wider section of rubber (sorry, I can't think of a better way to describe it!). That side can go on the left or the right, but either way I can't get the thing to stay on.

Am I missing something, or should I just throw it in the glovebox until my next service? It doesn't significantly hinder my driving when it's missing, but I just want it to be there (aesthetics, resale, etc.).

And please refrain from telling me to buy aftermarket pedals - not interested.

Lost my digicam this weekend, so I can't post a photo.

*clicks his way over to DiD's digicam thread*

Thanks!
Chris

Old 04-27-2004, 06:33 AM
MeanGRN
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chris, PM me. I just installed Racing pedals this weekend and I think I have both the clutch and brake pedal covers that you can have. just pay for shipping. Just a FYI the clutch pedal arm is plastic not metal.

Cheers,

JD

Old 04-27-2004, 06:47 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Thanks JD, I appreciate that, but I'm not sure it would help. I don't think my pedal cover is deformed or otherwise any different than the one you'd send me. It appears to have just popped off somehow, and I can't figure out the right way to get it back on.

hmm, for a couple of dollars, though, maybe I should give it a shot... I'll mull it over and PM you if I'm interested. Thanks again!

Old 04-27-2004, 06:54 AM
MeanGRN
2nd Gear
Chris, if you look inside the pedal cover you will see that there is a flat spot on inside the cover that coinsides with the flat top to the pedal. Try to match these up when you reinstall the cover. Try to pull on the side "skirts" of the cover when installing it. Also it helps to wet it just a little with plain water. This will evaporate off after the pedal cover is back on. Hope this helps you.

Cheers,

JD

Old 04-28-2004, 08:33 AM
orvillespooner
2nd Gear
This is a common problem, my pedal has come off more times than I can count. I have tried all sorts of glue and nothing works. Dealer just looks at me like they never heard of it. I cut off the extra over hang under the pedal because it was catching on my shoe, did not help. Shoe will catch rubber and pull it off. This frankly drives me nuts.

Old 04-28-2004, 10:42 AM
pocketrocketowner
Banned
What you need is a good car upholstery glue.....ask at NAPA.....the Ford OEM stuff seems to be the best IME.

Old 04-28-2004, 10:48 AM
dandp
6th Gear
after my clutch pedal rubber got worn and fell off, I just bought the MCS pedal covers.....no worries since. Just go to the dealer and get another cover.....

Old 04-30-2004, 06:54 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Thanks for the responses, all. My car's actually in the body shop right now, getting damage repaired that some dillhole inflicted on my car while parked. Soon as I have it back (probably Monday), I'll see what works.

Thanks again! :smile:

Old 04-30-2004, 07:03 AM
atn57
4th Gear
drill hole? huh?

Old 04-30-2004, 07:12 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Dillhole! Didn't you ever watch Beavis & Butthead?

Old 04-30-2004, 07:16 AM
atn57
4th Gear
dillhole
15 votes

Often used by the legendayr Beavis and Butthead

Beavis, you dillhole.

Source: Nexox Enigma, Nov 26, 2002
recommend for deletion | send to a friend

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
dillhole
6 votes

someone who is totally useless at everything. Essentially the same as a "Bungmunch." Someone totally worthless.

"That guy is the biggest dillhole I've ever known. His mama even thinks he sucks."

tony

Old 04-30-2004, 07:36 AM
greatgro
6th Gear
Mine falls off all the time also. That's why I've been looking at aftermarket pedals but have found none that I like yet....

Old 04-30-2004, 08:00 AM
jsun
6th Gear
Oh wow, I'd forgotten about this one... On my 02 MCS, the clutch pedal cover and the brake cover kept falling off. The clutch came off more than the brake, but that was probably due to the fact that I spend more time stepping on the clutch than the brake. Anyhow, after about the first 6 months of ownership, I "upgraded" to the 2003 pedal covers (which are metal and rubber, not all rubber) and they've stayed put ever since.

Apparently the 2002 pedal rubber wasn't up to snuff in terms of being trod upon by us heavy-footed Americans. No doubt the British are more dainty, and the Germans probably have some sort of special composite material shoes that bond at a molecular level with the pedal :evil: ).

Old 04-30-2004, 08:24 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
I have an 03 MCS that came with rubber pedals that did fall off.
I upgraded to the metal and rubber pedal covers and they always stay on now- just make sure that they are oriented the correct way and the rubber is all the way over the back of the pedal itself so it cannot work it's way off again. I didn't glue it and it has held in place for 10,000 miles so far.

My upgraded pedals (these became standard on MCS a few months after I got mine in 2/03)

Old 05-01-2004, 04:15 AM
pocketrocketowner
Banned
I've got them!! thought everyone had them! something else I can look down my nose at the normal MINI for.....coooool....my pedals are better than yours.....

Old 05-03-2004, 02:54 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Hm. Car came back from the body shop with the pedal cover reattached (I half expected it to be missing altogether). I doubt it'll stay there, but just in case, I'm not touching it! I'll check back into this thread as soon as history repeats itself.

Old 05-03-2004, 02:58 PM
lotsie
Banned
>>Hm. Car came back from the body shop with the pedal cover reattached (I half expected it to be missing altogether). I doubt it'll stay there, but just in case, I'm not touching it! I'll check back into this thread as soon as history repeats itself.

Old 05-03-2004, 03:04 PM
lotsie
Banned
>>I've got them!! thought everyone had them! something else I can look down my nose at the normal MINI for.....coooool....my pedals are better than yours.....

Old 05-03-2004, 03:40 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Forget the rubber garbage pads. Try this:

http://www.cooperaccessories.com/cat...roducts_id=187

Old 05-03-2004, 03:53 PM
lotsie
Banned
Msfitoy, not much snow in your parts with those pedals,nice though

Old 05-03-2004, 07:06 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Yes...it snow a lot around here but I'm not in it with Msfit. Still, the serations on pedals don't slip. I'm going to add textured non skid to it when I take her to the track just for added safety in case I get oil on my soles. Not on the gas pedal of course

Old 05-04-2004, 08:01 AM
BMWNA
3rd Gear
I'm with MINI USA. The problem you are experiencing sounds like a job for your MINI service center. We'd be happy to contact your dealer for you. If you would like us to do so, please phone us at (866) ASK MINI and mention Reference # 200412500110 so that we can help you more efficiently.

Old 05-04-2004, 08:20 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
>>I'm with MINI USA. The problem you are experiencing sounds like a job for your MINI service center. We'd be happy to contact your dealer for you. If you would like us to do so, please phone us at (866) ASK MINI and mention Reference # 200412500110 so that we can help you more efficiently.<<

Oh, give me a freaking break! MINIDivison, kindly smooch me where the sun doesn't shine. I'm sure MINI would be happy to replace my pedal covers with crappy ones just like them. While I'm at it, can I get a new crappy windshield and a new crappy transmission, too? What a joke... How about redesigning the parts that suck, instead of this lame and insulting lip service about wanting to help?!

Old 05-04-2004, 08:21 AM
pxlmxr
2nd Gear
MINIDivision,

I have been having the same problem with my brake pedal cover and recently called my dealer to try and order a set of "S" pedal covers instead. The dealership informed me that the "S" set is no longer available to purchase and has been discontinued! Is this true? Is there any way I can get a set anyway?

The "S" pedals are the only set that I have seen that I would consider installing in my car. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

-S

Old 05-04-2004, 08:24 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
>>MINIDivision,
>>I have been having the same problem with my brake pedal cover and recently called my dealer to try and order a set of "S" pedal covers instead. The dealership informed me that the "S" set is no longer available to purchase and has been discontinued! Is this true? Is there any way I can get a set anyway?<<

pxlmxr, looks like you haven't paid much attention to MINIDivision's posting style. They jump in once, and only once, to each thread they deign to acknowledge, never to be seen again. It's all a bunch of BS; don't hold your breath waiting for a response.

Quick Reply: My clutch pedal cover keeps falling off!